Is your 91-95 Legend overheating? Got a coolant problem? Post all questions in here. - The Acura Legend & Acura RL Forum
Acura Legend Forum Acura Legend Forum

Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   The Acura Legend & Acura RL Forum > Acura Legend > Second Generation Legend (1991-1995)

Second Generation Legend (1991-1995)

Acura-Legend.com is the premier Acura Legend Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 20 votes, 4.25 average. Display Modes
Old 11-18-03, 09:10 AM   #1 (permalink)

Car 1: 3.5L 1991 LS Coupe 5 Spd Blk/Blk
Car 2: 1999 Acura 3.5RL
Car 3: 2004 GMC Sierra Z71

iTrader Score: 5 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Mike Diaz
Is your 91-95 Legend overheating? Got a coolant problem? Post all questions in here.

There's a lot of overheating problems on the 2nd Generation boards right now. The questions should all go in here from now on, so we don't clutter up the board with the same questions over and over. Any new thread that is created will be moved to this thread. This is meant to be a 100% discussion on the overheating problems of the 91-95 Legends. Questions, answers, theories, and anything that pertains to overheating, coolant, water pumps, thermostats, heater cores, radiators, and radiator hoses are permitted. Off topic and other garbage posts will be deleted.

Thanks
MGMT.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-18-03, 11:34 PM   #2 (permalink)

Car 1: 1995 Blk LS Coupe

iTrader Score: 4 reviews
Beautiful. Matter of fact is there any way that all those threads like the one SHAWNDRA just posted not to long ago could merged into this thead. I think that would kick this thread off to an awesome start.
Old 11-19-03, 12:20 AM   #3 (permalink)

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Send a message via AIM to OlympusMons Send a message via Yahoo to OlympusMons
i had my head gasket done at 136k and radiator replaced at the same time. im at 172k now and i replaced my radiator this past weekend because i saw steam at the top and residue from what looked like a small coolant leak. last time i replaced the radiator the leak was on the driver's side, this time it was on the passenger's side. it seems like these leaks dont trigger anything on a pressure test because last time i had the radiator replaced, 2 separate shops told me there were no leaks and it wasnt until i did some research here and looked around where people had reported leaks that i saw the indications of a leak myself.

so far, the temp guage hasn't gone past where it normally sits and as of Sunday night there was no air in the system to bleed out. i figure i will wait til this weekend and try to bleed it again, if there's air then i have a leak somewhere else or possibly a BHG. no air, im going to assume im ok for now and start looking for a good deal on a 1999+ 3.5 RL.

for everyone having problems, good luck
Old 11-19-03, 02:40 AM   #4 (permalink)
Cole Austin

I replaced my thermostat yesterday, and I can't tell if it solved my problems yet. When I drove the car this morning the temp gauge never spiked, but the heat was still not blowing hot air consistently (sometimes blowing super hot air and other times blowing coldish air). I've had problems with air getting into the system and I have bled the air out several times.

I guess my question is if anybody has ever had problems of air in the cooling system, and non-consistent heat, did replacing the thermostat fix these problems?? Or do I have a bigger problem with my water pump/radiator/HG/heater core?

Old 11-19-03, 02:55 AM   #5 (permalink)
handlebars.

Car 1: 1992 pearl white LS Sedan

Send a message via AIM to newowner92LS
chances are the thermostat is not what was letting air into the system

If air is repeatedly getting into the system, I would say you probably have a bigger issue to deal with

"The limits of tyrants are prescribed by the endurance of those whom they oppress."
Old 11-19-03, 06:59 AM   #6 (permalink)

Car 1: 91-95

My cold air ordeal was recified after replacing thermostat. Before that, the needle would never get up to operating termperature, always a notch or 2 under (depending if I was on highway or just sitting in traffic) so in essence the coolant never had the chance to get hot enough to blow hot air.
Old 11-19-03, 02:52 PM   #7 (permalink)

Car 1: 91 LS Sedan, White

How can I tell if I have Honda brand coolant? Is that even possible? I need to top it off just a bit...if it is not Honda, would it be ok to add Honda or will mixing coolants cause me trouble?
Old 11-19-03, 04:23 PM   #8 (permalink)
Searhng for my ope!

Car 1: 1991 LS Sedan-COMPLETELY BUSTED!

Quote:
Originally posted by pi314159-ish
How can I tell if I have Honda brand coolant? Is that even possible? I need to top it off just a bit...if it is not Honda, would it be ok to add Honda or will mixing coolants cause me trouble?

