wet leather.... how to dry.....(left sunroof open in rain)!!!!!!!!!! - The Acura Legend & Acura RL Forum
Acura Legend Forum Acura Legend Forum

Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   The Acura Legend & Acura RL Forum > Acura Legend > Second Generation Legend (1991-1995)

Second Generation Legend (1991-1995)

Acura-Legend.com is the premier Acura Legend Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-30-03, 09:06 PM   #1 (permalink)
Say wha*???

Car 1: Seattle Silver 1992 LS Sedan

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Tim92LS
wet leather.... how to dry.....(left sunroof open in rain)!!!!!!!!!!

well heres the deal... I came in around one last night and managed to leave my sunroof open. It was nice, clear skys, etc. Some time during the night it started raining, and rained all night.

So I dried it up this morning as best I could, and cleaned and conditioned the leather, but when I sit in the seat for more than a minute or 2 my but starts to get wet.

Has anyone else had this happen? Will it dry out after a day or 2 in the sun? Have I ruined anything? Would you reccomend using or not using the seat warmers untill it dries out? How should I go about this? -Tim
12in Eclipse sub
Sylvania silverstars

Coming attractions:
6000k HID
Drilled and sloted Rotors
Tim92LS is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-30-03, 09:37 PM   #2 (permalink)
Man, My*h, Legend

Car 1: '94 Legend LS Sedan

My guess would be to de-install the seats and dry them out as best you can from under the seat with a fan or a blow dryer. Your biggest problem will be with the seats still damp inside, mildew will grow and if that happens it will be harder to get that smell out. I wish I could be more help.
Steve

Last edited by SteveLuke; 03-30-03 at 10:11 PM.
SteveLuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-03, 09:48 PM   #3 (permalink)
D O O M B R 1 N G E R

Car 1: 1992 LS Sedan

sorry to hear that. it does suck.

it never happened to me before, i really dont know how to deal with this issue.

when the water got sucked into seat and carpet, it will be very hard to get them out from dead spots. I really worry about the funny smell inside of you car later around. i would say when its sunny outside, leave all the windows and doors wide open letting them try naturally.

good luck man. (never and ever leave your roof and window open when you are not inside of your car !!!)
Clear bumper
20%Tint
PIAA 004X Xtreme White
Sylvania Silverstars
Alpine 6 CD changer
101000miles

G2 FAQ

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/...a/fb95d254.jpg
welovelegend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-03, 09:59 PM   #4 (permalink)

Car 1: '92 Vigor and '93 Legend

DON'T TAKE OFF THE LEATHER....a friend of mine did that so that he could clean his seats after he left his sunroof open....the leather will shrink as it dries and you will find yourself grunting and struggling like never before....try parking the car in the sun with the windows down (after the bad weather has passed)....last thing you want it to lock up the car with the damp padding under the leather...

\/\/ Hasn't had "ANY" in a while \/\/

Quote:
Originally posted by Dave C ver2.0
Why do you people REFUSE to use the search function. Are you so ignorant you can't even do your own research.

Yeah. I know I'm being an AHole by todays standards. But what the F are you going to do when adults aren't here to spoon feed you information.
Nomad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-03, 10:12 PM   #5 (permalink)
Say wha*???

Car 1: Seattle Silver 1992 LS Sedan

Send a message via AIM to Tim92LS
right.... pretty much my best bet is to hope it dries up nice when its sunny out next. I hope i didn't really **** anything up. I think it should be ok. -tim
12in Eclipse sub
Sylvania silverstars

Coming attractions:
6000k HID
Drilled and sloted Rotors
Tim92LS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-03, 10:31 PM   #6 (permalink)
* H * G Z , * N * .

Car 1: 1997 3.5 RL

Try buying a couple cans of Damp-Rid and place them in your car at night to suck up the moisture from the air. Just a suggestion.

Last edited by g-man; 03-31-03 at 12:11 AM.
g-man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-03, 11:34 PM   #7 (permalink)
Legendary Lover

Car 1: 95 Legend LS Coupe Black on Black Baby!!

