tint : does it keep the car cooler in the summer ? - The Acura Legend & Acura RL Forum
Acura Legend Forum Acura Legend Forum

Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   The Acura Legend & Acura RL Forum > Acura Legend > Second Generation Legend (1991-1995)

Second Generation Legend (1991-1995)

Acura-Legend.com is the premier Acura Legend Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-19-08, 09:59 PM   #1 (permalink)
Stu

Car 1: 2005 Lexus LS430

iTrader Score: 3 reviews
tint : does it keep the car cooler in the summer ?

I am pretty sure most people tint their windows for appearance.

I want to know if tinted windows really keep the car significantly cooler in the summer sun.

I am sure some tints do a better job than others in keeping the heat out than other ..... what should I look for in a tint material if my main goal is keeping heat out of the car?

Thanks
Stu is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-19-08, 10:24 PM   #2 (permalink)
Just Another Guy

Car 1: '05 C6 Z51
Car 2: '91 Legend Coupe L
Car 3: 96 Tahoe/2005 Civic

iTrader Score: 2 reviews
I asked that question to a friend of mine who professionally tints, and his response was that really dark tint(anything less than 15%) actually will heat up the interior more because the darker tint actually holds the heat more than the lighter tints and thus the interior can be warmer.

I don't know how accurate that is, but I feel that 30% tint is the best option for keeping the sun from burning you and for keeping the car cooler. Also get film that is rated 5,15,30,etc. not 10,20. Black film > blue/purple film in terms of lasting longer.

-Ed
Custom CAI - sr5guy stage II chip - EGR Block - TB Bypass - Blackend's Damper - Custom 2" Y Pipe - Magnaflow Cat - 2.5" B Pipe - Type II IM - Labrat Crank Pulley - NA1 NSX Rims - ME 6000k HID. 14.99 @ 94.12 before manifold, pulley, & rims.

Though I've fallen to the Dark Side!

391whp/384wtq.
Edify is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-08, 10:29 PM   #3 (permalink)
Banned
Autobahn Champion, Drive and Dodge Champion, Highway Hunter Champion

iTrader Score: 24 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Alperovich Send a message via MSN to Alperovich
guys in arizona always have tints, i don't htink tyson's tint was that dark thou when i saw his coupe.

my coupe has 20% tint, and it gets really not in it in the summer. but i can't tell u if it would be cooler with lighter tint or not. it defiantly gets hot thou.

as a point of reference, my GS is a tx car, it had about 35% tints on it.
Alperovich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-08, 10:37 PM   #4 (permalink)
3.52 ..Chicken & Dumplins
Boxing Champion, Square Bear Reversi Champion

iTrader Score: 17 reviews
Yes it does keep cooler.. also it blocks out UV rays (get that one), that was my reason for tinting the car.

EDIT for clarifications
91-95 Sedan fender,3.5 RL HEADS , INTAKE MANIFOLD & FUEL RAILS ,

http://www.acura-legend.com/vbulleti...htside-124468/

http://www.acura-legend.com/vbulleti...ad.php?t=95844

Last edited by whyteLegend; 06-20-08 at 11:42 AM.
whyteLegend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-08, 10:46 PM   #5 (permalink)
Insert key, crank, BHG.

Car 1: '92 LS "December"
Car 2: 6MT Canterbury Coupe

iTrader Score: 16 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by whyteLegend View Post
Yes it does keep cooler by blocking out UV rays (get that one), that was my reason for tinting the car.
UV light can't penetrate any type of glass. Ever notice you never get any sun burn through a window?

I think OEM is the best look. I just don't happen to think any of the various arrangements of OEM got it exactly right all at once
Pinyix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-08, 11:28 PM   #6 (permalink)
FRISCO LEGEND BABY!!!!
Bullseye Blaster 2 Champion, Bean Hunter Champion, Clover Crunch Champion, Fight Man Champion, Fishing Impossible Champion, Frantic Killer Champion, Froggster Champion

Car 1: 1988 Acura Legend Sedan

iTrader Score: 8 reviews
Send a message via AIM to l4zy415 Send a message via MSN to l4zy415
Well if your worried about the dash getting all hot or the seats while its parked somewhere when yor doing your thing, buy one of those window cover thing that looks like tin foil. That really helped me out everytime it gets hot here. I have black leather, and using that thing really help.

