Speaker issues - The Acura Legend & Acura RL Forum
Acura Legend Forum Acura Legend Forum

Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   The Acura Legend & Acura RL Forum > Acura Legend > Second Generation Legend (1991-1995)

Second Generation Legend (1991-1995)

Acura-Legend.com is the premier Acura Legend Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-20-13, 02:57 PM   #1 (permalink)

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Speaker issues

I have just received my first car which is a 1993 Acura Legend which has been living at my grandparents since i was born loved it ever since. Anyway I have received the car as my own now and i noticed an issue with the cars speakers. When im using the radio, the driverside door speaker seems like its the only one working. I have messed with fader and balance to see if the other speakers are working and they are not from passenger side door to the rear speakers. Now, i thought it might just be the radio just reciving the signal wrong or something, so i went on the hunt for an old cassette tape that i still had and i noticed that the passenger side was working but it wasnt at the same vollume as the driver side door and the rear speakers still didnt work. Im wondering what are someways i can troubleshoot the problem further? Im thinking it could be a loose wire that came undone when the car was shipped from Florida to New York.

Thanks for taking the time to help me!
Ace2020boyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-20-13, 03:14 PM   #2 (permalink)

Car 1: 1993 Legend 6-spd
Car 2: 2004 Tahoe

iTrader Score: 63 reviews
Your probably best to first take a look at the rear speakers and verify they are intact. Then test them.

ari_one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-13, 03:41 PM   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ari_one View Post
Your probably best to first take a look at the rear speakers and verify they are intact. Then test them.
alright, how do i go about that?
Old 01-20-13, 05:20 PM   #4 (permalink)

Car 1: 93 Sdn
Car 2: 08 Sienna CE

As Ari_one mentioned, you need to remove the rear speaker cover trays, a small flat screwdriver wil do. If needed, remove the speakers, then test their continuity.

However, if it has the Bose system, the stereo works differently to all other systems. For example, the speaker cones are normally made out of paper, not some vinyl type, for better modulation. Also, the speakers operate at a very low impedance, not the 4Ω for most speakers. The receiver head-unit produces a weak signal which goes to independent power amplifiers which in turn connect to each speaker individually. Despite their superb sound, Bose car audio systems consistently hava a short lifespan (compared to similar conventional systems due to, a) speakers with cracked cones, b) failing power amplifiers, for usually their capacitors fail. Supposedly the amplifiers are easy to fix with the right equipment, but the speakers are not interchangeable with other conventional types, at least I know no suitable replacements at the 2Ω range.

If you need, the existing wiring can be used to install a non-Bose system. At the speakers you need to by-pass the amplifiers and a good harness at the double-DIN receiver unit. But, get good quality equipment to duly replace a Bose, and make sure the new speakers will fit in the holes, else you are looking at modifying the interior.
Guario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-13, 09:27 PM   #5 (permalink)

Yeah its a Bose premium system. So if the resisters are shot i can just run to my nearest radioshack and replace them but if it not that then ill pretty much have to replace the whole sound system?

also,just ran outside and i noticed just above the cassette player says 2100

im new to all of this thanks for taking the time to help! also is it possible a fuse could be blown?

Last edited by Ace2020boyd; 01-20-13 at 09:54 PM.
Old 01-21-13, 08:25 AM   #6 (permalink)

Car 1: 93 Sdn
Car 2: 08 Sienna CE

Ace, is not the resistors that usually fail, but the capacitors at the power supply, normally located inside a small enclosure attached to the speaker housing. Replacing them requires the right equipment, should you or a friend be into electronics repair, go at it. With a simple solder gun alone, I think anybody can replace the capacitors, but at the expense of something else. The real expense in replacing a Bose system is the speakers. Check online, there are some shops which specialize in those. My limited knowledge on Bose audio stems from the fact I've been forced to convert two of my vehicles to non Bose audio.

I have no idea what each number in the stereo mean. There is one 4A fuse for the audio located in the fuse box inside the car, in the left kick panel. Check on LegendWiki. They have very good information for most things Legend and the Bose audio set-up.
Guario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-13, 01:04 PM   #7 (permalink)

alright, i just found the model of the car and its a LS
Old 01-21-13, 02:11 PM   #8 (permalink)

Unless you have a love for the original OEM radio, the least expensive way to get a good sounding system is to replace the OEM radio with an aftermarket unit of your own liking and then buy speakers that you like. If you prefer to stay with Bose, then Bose does still sell new speakers for around $40-45/ea shipped, search for the bose 800 number and order directly from them (assuming the amp is not the problem).

Old 01-22-13, 03:17 AM   #9 (permalink)

Car 1: 1993 Acura Legend LS

I recommend you get a new sound system.. Aftermarket Amp, Sub, Speakers, and Radio included. I'm running JL, Audiopipe, BOSE, and a Pioneer Double Din with Navi. SOOO Much better than using Stock/OEM

-1993 Acura Legend LS
Tank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-13, 02:45 PM   #10 (permalink)

Car 1: 1993 Acura legend L coupe 6spd

I had problems with my Acura too when i first got it. The deck would only play music out the two fronts. I swapped my whole system out. I personally think Bose is absolutely overrated. They were cheap paper-cone speakers when i took them out. The thing i really did like about the original deck is the volume control that would move by itself. But now my SQ is 100 times better. I would suggest just swapping out the system.
Old 02-13-13, 05:47 PM   #11 (permalink)
RAP

Car 1: '95 Legend 3 ea. 240SX

Since it seems like that the original writer of this thread has had his questions answered I would like to "highjack" this thread for a sound system problem that I have after installing a new system in my car. I have the Sony headunit with touch screen, and four new speakers all installed by a tech where I purchased said unit. The guy knows his stuff I suppose and the system sound fine and especially so when the engine is off. There is static when engine is running that is more or less depending where the signal is coming from. But there is static all of the time. More so on AM than FM.
The tech did try an antenna filter at the antenna in the trunk to no avail. There is suppopsed to be a "noise capacitor" installed in the car to cope with stray electrical currents but I haven't located it. I don't think it's the alternator as the static is steady sounding. I did buy, from Acura, a new noise capacitor and the parts guy said it's located in the trunk of my '95 L? I haven't found it so far.
I did consult briefly with a person who works at the web site answering the "search" feature of this web site and he gave me some general info such as checking grounds, loose wires, etc.
The static problem did exist in the Bose system I had, since car was new, installed. The static wasn't too bad with the Bose but is really noticeable with the new system as before stated.
Sound systems are not my forte so thank you for all help.
Old 02-14-13, 12:14 AM   #12 (permalink)

I believe there is one installed next to the ps pump and one on the drivers side just behind the rear seat.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

The Acura Legend & Acura RL Forum > Acura Legend > Second Generation Legend (1991-1995)