SR5GUY Performance Chipped Engine Computers - The Acura Legend & Acura RL Forum
Acura Legend Forum Acura Legend Forum

Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   The Acura Legend & Acura RL Forum > The Marketplace > Aftermarket Parts

Aftermarket Parts Are you wanting to sell an aftermarket modification like wheels, lights, audio systems, etc.? Post it in this section!!

Acura-Legend.com is the premier Acura Legend Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-21-08, 07:19 PM   #1 (permalink)
One Meeelion HP

Car 1: 95 BMW 740I
Car 2: (860) 585-7200
Car 3: 91 LS Cpe 3.5 *sold*

iTrader Score: 44 reviews
Send a message via ICQ to sr5guy Send a message via AIM to sr5guy
Post SR5GUY Performance Chipped Engine Computers

The sr5guy chips are now for sale again!

The intent of this thread is to provide answers to commonly asked questions regarding chipped Legend ECU’s. A chipped ECU is one of the best and most inexpensive performance modifications for the Legend. Next to installing an intake, it is the best bang-for-your-buck modification. It is easy to install and the performance gains even with a bone stock motor are very real. Some of you may remember some very public problems I had in the past with customer service. I have put that behind and now you can be guaranteed that you will receive your ECU quickly.

How is power gained from a chipped ECU?

All stock engines are conservatively tuned by the factory based on numerous factors. The design of the intake and exhaust system, emissions and fuel economy, altitude from sea level, compression ratio and camshaft lift, duration and timing are a few of the most important ones. Some companies purposely de-tune the engine for insurance purposes, type of tire used and the associated traction, automatic transmission, wheel hop, genre of car, etc. A certain compromise is usually made so that the tune meets all of these criteria.

The most significant gains in power from the Legend ECU come from the modification of the ignition timing map. The map is very conservatively tuned to US federal emissions regulations. As you probably know, the Legend engine does not have a distributor. It has a direct ignition system with individual coil packs. Without a distributor there is no way to modify or adjust the ignition timing – it is completely controlled by the ECU. Even with a distributor, the precise control of the ignition times at various load and RPM levels far exceed the gains of simply advancing the distributor.

Why aren’t the fuel maps modified?

The Legend ECU, like most engine computers, operates in a closed loop feedback mode once the car is warmed up. The ECU monitors the output of the oxygen sensors and adjusts the fuel on the fly to obtain a proper fuel mixture as close to stoic as possible (14.7:1). The ECU is able to adjust for clogged or leaking injectors by method of short and long term fuel trim. Since the Legend ECU has not been fully cracked there is no way to see what these short and long term fuel trims are. Without the fuel trim data and a method to hold the ECU in open loop there is no way to properly tune the fuel maps.

What type of gains can I expect and what modifications are necessary?

The horsepower and torque gains you experience are dependent upon the amount of modifications that have been done. I make no specific claims of gains, these are purely speculative. No modifications are necessary for a mild performance gain on a bone stock motor. Any performance modifications you have will enhance the gains you will experience with the chip. I would recommend an intake of some sort (CAI or SRI) to experience the full effects of the chip - around a 3-5HP gain. With a free flowing intake and exhaust you could expect to receive a 5-10 HP gain. I would estimate a 10-15HP gain with intake, port and polish, headers and exhaust. Again, these numbers are purely speculative.

What are the requirements for using a chipped ECU in my car?

Your motor should be in good tune and healthy. A chipped ECU will not *fix* any problems you are currently having. Any issues that cause the check engine light to illuminate should be repaired before installing the ECU. I recommend a full tune up, spark plugs, PCV Valve, fuel and air filters, and adding a quality fuel injection system cleaner to the gas tank.

As stated in the owner’s manual, and next to the fuel gauge, premium gasoline (91 or better octane R+M/2) only should be used. No damage will be done with the occasional usage of low grade gasoline, due to the engine’s dual knock sensors, but performance may be degraded. I recommend the use of 91 gas at _ALL_ times with the Stage 3 chips.

How will my gas mileage be affected?

