Is your 91-95 Legend overheating? Got a coolant problem? Post all questions in here. - Page 130 - The Acura Legend & Acura RL Forum
Acura Legend Forum Acura Legend Forum

Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   The Acura Legend & Acura RL Forum > Acura Legend > Second Generation Legend (1991-1995)

Second Generation Legend (1991-1995)

Acura-Legend.com is the premier Acura Legend Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 20 votes, 4.25 average. Display Modes
Old 09-05-08, 08:54 PM   #1936 (permalink)
A Pinnacle of Performance

Car 1: 91 Acura Integra RS
Car 2: 94 Acura Legend L

iTrader Score: 2 reviews
Alright Already...

After wondering for a while and reading my self insane in this hundreds-of-pages thread over heat issues, I have to admit, something is malfunctioning in my cooling system. And I know its not like you haven't heard enough of these redundant posts but please, do lend an ear and maybe give me some expert insight, all you OG cooling system brainiacs.

The situation:
My 94 is worrying me. During normal driving, never, ever does my Legend overheat under any conditions. But, I'd say its a small but, but sometimes if I'm sitting with my car on just idling and chatting out the window for maybe over 5-7 minutes my temp gauge will begin to creep up the scale a little, which immediately catches my eye and ends whatever conversation I was involved in like the drop of a hat. So what I do (and mind you this has only happened twice now) is just get moving, just get the engine spinning and circulating everything and within, say, a couple hundred feet the temp gauge is seated back where its supposed to be. So I'm sure your all thinking, an air bubble, bhg, etc. and while those may be plausible, hear me out still.
--Anyway, the reason I'm hesitant to assume the worst is because my fans do not go on during these extented idle periods(and come to think about it I've only heard them go on once since I've owned the car) which was the first time the temp gauge snuck up on me and went a little higher than I would like to ever see since it was the first time it ever happened and I wasn't looking out for it. I killed the engine and they were on for a bit, but thats it for seeing them turn on.
--Also the car has been completely dealer maintained and thats the only reason I doubt my listings below.

--So the obvious first glance diagnosis' would be:

1. Air in system. > Remedy > Bleed it
2. Fan Relay Prob. > Need more info on remedy
3. Fan Operation in General > Paper Clip the connector
4. BHG...I surely hope not
5. Thermosensor (Sends temp signal? Correct? I need some help on that aspect)
6. Thermostat > Doubtful since I have Heat and A/C working
7. Blatent Fan Test > via Turning on A/C which makes them go on automatically> need to check that, at college at the moment.

I don't want to make my own guesses because admittedly I don't know enough about our cooling system/its problems as I know for sure that some of you guys do. My only other question was, would the lack of fans coming on ever, and the fact that I have consistently normal temps during all driving, simply be the cause of this problem? Just that the fans aren't discarding all the temporary engine bay heat during idle?

So what do you guys think? Based on the situation I described maybe you guys can knock some possiblities off the list as causes and lay-ith some knowledge on a brother.

I really appreciate any and all responses to my problem, my Legend means the world and I need it to run for a good long while.

Anywho, You tell me
Thanks again

-prominance1-

-'91 Palmy Blue Integra RS 5MT
--321,456 on the odo.(orginal everything except windshield) till someone ran a light and nailed her

- Polk Momo front and back coming soon..

- Hella Micro DE's- Installed and looking FINE as hell

-JDM Aluminum Door Sills- O soo classy

Most Insane Sounding Car Ever
p.s. I LOVE LEGENDS I hope you do
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-06-08, 03:55 AM   #1937 (permalink)
FIXER

Car 1: 1992 Legend L 265k Black(sold) 1994 Legend LS 175K Green 1967 NOVA SS Bolero Red

iTrader Score: 1 reviews
Sounds like a cooling fan issue to me. Does your condenser fan come on when the a/c compressor cycles on? Assuming your a/c works correctly.
If it does not then your problem is probably related to a relay. Read my posts in this thread to isolate it.
Really confusing problem...
Old 09-06-08, 09:52 AM   #1938 (permalink)

Car 1: 91 Acura Legend Coupe
Car 2: 91 Acura Legend 4dr

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
my legend has been overheating, i took the thermostat out bcuz i thought it was sticking, it still overheated i replaced the radiator cuz i saw coolant leaking out of the bottom of the car and i took it 4 a drive and it overheated again. all of the coolant ends up in the overfill reservoir, mind u i bled out the air each time. im beginning 2 think its a bhg but there is no white smoke or fluids mixing, there is no oil in my radiator, or coolant in my oil. i dont kno wut 2 think now?????
Old 09-06-08, 01:07 PM   #1939 (permalink)
A Pinnacle of Performance

