Springs and Struts - The Acura Legend & Acura RL Forum
Acura Legend Forum Acura Legend Forum

Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   The Acura Legend & Acura RL Forum > Acura Legend > Second Generation Legend (1991-1995)

Second Generation Legend (1991-1995)

Acura-Legend.com is the premier Acura Legend Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-20-10, 12:06 AM   #1 (permalink)

Car 1: 1992 ACURA LEGEND

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Smile Springs and Struts

Hello everyone, it is time to change either the springs or struts or both on my 1992 Acura Legend. It seems to be too low for the streets. Too many pot holes and too many dips in the road that make my car's tire rub against the tire well and hits the undercarriage not wanting to damage anything like oil pan when going over it at 30 mph.

When I shop at BJ's i purchase bottles of water in a case of 32 bottles. When placing the cases of water in my trunk the car lowers down and while driving it rubs against the tire well. When I have passengers it does the same thing. Is there a possibility of the springs to be bad and the struts as well?

What is Lowering Pro-Kit from Eibach? I don't want to lower the car where it rubs against the tire well. I like it to be higher than the image to your left. The tires are 15's. In another words, I like the car to perform better when shopping and placing stuff in the trunk or having passengers it will not allow the tires to rub against the tire well.

To your left is my current Acura Legend parked. Can I also use a shim to raise the car up to an inch? Shouldn't my car have at least a one 1.0 inch clearance or more?

What would be the best struts, I have tried Monroe which that is what I currently have on my car for two years and already need a replacement the car bounces too much.

What are your thoughts.

I appreciate for your feedback.

Thanks.

Sincerely,

Desi

Last edited by bravo659; 09-20-10 at 12:17 AM. Reason: Add content
bravo659 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-20-10, 12:09 AM   #2 (permalink)

Car 1: 94 acura legend ls

iTrader Score: 8 reviews
a lowering kit won't help as the point is to make the car lower. I would go with monroe sensa tracks for shocks and look for a low mileage car for springs.
Old 09-20-10, 12:21 AM   #3 (permalink)

Hi BIGBOY,
Oh ok that is what i currently have on my car Monroe Sensa Trac.
So the springs, which type do you suggest or get one from a lower mileage car? That means from a junk yard.
Thanks for your suggestion.
I was thinking of just changing the struts but the car goes way down with passengers what is the cause of that? Would it be the springs?

I appreciate for your feedback thanks.
Old 09-20-10, 02:35 AM   #4 (permalink)

your welcome man, over time springs do begin to sag and given the age of the our cars and people not replacing the shocks on scheldule speeds up the process. I know new oem springs are very costly so I'd find a low mileage car from a JY or post in the WTB section. I'm sure some body has springs who has went from oem to lowered with low mileage.

I'd shoot Ari a pm, he's the go to guy for parts.
Old 09-29-10, 05:41 PM   #5 (permalink)

Hi BIGBOY, I tried ari_one but he didn't have any sold. But got the clockspring from him should be receiving it by Thursday or Friday. I purchased the KYB GR2's but can't get the springs from anywhere not even the junk yard. LOL I guess I have to use the originals from the car. I also wrote to Eibach and they responded that the lowering springs in the front has a capacity of 260 lbs and the rear max is 117 lbs. Enough to hold weight with passengers and trunk weight. I still don't know if I should go for it or just get the springs from Acura at 95.00 each.

I appreciate for your feedback though.

Thanks..

Desi Bravo
Old 09-29-10, 06:00 PM   #6 (permalink)

will sedan springs work on a coupe? If so I have some.
Old 09-29-10, 06:01 PM   #7 (permalink)
Fut RIP

Car 1: 91 Alpha/Alpha Touring KA7
Car 2: 92 Alpha/ AlphaT KA8
Car 3: 91L,93LS,94LS KA7's

iTrader Score: 39 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by bravo659 View Post
Hi BIGBOY, I tried ari_one but he didn't have any sold. But got the clockspring from him should be receiving it by Thursday or Friday. I purchased the KYB GR2's but can't get the springs from anywhere not even the junk yard. LOL I guess I have to use the originals from the car. I also wrote to Eibach and they responded that the lowering springs in the front has a capacity of 260 lbs and the rear max is 117 lbs. Enough to hold weight with passengers and trunk weight. I still don't know if I should go for it or just get the springs from Acura at 95.00 each.

