White Smoke? - The Acura Legend & Acura RL Forum
Acura Legend Forum Acura Legend Forum

Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   The Acura Legend & Acura RL Forum > Acura Legend > Second Generation Legend (1991-1995)

Second Generation Legend (1991-1995)

Acura-Legend.com is the premier Acura Legend Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-23-10, 11:24 PM   #1 (permalink)

Car 1: 1992 Toyota Camry LE 5SFE
Car 2: 1996 Impala SS

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Send a message via AIM to theprofessional
White Smoke?

White Smoke, when it first comes to mind to a Legend owner, its initially referenced to a Head gasket issue, but here is the dilemma.

a.) There is no coolant mix in the oil, oil is what it should look like.
b.) There is no oil mix in the coolant in the radiator/ coolant reservoir.
c.) Stable Idle, stays where it should, no fluctuation.
d.) Coolant Temperature Needle shows everything is A-O-K, warms up, sits right below mid point on the gauge and stays there, even when extensive idling (eg. NYC stop & go) or extensive freeway driving.

But, heavy at start-up is white smoke, that subsides when the block is warmed up. White smoke is very minimal, heck even sometimes non existent when the engine has been at operating temp for a short while. The heater works as it should, and is consistent and not sporadic. Now the car was used sporadically previously, and these conditions have been experienced at 30-45 degree temps.

Initially, I thought it was definite head gasket issues, but the only sign is the white smoke that disappears once the block is warmed up. So I guess there is a possibility of Valve Stem seal failure?

I'm at a loss, thanks!

BTW, 1995 Acura Legend LS Sedan 85K
theprofessional is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-24-10, 12:18 AM   #2 (permalink)

Car 1: 1992 Acura Legend LS

Do you have video of it idling? It may just be condensation. If it were bad valve seals, you'd have blue smoke.
byalegend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-10, 12:26 AM   #3 (permalink)

Car 1: 1993 Legend 6-spd
Car 2: 2004 Tahoe

iTrader Score: 63 reviews
Sounds like it could be valve stem seals, do you have the smoke at all if you let it idle at a long stop light once it is warm? There are some people who have change to running royal purple oil and have had success getting rid of the smoke and some have used lukas to condition the seals and also have reported success in getting rid of the smoke.

ari_one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-10, 12:46 AM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ari_one View Post
Sounds like it could be valve stem seals, do you have the smoke at all if you let it idle at a long stop light once it is warm? There are some people who have change to running royal purple oil and have had success getting rid of the smoke and some have used lukas to condition the seals and also have reported success in getting rid of the smoke.
His smoke is white, so I doubt it's valve seals.

OP, if you don't have a sweet smelling exhaust, my guess is still condensation.
Old 02-24-10, 01:27 AM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by byalegend View Post
His smoke is white, so I doubt it's valve seals.

OP, if you don't have a sweet smelling exhaust, my guess is still condensation.
Thanks, yeah that's what I thought too, that it would have to be blueish, but I've heard that it may also come off whitish. I really hope its condensation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ari_one View Post
Thank You!
Yeah, in general when the car idles for a while, not even at a stop light, sometimes it takes 5-10 minutes idling, the car may start putting out white smoke but not much at all, just enough that dissipates 2"-6" away from the tail pipe. Other times, it will idle with no smoke what so ever.

I am getting pretty paranoid about it, as I have emission/sniffer-dyno inspection within 10 days, and I am worried it will fail, unless the engine is warm.
My uncle has worked on cars forever, and says the exhaust smells like fumes, and not like antifreeze. Albeit I am only 18 but, I keep thinking it could be burning coolant, and I am unsure about the scent, as there isn't anything too distinctive.

I just want it to pass inspection for the time being. & address the issue at a later time, preferably this summer as the weather will be much warmer, and get everything in order then. Because like I said the car runs well.
Old 02-24-10, 01:38 AM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by theprofessional View Post

I am getting pretty paranoid about it, as I have emission/sniffer-dyno inspection within 10 days, and I am worried it will fail, unless the engine is warm.
My uncle has worked on cars forever, and says the exhaust smells like fumes, and not like antifreeze. Albeit I am only 18 but, I keep thinking it could be burning coolant, and I am unsure about the scent, as there isn't anything too distinctive.

I just want it to pass inspection for the time being. & address the issue at a later time, preferably this summer as the weather will be much warmer, and get everything in order then. Because like I said the car runs well.
It sounds like the typical Legend BHG paranoia to me - we all have it . I wouldn't worry about the white exhaust smoke. I had valve seal issues for 7 to 10 years in my Legend before I replaced them this past summer, and I would leave a cloud of blue smoke at stoplights after idling.
Old 02-24-10, 05:53 PM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by byalegend View Post
It sounds like the typical Legend BHG paranoia to me - we all have it . I wouldn't worry about the white exhaust smoke. I had valve seal issues for 7 to 10 years in my Legend before I replaced them this past summer, and I would leave a cloud of blue smoke at stoplights after idling.

Thanks, I hope its nothing.
Once it passes inspection, I will just let it be, until May, or whenever temperatures are around 60 degrees. Then coolant flush, the previous owner used prestone.

But, cooling system looks to be good, all hoses are crack free.

I am hoping that since it was not used much, only about 1,500 miles in the last year, that maybe the seals needed to be "primed" up better. As I have driven it everyday, and made sure it stays fully warmed up for a while, and I think it is getting better.
Old 02-24-10, 07:42 PM   #8 (permalink)

Car 1: 94 acura legend ls

iTrader Score: 8 reviews
I wouldn't be to worried, my car does the same thing till it gets hot. If your not losing coolant and no mixture of oil or coolant is obvious. It's just condensation.
Old 02-24-10, 09:46 PM   #9 (permalink)
Holla at Ya Boy

Car 1: Acura Legend Coupe LS 1990
Car 2: Legend 1993 LS Coupe

iTrader Score: 34 reviews
The tube seals could be leaking oil onto your spark plugs causing white smoke. Get a valve cover gasket kit and see if that fixes your problem. I had the exact same problem and replaced the gasket kit which fixed the smoking problem.

The Acura Legend & Acura RL Forum > Acura Legend > Second Generation Legend (1991-1995)