Your gas mileage should remain the same as it was before. With the added power of the sr5guy chip you may find yourself driving more aggressively and pulling hole shots to impress your neighbors – obviously you’ll increase your fuel consumption . The stock fuel maps are not modified in any way.

How will my emissions be affected?
Many members have passed emissions (even in California) with no problem with the sr5guy chip installed. Increased ignition timing can cause higher oxides of nitrogen (NOx) but it is unlikely for you to fail emissions if your EGR system is working properly. If you are concerned about failing emmisions you can install a dual program chip with an external switch. Simply flick the switch and your ECU will be returned to the factory state. Also note that your factory chip is included with your order and you can manually change it.

What are the risks of using a chipped ECU?

The risks with a tuned ignition map on the Legend are almost non-existent due to the Legend’s usage of dual knock sensors. If the timing is too far advanced because of the conditions (bad gas, hot weather, A/C, pulling a large load) to the point where there is detonation (pinging), the knock sensors and circuitry inside of the ECU automatically retard the timing to a safe value.

On the other hand, there are risks involved with raising the rev limiter. Let’s explain the difference between the red line and fuel cutoff. The red line is the highest RPM recommended by the manufacturer. The fuel cutoff is where the fuel is automatically cut by the ECU to prevent damage from excessive engine speed. I do not recommend raising the rev limiter on either motor beyond a few hundred RPM. Taking this into account, the rev limiter can be set to whatever you specify.

Type I motor:
Stock red line: 6250RPM
Stock fuel cut: 6500RPM

Type II motor:
Stock red line: 6700RPM
Stock fuel cut: 6900RPM

I already have a Telion chipped ECU and would like to try your chip.

If your ECU has already been chipped and a socket has been installed in the ECU I can sell you the chip alone for $25.00 shipped. All I need is the part number of the socketed ECU. The chip is easy to install, once the ECU is removed all that is required is a phillips screwdriver and flat, thin metal tool to remove the chip (I suggest using a bent butter knife).

Do you offer free updates?
Updates are unnecessary when purchasing the Sr5guy chips. I do not use my customers cars as guinea pigs! My chips are based on the bayou/dinan programming and they have over 10 years of proven performance and reliability. There is no reason to fix whats not broken so no updates are necessary or planned. If you find that a particular chip does not meet your needs or you would like to try a different stage you can send your chip in for free reprogramming. Just pay return shipping.

What is involved in the chipping process?

All stock Legend ECU’s are equipped with a ROM chip that is permanently soldered onto the board. This chip is safely removed by my unique method and a high quality machined (colleted pin) socket is installed and soldered in its place. This socket allows the chip to be inserted and removed easily. The stock ROM chip that was removed is read onto my PC and saved to a file. The performance maps are saved into this file. The updated file is then programmed onto a high quality ST Micro Electronics EEPROM chip. If there is updated programming available for your ECU, then the latest version of programming is loaded.

I test all ECUs for proper operation and performance in my personal vehicle, before and after chipping.

The stock chip is returned to you in an anti-static package along with your chipped ECU.

There are 8 different ECUs used in the Legend. I need to know which one you have!

1991-1992, Type I, Automatic
1991-1992, Type I, Manual 5spd
1993-1995, Type I, Automatic
1993-1994, Type I, Manual 5spd
1993-1995, Type II, Automatic without TCS
1993-1995, Type II, Automatic with TCS
1993-1995, Type II, Manual 6spd without TCS
1993-1995, Type II, Manual 6spd with TCS

What type of warranty do you offer?

I warranty all work on the ECU for the lifetime of the car. Should you have a problem with the ECU related to chipping, contact me directly. I will work with you to get the issue repaired, be it by exchange or refund.

Feedback and Reviews:

Check my iTrader feedback rating here: The Acura Legend & Acura RL Forum - iTrader - sr5guy

Who has purchased an sr5guy ECU?

