Rust Repair Estimates - The Acura Legend & Acura RL Forum
Acura Legend Forum Acura Legend Forum

Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   The Acura Legend & Acura RL Forum > Acura Legend > Second Generation Legend (1991-1995)

Second Generation Legend (1991-1995)

Acura-Legend.com is the premier Acura Legend Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-05-08, 07:41 PM   #1 (permalink)

Car 1: 91 Acura Legend LS

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Rust Repair Estimates

I recently bought a 91 legend L sedan but because I was so eager to get off the bus I rushed it and now I'm stuck with a car that has already cost me more to repair than to buy. What I would like to know is how much would it cost to repair the rust or if its even worth the investment. I have a small area on the quarter panels that has rusted through, 3 of the 4 door sills have rusted through, driver side wheel well is rusting and there is about three spots around the windshield. I got a bunch of pics maybe somebody can who has had this or a similar problem can help me out.
Attached Thumbnails
Rust Repair Estimates-driver-side-front-door-sill.jpg   Rust Repair Estimates-driver-side-quarter-panel.jpg   Rust Repair Estimates-driver-side-quarter-panel-inside-trunk.jpg   Rust Repair Estimates-driver-side-rear-door-sill.jpg   Rust Repair Estimates-driver-side-rear-wheel-well.jpg  

Nosco is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-05-08, 09:28 PM   #2 (permalink)
The Great White North

Car 1: 95 Black on Black LS 6-speed

iTrader Score: 1 reviews
damn dude. that thing has seen far too many harsh ontario winters
Hopefully you didnt pay too much for it.
As long as it runs well for now, drive it like it is. Think about selling it / parting it out eventually, and buying a nicer legend when you have the $.
That thing is full of car cancer and i'm afraid it may be terminal

Installed:
JDM Headlights with HID Retrofit,
Weapon-R Secret Weapon, Remus Exhaust,
Metal Substrate High Flow Cat,
MLS Copy Bar, Addco Rear Sway Bar,
Eibach Springs on Koni Reds,
Blackend Engine Damper, 17" RSX A-spec Rims
tw1st is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-08, 09:59 PM   #3 (permalink)

Car 1: '91 LS Sedan

iTrader Score: 3 reviews
Send a message via MSN to MagicMikey
Those rust spots have to definitely be replaced with metal. It's hard to give you an accurate estimate but you're looking at over a thousand dollars for a good job.
Old 04-05-08, 11:04 PM   #4 (permalink)

Car 1: '93 Acura Legend L Coupe [sold]
Car 2: '92 Lexus SC400

Send a message via AIM to STR8H00D201
i went to two places to get an estimate the 1st place i went to wanted $3,000 for the job and said it wasnt even worth bothering because how old my car is and the amount of miles it has. the 2nd place i went to wanted $2,500..

pics of my car
got 150k on my legend today (pics)
STR8H00D201 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-08, 11:25 PM   #5 (permalink)

These are all the answers I was afraid to get... and I was thinking about driving this until I can find a '95 legend or something in better condition. Mechanically it runs very well so I'm sure I can manage. Thanks for the replies.
Old 04-06-08, 12:12 AM   #6 (permalink)
Matthew is THE USER!

Car 1: 91 Legend 4dr ---- SOLD :(

maaco. 1600$-1800$ for that repair and paint maaan
that suuucks... thats what happens when u get a car from canada that was previously owned by ppl who did not give a crap about their cars

1600$-1800$

OR!

you MUST have a friend that can weld.. to tell you the truth its really easy to cut the rust off and weld new metal onto it.. sand it down.. do all the dirty work. and then goto maaco.. and it'll be like 1200-1400$
mktng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-08, 02:19 PM   #7 (permalink)

Car 1: 1992 Acura Legend LS Coupe

Hey Nosco, check this thread out:
WARNING: Thread contains disturbing content (+ 56k unfriendly)

This member was in Toronto and had some great work done by a guy here, in the city.

I'm trying to get the contact info of the guy who did the work but shtewps has not yet responded to my PM.