DO NOT MIX 2 DIFFERENT TYPES OF COOLANTS! It would be best if you just did a complete flush and refill with only Honda Coolant. Stevieray told me about it and yes it makes a difference even though I don't have the exact reason why. Any Honda fluids will be expensive, but it will be well worth it.
Old 11-19-03, 09:58 PM   #9 (permalink)
legendary!

Car 1: 1993 acura legend coupe metallic green

Send a message via AIM to legendcoupe93
Quote:
Originally posted by Cole Austin
I replaced my thermostat yesterday, and I can't tell if it solved my problems yet. When I drove the car this morning the temp gauge never spiked, but the heat was still not blowing hot air consistently (sometimes blowing super hot air and other times blowing coldish air). I've had problems with air getting into the system and I have bled the air out several times.

I guess my question is if anybody has ever had problems of air in the cooling system, and non-consistent heat, did replacing the thermostat fix these problems?? Or do I have a bigger problem with my water pump/radiator/HG/heater core?
heater not blowing hot air, usualy a sign of low coolent. when u turn ur heater on it it makes the "heater controll valve" open and allow hot coolent to flow into ur dash and warm the air in the vents. having not enough coolent will cause little or no heat and air in ur system. best of luck!
drew
Vehicle & Vehicular Equipment Mechanic Apprentance
legendcoupe93@yahoo.com
15% black tint
koni/Ground Control
SPC ball joint
Enkei LM1 18"
x-drilled slotted rotors
kenwood 7inch touch flip
alpine type R 10" sub
no name amp 300w
mcCulloch 5000K H.I.D.
bayou chip
new type II
type S door speakers
pioneer 4 way 6x9
Im broke!
Old 11-19-03, 11:07 PM   #10 (permalink)

Car 1: 3.5L 1991 LS Coupe 5 Spd Blk/Blk
Car 2: 1999 Acura 3.5RL
Car 3: 2004 GMC Sierra Z71

iTrader Score: 5 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Mike Diaz
my heater wasn't blowing cold air, the next day, the bearing seal on the water pump gave out and dumped all my coolant on the road. The only bad thing about that is, it didn't do it until you hit 2000 RPM, so it was leaking while I was driving, I couldn't see it while it was idling. I had to rev the engine with the throttle body to find the leak. Also, I could only see a little bit of coolant sitting on the lower plastic cover, most of it drips straight on the ground.
Old 11-20-03, 01:16 AM   #11 (permalink)
Cole Austin

My coolant level was completely full, and just like before I have once again gotten air in my cooling system. I have never found a leak outside the car. Looks like I'm going take the car to get tested for a BHG. I'm just confused b/c I don't have the white smoke or loss of power that normally happens from a BHG...

Old 11-20-03, 02:48 AM   #12 (permalink)

Car 1: 1991 Legend L Sedan Wrecked!
Car 2: 95 Legend "L" Sedan

Anyone tried this product : http://www.royalmgi.com/purpleice.html
It is supposed to reduce engine temps up to 30 deg. There is a similar product at a local Checker Auto made by CRC that claims to do the same thing.
Old 11-20-03, 03:58 AM   #13 (permalink)
Pedobear is watching you

Car 1: 2002 TL-S, white
Car 2: 1992 Corvette

iTrader Score: 3 reviews
Send a message via AIM to tnelson
k, i get no cold air, temp is normal and rises to 2/3-full H. then i run the revs up and it drops to normal and i get hot air.

discuss
Old 11-20-03, 04:20 AM   #14 (permalink)
Want another Legend

Car 1: '04 RSX-S
Car 2: Legend on its way

Send a message via AIM to CU-Legend
Cole, I had a small leak in one of my water return hoses that was letting air into my system but the coolant wasn't actually leaking onto the ground so I couldn't see the leak. One shop said I had BHG but my Acura dealer found the leak and all is fixed now..

1991 Automatic Frost White coupe - Sold
1993 6-speed Granada Black Pearl Metallic coupe - Sold
2004 RSX-S Artic Blue Pearl - Traded
2007 Mazdaspeed6
Old 11-20-03, 03:11 PM   #15 (permalink)

Car 1: 91 LS Sedan, White

I was going through some old literature tucked away in the owners manual and I came across a brochure from the actual dealer where my car was purchased that says 'Precision Team Maintenance Schedule" and it listed replacing the timing belt and water pump at 48 months or 60,000 miles. What's up with that? I always heard it was 6 years or 90,000 mi and they certainly weren't replaced in my 120,000 mi service (not on the mechanic's printed check list).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

The Acura Legend & Acura RL Forum > Acura Legend > Second Generation Legend (1991-1995)