91LS3.5 (Bentleyondubs Thanks Corrie!)
Alperovich (Thanks Alex!)
Bboarder711 (Thanks Rich!)
Blackend (Thanks Brian!)
blkonblkcpe (Thanks John!)
bryanosaur (Thanks Bryan!)
Cen2mental95 (Thanks Heath! Both Cars!)
Cdubb1 (Thanks Chris!)
Divinchi (Thanks Enrique! Both Cars!)
Dreams94coup (Thanks Jereme!)
Edify (Thanks Ed!)
emaculate94GS (Thanks Sean!)
Forevralegend (Thanks Eric!)
GrtOutdoorsAZ
Kenso (Thanks Ken!)
kotetu (Thanks Aaron!)
LegendGS (Thanks Graeme!)
lgnd (First one to Europe!)
m3456y (Thanks Mark!)
Misdeismo (Thanks Kennedy)
mrkeith (Thanks Keith!)
Nino418 (Thanks Tom!)
Soulman
swift (Thanks Ben!)
TeamLR (Thanks Chris!)
Tofusensei (Thanks Brandon!)
theGodfather
TheQuestion32 (Thanks Aaron!)
WhyteLegend (Thanks Chris and your brother too!)
xkazman
Zube25

Why purchase from me?

I have done an incredible amount of research and development on the operation and understanding of how the Legend’s stock ECU operates. As an open source project, any new advancements or discoveries that are made are posted on this board in the engine performance section. My ultimate goal is real time modification with full data logging so that higher levels of modification (ie: camshafts, higher compression, forced induction, etc) can be fully supported. Some of the profits made by chipping ECU's will go towards research and development and the equipment needed to continue with this project and develop better performing chips.

In the past, I have identified problems others had completely overlooked. I identified the checksum correction issue which caused problems with the Traction Control system (TCS). I collaborated with other members on this forum and we did the work necessary to repair it. Others had purposely deceived by loading stock programming back into the chip. Major Problems found with the Bayou chip, M/T Only - The Acura Legend & Acura RL Forum

I consider myself a professional, friendly person to do business with. I strive for your satisfaction and positive feedback. I will do whatever it takes to make you a satisfied customer.

Optional Core Exchange Program:

Most people use their Legend as their daily driver and therefore cannot remove and send in their ECU and wait for it to be chipped. I keep an inventory of various ECU’s that are pre-socketed and ready to chip and ship. Contact me directly to see if I have your ECU in stock.

To use this service you must pay for the chipping service and include a core deposit in your payment. This core deposit is $50 for Type I ECU’s and $75 for Type II ECU’s.

A pre-chipped ECU is shipped priority mail to your door. You have up to 2 weeks to install the ECU and return the core. The ECU you return must be in good working condition and be the same style as the one you ordered. When the core ECU is returned, your deposit will be refunded.

Type of chips available

Type I:

Type I, Stage 2: Compare to the Bayou Chip. Recommended for most applications. 6700 Rev limiter
Type I, Stage 3: Compare to the Bayou Chip. Recommended for engines with higher modifications. Use 93 octane for full benefits. 6900 Rev limiter
Type I, JDM/Spoon: Recommended for most applications, better gains than Stage 2 but at the expense of slightly worse MPG. 6700 Rev limiter

Type II:

Type II, Stage 2: Compare to the Bayou Chip. Recommended for most applications. 7200 Rev Limiter
Type II, Stage 3: Compare to the Bayou Chip. Recommended for engines with higher modifications. Use 93 octane for full benefits. 7400 Rev Limiter

Other Options:

Convert your automatic transmission ECU into a standard transmission ECU
Convert your California emissions ECU into federal (49state) emissions or Vice-Versa
Install a ZIF Socket for easy chip removal and installation
Install a dual program adapter chip to use two programs on one chip with an external switch – for instance a stock and modified chip, stage 2 and stage 3, or a specialize NOS tuned chip, contact me directly for more information

Payment & Shipping

I accept PayPal payments. I also accept US Post Office money orders. Contact me for the shipping address.

If I have your core ECU in stock they usually go out within 1-2 business days. I ship using USPS priority mail. I can offer overnight express service also, but you must contact me for availability and a quote.

How much does it cost?