17" DRAG DR-11 Rims/\Matador Red Paint/\Custom CAI/\LED Bright White Dash Lights/\Kenwood KDC-X590 Excelon Mp3 Deck/\Ford Taurus Coin/Cup Holder/\2 12" Kickers/\1800 Watt Kenwood Mono Amp/\Power Acoustic Capacitor/\Clear Rear Turn Signal/\Reverse Glow Gauges/\Swapped 88' Headlights to 89'-90'/\Swapped 88' seats to 89'/\JDM Rear Chrome Trim/\JDM Clear Corner/\JDM Power Folding-Heated Mirrors/\Stromung Muffler
l4zy415 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-08, 11:32 PM   #7 (permalink)
Flash Poker Champion, Fucking Killer Champion

Car 1: 1993 Acura Legend Sedan LS

iTrader Score: 33 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Blingting Send a message via MSN to Blingting Send a message via Skype™ to Blingting
Quote:
Originally Posted by TB4USpk
I am pretty sure most people tint their windows for appearance.

I want to know if tinted windows really keep the car significantly cooler in the summer sun.

I am sure some tints do a better job than others in keeping the heat out than other ..... what should I look for in a tint material if my main goal is keeping heat out of the car?

Thanks
There are many benefits to having your windows tinted, and each person has their own specific wants and needs.

Here are some of the main benefits of window film and a brief description for each.

Glare Protection

Reduces Suns harsh glare while driving in traffic.

Heat Protection

Keeps automobile cooler, promoting less fuel consumption.

Fade Protection

Keeps interior dyes and leather protected.

U.V. Protection

Protects skin from harmful U.V., less likely to develop skin cancer on left hand

side of body.

Safety

Protects glass shards from flying inside of car in the event of an accident or theft.

Astetics

Enhance the appearance of your automobile by giving it a sleeker or sporty look.

Go Green

Window film is a green product helping conserve the environment

through lowering emissions and gas consumption while driving.

Types of Film

Knowing what film to choose can sometimes be confusing. First think about what benefit you want most from your film and then prioritize those benefits.

Dyed Film

Gives your automobile the blackest look, it is used to match the front windows to the back half of SUVs and trucks. This film is mainly used for its appearance. It has the least amount of heat reduction, but still reduces glare and fading to interior upholstery.

Hybrid Film

This film is a cross between dyed and metalized film. It is the film most often used when customers dont specify what kind of tint they desire. This tint is charcoal in color and is what customers traditionally prefer on their vehicles. It has a little more heat reduction than a dyed product and looks very similar.

Metalized Film

Customers chose this film because they want their tint to have a reflective look. This film performs better than dyed or hybrid for heat reduction.

Ceramic Film

This film blocks 2 times more heat than dyed or hybrid film, and is the most technologically advanced film today. Customers would choose this film to achieve ultimate heat reduction without really having to darken their windows. This film increases interior comfort and is more durable than any other film on the market.

*This tint has no metal in it, and does not interfere with radar detectors, radio, and NAV systems.

( Info cited from HotSpotTinting - Leader of the Residential/Automotive Tint market in Metro-Atlanta, and the place I'm going to tomorrow morning to have all my window re-done! )

EDIT:

I've decided to go with either HuperOptik Ceramic, or Formula 1 - Pinnacle Series.

3M Colorstable would be my third choice if this place has neither tomorrow. I'm doing it right this time.

Last edited by Blingting; 06-20-08 at 12:21 AM.
Blingting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-08, 11:37 PM   #8 (permalink)
Banned

damn B, nice post!
Old 06-19-08, 11:52 PM   #9 (permalink)
Matthew is THE USER!

Car 1: 91 Legend 4dr ---- SOLD :(

definately cooks the car when just sitting there.

tilt open than its a little bit better.

personally the tints are for when actually driving . it helps with keeping the heat down a little bit, keeps your body cooler? iuno i find that theres a big diff from driving with tints. the driving is more pleasurable. lol less sunlight from here and there
Old 06-20-08, 12:13 AM   #10 (permalink)
Mr. X (aka #5)
Monster Memory Champion, Border 2 Champion, Daphnes Fight For Fashion Champion, Fireman :: Incoming Storm Champion, Gas Attack! Champion, Mini Putt 2 Champion, Heineken! Champion, Odd World Champion, The Independent Compact Catch Champion, James Bomb Champion, Jet Pakker Champion, Juego Champion, Klumpy Champion, Lego Basketball Challenge Champion, Lego Snowboard Challenge Champion, Lizzie McGuire Turbo Racer Champion

