Steering Wheel Volume Control Not Working But Audio Select Button Does Work - The Acura Legend & Acura RL Forum
Acura Legend Forum Acura Legend Forum

Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   The Acura Legend & Acura RL Forum > Acura Legend > Second Generation Legend (1991-1995)

Second Generation Legend (1991-1995)

Acura-Legend.com is the premier Acura Legend Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-20-09, 01:44 AM   #1 (permalink)

Car 1: 1991 Acura Legend Coupe LS

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Steering Wheel Volume Control Not Working But Audio Select Button Does Work

Hello, I have a 1991 Legend Coupe LS and my volume up and down controls on the steering wheel wont work, but the audio select button on the same control piece does work. Ive tried replacing the control with one from another legend, and I get the same problem. The radio is a stock Bose radio and I have a CD changer in the trunk from a different Acura. If anyone can give me some thoughts it would be greatly appreciated.

Jocman
Jocman is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-20-09, 01:48 AM   #2 (permalink)
Lawn Pac Champion

Car 1: 1994 Acura Legend TypeII Sedan
Car 2: 93 TypeII Legend Cpe

iTrader Score: 5 reviews
Things to look at

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jocman View Post
Hello, I have a 1991 Legend Coupe LS and my volume up and down controls on the steering wheel wont work, but the audio select button on the same control piece does work. Ive tried replacing the control with one from another legend, and I get the same problem. The radio is a stock Bose radio and I have a CD changer in the trunk from a different Acura. If anyone can give me some thoughts it would be greatly appreciated.

Jocman
Remove the headunit Take out the plugs from the back of it and put them back in,check to see if that works.If not look at the wire for breaks the light blue wire connects the steering wheel controls to the radio.All that fails replace the radio with another oem unit and try it then.I would say the headunit is whats bad.
TYPEIIGHOST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-09, 11:13 AM   #3 (permalink)

Car 1: 1991 Acura Legend

I experienced the same but I have a sedan. There was a wire that looks like a coax under the the dash behind the cluster near the steering column. It may have been kicked loose.
tenk otomubay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-09, 11:20 AM   #4 (permalink)
Lawn Pac Champion

Car 1: 1994 Acura Legend TypeII Sedan
Car 2: 93 TypeII Legend Cpe

iTrader Score: 5 reviews
I see what u saying

Quote:
Originally Posted by tenk otomubay View Post
I experienced the same but I have a sedan. There was a wire that looks like a coax under the the dash behind the cluster near the steering column. It may have been kicked loose.
But it doesent seem likely cuz he said hes still has use of the station switcher and track changer button on the steering wheel control to the radio.And he changed switches and still the same.If wire was loose wouldent he lose all funtions of the steering wheel control?
TYPEIIGHOST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-09, 12:18 PM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Loser

Car 1: '94 Black on Black KA7
Car 2: '73 Fuji Racer Fixie

Anyone know if you can hook the steering wheel volume control up to an aftermarket (Pioneer) head unit?
Gromit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-09, 12:30 PM   #6 (permalink)
Banned

Car 1: 2004 Honda Element EX AWD 5MT
Car 2: 1994 Acura Legend GS

iTrader Score: 2 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gromit View Post
Anyone know if you can hook the steering wheel volume control up to an aftermarket (Pioneer) head unit?
you can do it...there is an adapter you need to buy...i dont know what its called tho sorry
MondiVTEC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-09, 01:12 PM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TYPEIIGHOST View Post
But it doesent seem likely cuz he said hes still has use of the station switcher and track changer button on the steering wheel control to the radio.And he changed switches and still the same.If wire was loose wouldent he lose all funtions of the steering wheel control?
That makes sense. It's been awhile but I think I only lost the volume control too. Won't hurt to check. I do recall the connector to be a non locking type.

Volume Control Problem

Last edited by tenk otomubay; 03-20-09 at 01:21 PM. Reason: additional treads on topic
Old 03-20-09, 01:37 PM   #8 (permalink)

Car 1: 1989 Cadillac Deville
Car 2: 1992 Acura Legend LS
Car 3: 93 legend (parting)

iTrader Score: 7 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gromit View Post
It called pac-swipes for pioneer which I got and beware that all afapters have a delay when pressing and this one is a wire intenna so u should see if this fit first

Updated pics of parts im selling
http://www.flickr.com/photos/36337072@N08/
BklynSoulja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-09, 03:02 PM   #9 (permalink)
makes his putts....