Re: wet leather.... how to dry.....(left sunroof open in rain)!!!!!!!!!!

Quote:
Originally posted by Tim92LS
well heres the deal... I came in around one last night and managed to leave my sunroof open. It was nice, clear skys, etc. Some time during the night it started raining, and rained all night.

So I dried it up this morning as best I could, and cleaned and conditioned the leather, but when I sit in the seat for more than a minute or 2 my but starts to get wet.

Has anyone else had this happen? Will it dry out after a day or 2 in the sun? Have I ruined anything? Would you reccomend using or not using the seat warmers untill it dries out? How should I go about this? -Tim

This is so depressing sorry man I don't have any advice to give you but that really sucks
legend4life95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-03, 04:07 AM   #8 (permalink)
Banned

Car 1: Acura Legend GS Sedan

Send a message via AIM to LeGenDz Send a message via Yahoo to LeGenDz
Oddly enough, this has happened to me TWICE.
LeGenDz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-03, 02:50 PM   #9 (permalink)

Car 1: 1992 Buck' Blue Vigor GS 5spd

Quote:
right.... pretty much my best bet is to hope it dries up nice when its sunny out next. I hope i didn't really **** anything up. I think it should be ok. -tim

dude, i'd say you should take a more pro-active approach. somebody hit it on the head earlier with the mildew thing. if you dry it quickly, and completely - nothing will grow, nothing will smell. but if it dries slowly, then if something does grow, it will always smell. i've had cars (including my current ack) that still have a resemblance of that new acura smell after 10 years/100k miles.

If you've got the time, i would pull the seats and use towels to try to dry the carpet as much as possible. also using the towels and sitting in the seats until your butt won't get wet anymore is a good idea. then haul your seats into your house where it is warm/dry. if you have access to a garage, try to leave the car in there for a day (assuming you can work out rides, or another car?) with the windows open.

it WILL dry in time - i've done it before too in my old prelude. but getting it dried in a day or two is best... imho.

good luck with that! since i've done the exact same thing probably 4-5 times, i ALWAYS think twice about leaving the roof open, even if only for 5 minutes. (but i also live in seattle. hahahaha!)

diesel
dieselrulz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-03, 05:09 PM   #10 (permalink)

Car 1: Vineyard Grey Metallic 91 LS Sedan

Re: wet leather.... how to dry.....(left sunroof open in rain)!!!!!!!!!!

I had a similar situation a couple of years ago, caused by one of the techs at my dealer who left the moonroof open when my car was kept for service overnight in their open-air storage yard. There was a thunderstorm but luckily it was very brief so inside the car was not too soaked. I left the car parked in my garage with the windows down and moonroof open for a couple of days and everything dried out just fine. The leather is still good as new.

Quote:

Glen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-03, 06:27 PM   #11 (permalink)

Car 1: 1991 Artic White LS Sedan
Car 2: 2003 Acura TL Type-S
Car 3: 1974 Black Elephant

Send a message via ICQ to LEGENDarith Send a message via AIM to LEGENDarith Send a message via Yahoo to LEGENDarith
This is what I did to a legend that got flooded about 3 years ago. It's a real pain but it's the right way to do it. Did water get in the rear seats?

1. Remove all the seats (driver, passenger, and rear).
2. Remove the center console parts.
3. Remove the carpet (You will have to get scissors to cut the middle carpet behind the radio area)

If you see rust anywhere on metal parts, get WD-40 and scrub the rust off.

For the leather, it will take up to a week to dry (because the water got inside the insulation also). Purchase leather shampoo and conditionder and clean your leather. The molecules from the rain will harden some of your leather if you don't clean it. Since you already cleaned it, then most likely you won't have to clean it again.

For the carpet, just shampoo it and vaccuum it.

There will be a smell (like a water stain smell), but just get air fresheners and the smell will be gone in a couple months.
It's way too much to do, but in the end it's all worth it.
She Hass big ones

2003 Acura TL Type-S Silver/Black 25k Miles
LEGENDarith is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

The Acura Legend & Acura RL Forum > Acura Legend > Second Generation Legend (1991-1995)