1. If you send in your ECU (either an appropriate spare or your primary ECU) to be chipped it costs:
+ $75.00 – Chipping service – includes services stated in “Chipping Process” above
+ $15.00 – Return USPS Priority Shipping
-----------
= $90.00 Total

2. I have a Type I Legend and would like to use the core exchange program:
+ $75.00 – Chipping service – includes services stated in “Chipping Process” above
+ $50.00 - Core deposit (this is refunded when I receive your old ECU back)
-----------
= $135.00 Subtotal
- $50.00 Core deposit refund when I receive your old ECU back
-----------
= $90.00 Total

3. I have a Type II Legend and would like to use the core exchange program:
+ $75.00 - Core deposit (this is refunded when I receive your old ECU back)
-----------
= $165.00 Subtotal
- $75.00 Core deposit refund when I receive your old ECU back
-----------
= $90.00 Total

Other Options:

$25.00 - Chip alone (includes shipping). Use this option if your ECU has already been chipped and you just want the chip alone.

$20.00 – High Quality AMP Low Profile ZIF Socket

$50.00 – Dual programs on one chip with external switch (please PM for more information)

Last edited by sr5guy; 12-22-08 at 01:03 AM.
sr5guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-21-08, 07:31 PM   #2 (permalink)
-X-
Una Leyenda

Car 1: 95 Legend GS MAX

iTrader Score: 14 reviews
Send a message via AIM to -X-
yes!!!!!, when can i leave my legend over your way and get the ECU right in the package =)?
Old 12-21-08, 07:45 PM   #3 (permalink)
One Meeelion HP

Quote:
Originally Posted by X Cuts View Post
yes!!!!!, when can i leave my legend over your way and get the ECU right in the package =)?
See "Optional Core Return Program" above for an explanation - its almost the same as when you buy a part from autozone or advanced you are charged a deposit and when you return your old part you are given a refund.

You can come up to get a chip in person any time. When are you planning on making your way up here? I have a free bay in the garage but that might not last long

-Matt

Old 12-21-08, 09:48 PM   #4 (permalink)
Why did the chicken cross the road? Champion, Six Feet Under Champion

Car 1: 1992 Acura Legend LS Coupe 5 speed MT 3.5 hybrid

iTrader Score: 5 reviews
Send a message via AIM to nino418
Nice too see that your selling the chips again! Thanks again for chipping mine! i was way more than satisfied with the results, i was AMAZED!!!
Definately one of the best performance mods for any Legend. (makes a great gift too.. )
nino418 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-08, 09:52 PM   #5 (permalink)

Car 1: CL-S (Daily Driver)
Car 2: ObsidianBlack KA8

iTrader Score: 6 reviews
Send a message via ICQ to Socol
Are you willing to sell a chipped ECU if someone wants to keep their original ECU "just in case"; if so how much (TYPE II ECU)? Which chip variation will work best for a slightly modified (full exhaust, TYPE II intake manifold) 3.5?

Socol's Basic Website
Socol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-08, 09:57 PM   #6 (permalink)
Why did the chicken cross the road? Champion, Six Feet Under Champion

Car 1: 1992 Acura Legend LS Coupe 5 speed MT 3.5 hybrid

Send a message via AIM to nino418
Quote:
Originally Posted by Socol View Post
Are you willing to sell a chipped ECU if someone wants to keep their original ECU "just in case"; if so how much (TYPE II ECU)? Which chip variation will work best for a slightly modified (full exhaust, TYPE II intake manifold) 3.5?
The answer to the first question is:yes. I would pm him, but i imagine it will be like paying the core charge on the ECU, but not having it refunded

i would also include about the 3.5 chip info. he does have a chip to use for the swapped legends.
nino418 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-08, 10:00 PM   #7 (permalink)
One Meeelion HP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Socol View Post
Do you need one with TCS or without? Automatic or manual?