I have a little rust work I need done and shtewps' work was done well and at a decent price.
Gena92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-08, 04:12 AM   #8 (permalink)

I think I'm just gonna do the body work myself with the fiber glass resin and that color match paint you can get from napa has anybody successfully done repairs on rust this bad? And if so do you have any tips regarding products I should use or tools or techniques so far I got the sand paper 80 - 220 grit, block sander, primer, fiber glass kit from Bondo, color match paint I'm sure I'm gonna need that POR - 15 stuff any more suggestions

Thanks
Old 06-02-08, 11:49 PM   #9 (permalink)

Car 1: Acura Legend 1991

I'm also using the color match paint along with undercoat, primer, rust neutralizer, and clearcoat. Just make sure you have a circular grinding disc with your 80 grit. I made the mistake of not getting one and tried to use my electric block sander and composite grinding disc and it has taken quite awhile ( I also overapplied my fiberglass bondo a bit, be sure not to do that either, you can always add more as needed). Also if you are removing your back bumper to get to the bottom edge of your quarter panel, be prepared for a possible headache. First of all there are quite a few screws and bolts and some of them are rather difficult to get to. If some are seized or stripped don't be surprised as your car is around 15 years old and theres a good chance your bumpers never been removed before. I'm sure some will find it easy to take off but it sure wasn't for me.

I'll try to get some pics up when I'm done, even I'm a little skeptical about how this might turn out but I'm crossing my fingers. Not too worried though the car was only a thousand bucks. Thought I could finish in a day with 4 relatively small rust spots and 1 big one but it's gonna take 2. I'd hate to have to do this for a living ; ).

Last edited by thedude400; 06-02-08 at 11:57 PM.
thedude400 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-08, 10:39 AM   #10 (permalink)

Car 1: 02 Acura TL Type S
Car 3: 05 Subaru Legacy GT

I had gotten two quotes from two different shop about my rust as well. It was $1600 and $1900, but it was just minor rust in 5 different areas. I did get it repair and the car it's spotless again.
Mickeytl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-08, 11:05 AM   #11 (permalink)

Car 1: 1998 4Runner SR5 3RZFE
Car 2: 1993 Legend LS Coupe
Car 3: 1992 Legend LS Sedan

iTrader Score: 15 reviews
The going rates locally are $200/body panel for rust repair with new metal and colour matched paint. The repair work is pretty good but the paint job varies. My coupe was worse than yours. I got it fixed up for $600. I have a few contacts in the west end that I can refer you to.

Don't have good before pictures but you get the idea. This is only on the surface, was much worse on the lower part.

After

Old 06-03-08, 05:09 PM   #12 (permalink)
is this real life?

Car 1: Pearl White '91 LS

iTrader Score: 4 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gena92 View Post
Hey Nosco, check this thread out:
WARNING: Thread contains disturbing content (+ 56k unfriendly)

This member was in Toronto and had some great work done by a guy here, in the city.

I'm trying to get the contact info of the guy who did the work but shtewps has not yet responded to my PM.

I have a little rust work I need done and shtewps' work was done well and at a decent price.
did i reply to you? i cleared my inbox a few times since that date so if i havent please resend.

thanks.

Check us out on IRC chat!
Server: EFnet
Channel: #acura-legend

Need a chat client? www.mirc.com
or web-based www.mibbit.com
asdfg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-08, 05:14 AM   #13 (permalink)

So after a couple of months I ended up getting a coupe in much better condition... it has rust too just no holes that I can see. Hey TonyTheBullet if you can pm me those contacts you have for the rust repair cause I really would like to get this handled now before it gets outta hand oh and Shtewps I don't think I got the response if you did get back to me as I pretty much gave up on my sedan its a parts car now. My supt. loves me hahaha I'll try to put some pics of the coupe's rust up as soon as I get home
Old 09-15-08, 07:11 AM   #14 (permalink)

iTrader Score: 12 reviews
I've got you beat with the rust though

This was everywhere... I did the bodywork myself though so the whole thing repaired and painted cost me less than $800
LegendLand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-08, 08:01 AM   #15 (permalink)

What the coupe's problem areas look like

That horizontal collection of dots is actually a series of dings

Another ding

rust

a lil more

and what should I do with this?

I hope to clear this rust away before its too expensive and the dings and paint could wait I guess

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

The Acura Legend & Acura RL Forum > Acura Legend > Second Generation Legend (1991-1995)