Car 1: 91 Acura Integra RS
Car 2: 94 Acura Legend L

iTrader Score: 2 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jetdoc View Post
Sounds like a cooling fan issue to me. Does your condenser fan come on when the a/c compressor cycles on? Assuming your a/c works correctly.
If it does not then your problem is probably related to a relay. Read my posts in this thread to isolate it.
Really confusing problem...
Thanks Jetdoc I'll take a look at it asap, hopefully it solves the problem

-'91 Palmy Blue Integra RS 5MT
--321,456 on the odo.(orginal everything except windshield) till someone ran a light and nailed her

- Polk Momo front and back coming soon..

- Hella Micro DE's- Installed and looking FINE as hell

-JDM Aluminum Door Sills- O soo classy

Most Insane Sounding Car Ever
p.s. I LOVE LEGENDS I hope you do
Old 09-07-08, 11:54 PM   #1940 (permalink)

Car 1: 1993 Acura Legend LS
Car 2: '97 Honda Accord V6
Car 3: '97 Nissan Quest XE

my legend's temp gauge fluctuates between medium and H rapidly. i opened the hood and the overflow bottle was full all the way to the top. I asked my dad and he said its the thermostat not opening. can this be it?
Old 09-09-08, 12:26 AM   #1941 (permalink)
FIXER

Car 1: 1992 Legend L 265k Black(sold) 1994 Legend LS 175K Green 1967 NOVA SS Bolero Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by dans93legend View Post
my legend's temp gauge fluctuates between medium and H rapidly. i opened the hood and the overflow bottle was full all the way to the top. I asked my dad and he said its the thermostat not opening. can this be it?
On most cars this would be correct but not on this machine. When the coolant gets low the temp will start to flux up and down. The fluxing is a result of the coolant getting low. You know where it's going(rsivoir tank). Now you have to figure out why the system is overpressurizing and forcing the coolant past the radiator cap. If you do replace the thermostat be sure and use an Acura one but it is probably ok. Might be a good idea to replace the radiator cap also. Service it back up being sure to follow the bleeding procedure in the owners manual. Somewhere around page 162 I think. Check for leaks. If no leaks and it continues to pump coolant into the overflow you are probably looking at a seeping headgasket.
Old 09-09-08, 12:38 AM   #1942 (permalink)

Car 1: 94 legend ls

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Diaz View Post
There's a lot of overheating problems on the 2nd Generation boards right now. The questions should all go in here from now on, so we don't clutter up the board with the same questions over and over. Any new thread that is created will be moved to this thread. This is meant to be a 100% discussion on the overheating problems of the 91-95 Legends. Questions, answers, theories, and anything that pertains to overheating, coolant, water pumps, thermostats, heater cores, radiators, and radiator hoses are permitted. Off topic and other garbage posts will be deleted.

Thanks
MGMT.
yomy 94 legend is overheating and also leaking coolant someone pls tell me wear to start
Old 09-20-08, 01:35 AM   #1943 (permalink)

Car 1: 91 Acura KA8
Car 2: BMW E39
Car 3: Mercedes W140

hey guys, i'm new to the forum, but owned a legend for a long time now...

I've got the blown head gasket problem, just like everyone else... i think i caught it right before it got real bad... cars been sitting on the side of the house for a while now... i've done the search, and alot of matches come up, but nothing really matches... i've gone through pages and pages, but its just members saying they have the problem, but no one saying how to fix it...

I was wondering if there was a DIY (with pictures) to show how to do BHG repair... I've got the space, i've got the time, i've got the tools, i've got the manual, but little know-how... hahaha... please let me know... thanx!

also, having problems with my A/C not coming on... Fan works, but compressor doesn't seem to be kicking in... i'm hoping its the Clutch Relay... I know its in BOX C, but which one of them is it? there's no chart..

Last edited by javaco888; 09-20-08 at 01:39 AM. Reason: additional issues
Old 09-24-08, 11:07 AM   #1944 (permalink)

my 91 is over heating

I just bought a 91 legend, with 129k on it. The radiator was just replaced, but the car overheats in consistantly. Sometimes it will not, sometimes it will. Generally if i drive faster it goes away. I notice that my coolant is coming out somewhere neat the crankshaft in small amounts. I have no white smoke in the exhaust, and no water in my oil. I also notice that I have no pressure on my upper radiator hose. It gets hot, but no pressure. Both my fans are coming on as needed on their own.