I appreciate for your feedback though.

Thanks..

Desi Bravo
is the kyb gr2's a lower strut? if not then get the springs from acura as the lowering spings will cause the the struts to blow out and you will end up rplacing them. acura of agusta gives members of this site a discount.

Yes im back! Alpha/AlphaTouring!http://www.acura-legend.com/vbulleti...ang%2Fjdm-kang
Originally Posted by Blackend
Good to meet you too Willie. I tell ya, when we were walking the Auto-X course and you guys started pulling in, I had no idea who it was until I saw the green machine and we're all like "ooohhhh, that's Willie and the Acuraholicks!"

Glad you guys made it out, and nice meeting all of you.
L3GDKANG/JDMKANG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-10, 07:20 PM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by L3GDKANG/JDMKANG View Post
is the kyb gr2's a lower strut? if not then get the springs from acura as the lowering spings will cause the the struts to blow out and you will end up rplacing them. acura of agusta gives members of this site a discount.
what you mean by shorter. Because I am using it as a replacement for my my acura. Hope it fits lol. I decided to use the springs I currently have on my vehicle then if I see any difference in height or sagging then I'll replace it soon. I will take that advise going to Augusta Acura. thanks.
Old 09-29-10, 07:41 PM   #9 (permalink)
Fut RIP

struts that arent for lowering cant be used on springs that are lowering spring the strut will be loaded and cant travel like it should that will cause the strut to blow out. now since your saying your using your oem springs your good to go.

Yes im back! Alpha/AlphaTouring!http://www.acura-legend.com/vbulleti...ang%2Fjdm-kang
Good to meet you too Willie. I tell ya, when we were walking the Auto-X course and you guys started pulling in, I had no idea who it was until I saw the green machine and we're all like "ooohhhh, that's Willie and the Acuraholicks!"

Old 09-29-10, 07:52 PM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by L3GDKANG/JDMKANG View Post
struts that arent for lowering cant be used on springs that are lowering spring the strut will be loaded and cant travel like it should that will cause the strut to blow out. now since your saying your using your oem springs your good to go.
You scared me there for a minute LOL yes I am going with my own springs I currently have. I don't really think is all blown out or sagging i think is all about the struts that is blown out (Monroe Struts). My springs show no stress pattern in the coil or any breakage on the powered or rubberized coils the stuff that protects the coils from rust.

I got the struts all four and the bellows and stops but they had a back order on the strut mounts should be receiving it by next week.

Didn't say before you currently have the KYB's or the other one the purple type. I forgot.
Old 09-29-10, 07:57 PM   #11 (permalink)
Fut RIP

i will be ordering the D2's i havent yet as im rebuilding my whole car all over it will have new suspention the whole set up rotors and brake lines with rebuilt calipers as well.

Old 10-02-10, 01:55 AM   #12 (permalink)

Car 1: 1994 acura legend LS

i have a set of eibach springs for my 94 acura legend, i at first bought the monroe sensa tracts struts...but everytime i had people in the back my tires would rub the wheel well. the struts that can handle the weight as i found out...is the factory rear struts from acura. they are a little pricy but they can handle the weight of people in the back seat and your trunk full of stuff...good luck..
jrock68123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-10, 10:52 AM   #13 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrock68123 View Post
i have a set of eibach springs for my 94 acura legend, i at first bought the monroe sensa tracts struts...but everytime i had people in the back my tires would rub the wheel well. the struts that can handle the weight as i found out...is the factory rear struts from acura. they are a little pricy but they can handle the weight of people in the back seat and your trunk full of stuff...good luck..
Hi jRock,
I appreciate your feedback.
How is the eibach springs working on your legend?
Is it worth having it, is it smooth or rough and handle all the weight with stuff and passengers in the car?
I wrote to Eibach and they are saying that eibach springs in the front has a weight compression of 260 pounds and the rear is 171 pounds max.
I purchased the KYB GR2 for my 92 Acura Legend.
I hope the KYB GR2solve my problems. Yes acura struts are pricey.
Advertisement

The Acura Legend & Acura RL Forum > Acura Legend > Second Generation Legend (1991-1995)