Car 1: 1997 BMW 528i
Car 2: 1994 Accord Sedan EX
Car 3: 1987 Legend Coupe

iTrader Score: 5 reviews
Send a message via AIM to IkeRay Send a message via MSN to IkeRay Send a message via Yahoo to IkeRay
tint the car w/ 30% (20% if you must) and then stick a sun shield up. if you have the window visors (on the top of the outside of the windows) crack the windows ever so slightly to allow air to flow out, and you won't have to worry about people getting into your car.
IkeRay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-08, 12:16 AM   #11 (permalink)
Banned

/\ actually, i recal when i used a sun sheild, i used to work in a place were i parked my car in sunlight, no shade, and i liked backing into the spot but it was facing the sun all day, i used a shade and it did stay cooler.
Old 06-20-08, 12:24 AM   #12 (permalink)
Matthew is THE USER!

Car 1: 91 Legend 4dr ---- SOLD :(

well duhh thats what its meant for
Old 06-20-08, 12:44 AM   #13 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by mktng View Post
well duhh thats what its meant for
i ment with tinted windows vs not tinted.
Old 06-20-08, 01:03 AM   #14 (permalink)
Mr. X (aka #5)
Monster Memory Champion, Border 2 Champion, Daphnes Fight For Fashion Champion, Fireman :: Incoming Storm Champion, Gas Attack! Champion, Mini Putt 2 Champion, Heineken! Champion, Odd World Champion, The Independent Compact Catch Champion, James Bomb Champion, Jet Pakker Champion, Juego Champion, Klumpy Champion, Lego Basketball Challenge Champion, Lego Snowboard Challenge Champion, Lizzie McGuire Turbo Racer Champion

Car 1: 1997 BMW 528i
Car 2: 1994 Accord Sedan EX
Car 3: 1987 Legend Coupe

iTrader Score: 5 reviews
Send a message via AIM to IkeRay Send a message via MSN to IkeRay Send a message via Yahoo to IkeRay
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alperovich View Post
/\ actually, i recal when i used a sun sheild, i used to work in a place were i parked my car in sunlight, no shade, and i liked backing into the spot but it was facing the sun all day, i used a shade and it did stay cooler.
i always just assumed that the heat really came in through the windshield, the one window that you couldn't tint completely. when I started doing this, it made a significant different, when I would crack the windows (on a clear day) or tilt the sunroof, it was surprisingly cool...of course this is with 0% on the rear 3 windows and 20% on the front...

they also make a little fan that attaches to the window (when cracked) and really helps to circulate air and runs off a solar cell, so no battery draining, but this is for like texas or arizona heat (or anywhere else in the sun belt including SoCal). you should be just fine with tint and a sunshield.
IkeRay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-08, 01:17 AM   #15 (permalink)
Stu

Car 1: 2005 Lexus LS430

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edify View Post
I asked that question to a friend of mine who professionally tints, and his response was that really dark tint(anything less than 15%) actually will heat up the interior more because the darker tint actually holds the heat more than the lighter tints and thus the interior can be warmer. -Ed
interesting. Sounds possible and quite surprising too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alperovich View Post
my coupe has 20% tint, and it gets really not in it in the summer. but i can't tell u if it would be cooler with lighter tint or not. it defiantly gets hot thou.
maybe you just proved the point above IS true!

Quote:
Originally Posted by whyteLegend View Post
Yes it does keep cooler by blocking out UV rays (get that one), that was my reason for tinting the car.
I doubt its UV the heats the car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinyix View Post
UV light can't penetrate any type of glass. Ever notice you never get any sun burn through a window?
very true, I never worry about or have had a sun burn for being inside a car!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blingting View Post
There are many benefits to having your windows tinted, and each person has their own specific wants and needs.

Ceramic Film

This film blocks 2 times more heat than dyed or hybrid film, and is the most technologically advanced film today. Customers would choose this film to achieve ultimate heat reduction without really having to darken their windows. This film increases interior comfort and is more durable than any other film on the market.

*This tint has no metal in it, and does not interfere with radar detectors, radio, and NAV systems.

Looks like this is the right tint for me ! Thanks Bling !
Stu is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

The Acura Legend & Acura RL Forum > Acura Legend > Second Generation Legend (1991-1995)