-Matt

Old 12-21-08, 10:29 PM   #8 (permalink)
Leaving the lights on

Car 1: 1988 Acura Legend L Automatic

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Is this available for 1st gen legends?
Goatman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-08, 11:37 PM   #9 (permalink)
95LegendGS

To much to read, but do you have a chip for 3.5 guys? Or are yours just using a type 1 and modding it? You can see from my sig I would need something custom so I was wondering if you had something.
Old 12-22-08, 12:24 AM   #10 (permalink)
93 LEGEND LS 3.5L

Car 1: 93' Metalic Gold LS 3.5L Sedan
Car 2: 95' Red LS Coupe

iTrader Score: 10 reviews
Send a message via AIM to divinchi Send a message via Yahoo to divinchi
Too much to read? He can make a chipped one for the 3.5 guys as I am one of them.... Reading can avoid repeating of things already answered my friend....

This is the best chip that I have ever used, I have one for my 3.5L Legend, and one for my Type 2 Coupe..... All that I can say is that he is selling this chip for tooooooo little money.... When it comes to the amount of GAS you will be saving money on, you will be thanking him alot....
Remus Exhaust/Catback/Webcams
OBX Racing Headers/Secret Weapon R Intake
Addco Sway bars
JDM Headlights/8000K H.I.D's
Infinity Kappa's
Brembo Slotted Rotors/GR BrakeLines
95LS Coupe Cherry
SR5Guy Chipped-Secret Weapon R Intake
KMS Bar-JDM Headlights-Remus EX
Premium R1 Concept Rotors/GR BrakeLines Infinity Kappa-Addco Sway Bars
JDM Folding Mirrors, JDM Alpha Touring Grill
divinchi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-08, 12:29 AM   #11 (permalink)
95LegendGS

3.5 chip is the easiest of my concerns I also need one for boosted applications.
Old 12-22-08, 12:45 AM   #12 (permalink)
Type II King

Car 1: 94 Legend Gs type II

iTrader Score: 11 reviews
This is the BEST bang for the buck for any legend owner! This chip significantly increases power across the band while keeping stock fuel economy. I have had an sr5guy chip for a few years now and I am 100% satisfied with it. It increased the responsiveness of my engine and made it pull a little harder through out the whole power band. These chips are dyno proven to show significant hp and tq gains! No ebay scams here. Good luck with your sales Matt!
2.5" mandrel exhaust, deleted cat, cold air intake, web cam regrinds, comp cam valve springs, port & polish heads and manifold, tb bypass, egr block, five speed clutch/flywheel, 80a polyurethane mounts all around, type 1 pulley, headers,re-fabed y-pipe, SR5guy Custom Chip, 6speed swap, safc II, strut bar, F/R sway bars, FL tie bars, ksports,tune
243.3 hp 197.7 ftlb N/A dynapack before manual swap
232.8 hp 204.0 ftlb N/A dynojet 10/19/07
13.737 1/4 mile @ 100.207 mph & 2.012 60' NA
Forevralegend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-08, 12:57 AM   #13 (permalink)
The Infamous Left Lane

Car 1: Acura Legend L 91
Car 2: Rebellion

iTrader Score: 12 reviews
yes this is great can't wait to buy one... wonder if i will be the first one to have both a Telion chip and an Sr5guy chip?
DandDEE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-08, 01:15 AM   #14 (permalink)
ON DAT WAVE

Car 1: 92 Acura Legend LuxuryPerformanceSedan
Car 2: 97 BMW 528I
Car 3: 99 Montero Sport

iTrader Score: 6 reviews
ill def be lookin to purchase another chip soon once i buy a new ecu
Team LR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-08, 01:43 AM   #15 (permalink)
C.K. Enforcer

Car 1: 95 L Coupe
Car 2: 98 Expedition 4x4
Car 3: 07 Camry XLE

Send a message via Yahoo to Biggg72
my question would be, what do you exactly mean by higher modifications for the stage 3? what as a minimum are you recommending? and send in an ecu to be chipped= $90 shipped?

Type II:

Type II, Stage 2: Compare to the Bayou Chip. Recommended for most applications. 7200 Rev Limiter
Type II, Stage 3: Compare to the Bayou Chip. Recommended for engines with higher modifications. Use 93 octane for full benefits. 7400 Rev Limiter
Biggg72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

The Acura Legend & Acura RL Forum > The Marketplace > Aftermarket Parts