Let me know what u think.
Old 09-26-08, 12:01 AM   #1945 (permalink)
FIXER

Quote:
Originally Posted by 99986 View Post
I just bought a 91 legend, with 129k on it. The radiator was just replaced, but the car overheats in consistantly. Sometimes it will not, sometimes it will. Generally if i drive faster it goes away. I notice that my coolant is coming out somewhere neat the crankshaft in small amounts. I have no white smoke in the exhaust, and no water in my oil. I also notice that I have no pressure on my upper radiator hose. It gets hot, but no pressure. Both my fans are coming on as needed on their own.

Let me know what u think.
Make sure you have the correct radiator cap. Some of the replacement radiators use different caps.
Old 09-28-08, 12:40 PM   #1946 (permalink)
IamLegend

Car 1: 93 Acura Legend
Car 2: skyline one day

iTrader Score: 8 reviews
My fan problem, could it be bhg??

ok heres the deal, My fans just decided to stop working now i currently have them hooked up to my fog lights and turn them on myself with a switch(cant keep doing this) my mechanic thought relay or cooling sensor, i fixed both problems and both fuses. Now to keep car from over heating i use the switch and turn on ac, it is still hot outside but winters almost here and once it still overheated after a real long time just with fan colling it, weird right? Now im thinking its the rad.fan control unit right? but someone brought to my intention about BHG. Will your car run fine like myne has for the past 2 weeks with BHG. And i have no leaks, what so ever and only bleed it because i had to after I took out the cooling temperature sensor cause thats what ur supposed to do. Sorry for the rambling just want you to know everything i know my question is Are these BHG symptom?? And what other things will i notice about the BHG problem, my cars running fine everyday. thank you so much for your help guys.
Old 09-28-08, 02:40 PM   #1947 (permalink)
FIXER

Quote:
I took out the cooling temperature sensor cause thats what ur supposed to do.
What? Never heard of this...

Explain the original symptoms. Did it only overheat when stopped or in traffic or when driving at normal speeds?

The cooling fans are designed to keep the coolant temp down when there is no airflow across the radiator from driving.
Old 10-01-08, 01:59 AM   #1948 (permalink)
Gangstar* User

Car 1: 93 Legend Sedan *R.I.P

iTrader Score: 4 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Dance4Zak Send a message via Yahoo to Dance4Zak
off topic

This is a little off topic but this is how it goes

I was sitting at gas station with a few friends, the car was on idling for about 10 mins *dont ask why* but i come around to the front of the car and there is a big green mess pouring from beneath.

So I turn off the car, jack it up right there and check.

No leaks from radiator. . no holes in lines, so i drive it home doesnt leak anymore

I put it on the stand when I get home and see that the leak came from behind the engine, 2 lines that come around on the finder and up over/around the transmission on the left side ?

But to my surprise nothing leaks again, I fill it back up, bleed it, and drove it around for almost 400 miles since, and no leak

anyone ever heard of this?
Old 10-01-08, 12:17 PM   #1949 (permalink)

Car 1: 1994 2dr legend ls

Hello there my name is Allen, i'm new to this web page in fact i never done anything like this going on a page like this but today , i had 2 problemes with my 2dr 94 legend ls, i bought it six months ago, my ac was not working when i bought it had no problems with the car, today i was taking my niece to school and the my engine started to overheat, could it be that i need to to fix my AC or this is an indication for head gasget leak or........., the second thing was my MPH meter started to drop to 0 when i was driving on the free way doing 70 and then went up back to 70 but the car was running normal.
anyone here who ever had such a problem ?

thanks
Old 10-01-08, 11:27 PM   #1950 (permalink)
FIXER

Speedometer problem is a common Legend problem. It's the VSS - Vehicle Speed Sensor is going bad. Use the search function and search for VSS.

Temp problem - First verify that the coolant is full at the radiator. If it is low, service it up to full and verify there are no leaks. You should search for "bleeding procedure" and make sure you get all the air out when you add coolant.
We need to know if it was overheating when stopped or when driving at speed.
Advertisement

Closed Thread

The Acura Legend & Acura RL Forum > Acura Legend > Second Generation Legend (1991-1995)