Car 1: 91LS Coupe w/ typeII swap
Car 2: 1966 Mustang
Car 3: 06 GTI 2.0 turbo

iTrader Score: 3 reviews
Easy fix guys. The little motor inside the radio that turns the volume knob gets dirty after some time. Take your middle finger and flick the Bose volume knob. Flick it, then test. Flick, then test. I know it sounds crazy, but it works. All your doing is knocking the small particles of dirt loose....
Old 03-20-09, 03:33 PM   #10 (permalink)

Car 1: '93 Acura Legend LS

You're right...

pretty easy fix, but it does sound crazy...LMAO! *crossing fingers* Hope it works for the OP.
chuckymadness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-09, 08:47 PM   #11 (permalink)

Ok, I tried the finger flick thing with the volume control knob on the radio and all that did was probably brake my radio. I looked under the dash by the steering column and found a large wire, with the same connection as the CD changer wire, mounted vertically pointing down and it had nothing attached to it. There does not appear to be another wire to connect to it, so what is that wire for? I have also been looking through other threads and I came across one that is missing a bunch of posts by a user named MikeD. This thread seems to help fix a wiring problem, but all the info was in the MikeD posts. Does anyone know if that information is available anywhere else? Here is a link to the post:
found out my steering radio control wiring has failed

JocMan
Old 03-20-09, 09:20 PM   #12 (permalink)

Car 1: 1991 Legend LS Sedan
Car 2: 2008 Grand Caravan

iTrader Score: 2 reviews
The Flick Trick Does Work

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevanTheDude View Post
Easy fix guys. The little motor inside the radio that turns the volume knob gets dirty after some time. Take your middle finger and flick the Bose volume knob. Flick it, then test. Flick, then test. I know it sounds crazy, but it works. All your doing is knocking the small particles of dirt loose....

+1 - this is the way to fix your problem.

I have used this "Flick trick" numerous times. I always have success.

Hint 1 - I poke the knob 5-10 times like I am poking someone I do not like in the chest. So for me it is really a "Poke Trick", but "Flick Trick" sounds cooler ....there have been times I had to repeat this process 5-10 times to get it to work and other times I would get it to work on my 1st try.

Hint 2 - Once you get the Steering Wheel Volume buttons working....Only change the volume with the Steering Wheel Controls....Do not use the Radio knob anymore. Why? - I found that when I used the radio knob, the steering controls stopped working again. Then I would do the Flick Trick and they worked again. ........Fast Forward 6 months - Now that I do not use the Radio Knob, I do not have to do the Flick Trick anymore

GL

'91 LS - Golden Glow Pearl Clearcoat w/ Ivory Leather 94K miles

Mods 7 Spoke OEM Machined Rims, Sunroof Tilt, Armrest w/ Cupholder, Iggee Seat Covers w/ Controls mod. UnMods Removed tint

Gallery Pictures Link

DIY's
1) How to Install Iggee Front Seat Covers
2) Iggee front seat covers w/ seat controls mod
91LSplendid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-09, 12:30 AM   #13 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jocman View Post
Ok, I tried the finger flick thing with the volume control knob on the radio and all that did was probably brake my radio. I looked under the dash by the steering column and found a large wire, with the same connection as the CD changer wire, mounted vertically pointing down and it had nothing attached to it. There does not appear to be another wire to connect to it, so what is that wire for? I have also been looking through other threads and I came across one that is missing a bunch of posts by a user named MikeD. This thread seems to help fix a wiring problem, but all the info was in the MikeD posts. Does anyone know if that information is available anywhere else? Here is a link to the post:
found out my steering radio control wiring has failed

JocMan
That missing wire you are referring to is likely your problem.
Old 03-21-09, 12:52 AM   #14 (permalink)
I want K-Sports..

Car 1: '94 Acura Legend LS
Car 2: '91 Honda Accord LX

iTrader Score: 3 reviews
Send a message via AIM to xpressive
Nope, I have that wire as well.. It doesn't have anything to do with it.. The steering controls run through a light blue plug and consists of 3 wires..

1994 Acura Legend LS Coupe Sherwood Green.
-Alpine 9883 -Alpine Type-R -Alpine PDX -17x8 Flik FTD -225/45/17 Nitto NeoGen Tires -Vogtland Springs.
TSX Projector Retrofit w/ DDM 55W Kit

231K+ running strong
xpressive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-09, 09:37 AM   #15 (permalink)

The light blue plug that plugs into the back of my radio has only one wire on it. I thought that was kind of odd considering the plug is a 5 pin connection. Could that be my problem?

JocMan

Last edited by Jocman; 03-21-09 at 02:20 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

The Acura Legend & Acura RL Forum > Acura Legend > Second Generation Legend (1991-1995)