Acura Legend Forum banner

Professional Windshield Repair...Who has done it?

2K views 11 replies 7 participants last post by  Antares 
#1 ·
I have a small star in my front windshield, its about the size of a dime and i had heard about companies the can repair these things insead of having the the whole windshield replaced. I was wondering if anyone has had this done at let me know hhow well it works before i decide to do it.

#2 ·
They drill two small holes at the ends of a small crack, then fill the holes. Sounds like you may need a few holes drilled. This is supposed to stop the crack from getting bigger. My insurance company gave me the option of the drill repair or new windshield with the understanding that if the crack got bigger, they would still replace the windshield. The drill repair doesn't hide the crack and the crack started to get bigger after a while. I got a new windshield a few years later.

#4 ·
There is a windshield repair shop beside my workshop I discussed some options with the owner, my coupe has broken windshield and my previous one has a road chip.
Your "crack" is too big for repair you should replace the windshield. That's my opinion. if the crack is not disturbing you during driving you can postpone the replacement. My crack is at the lowest part of the windshield it's barely visible but it's there so I wait with the replacement.

#5 ·
I think what im talking about should be called a road chip. it looks like the result of a rock hitting the windshield on the highway. like i said its about the size of a dime maybe small if anything. It didnt even crack all the way through the glass it just starred outward. If you think that still requires seplacment over repair then ill save my money. Repair just seemed so much easier and cheaper than replacement but i want to do it right.

#9 ·
i actually just got my windshield replaced today due to a small crack where the windshield wiper sits and it bothered me....

they charged me $125 installed for a bronze tinted with blue shade PPG glass... i find that price pretty decent than to repair it not knowing when it might crack again.

#11 ·
they charged me $125 installed for a bronze tinted with blue shade PPG glass... i find that price pretty decent than to repair it not knowing when it might crack again.
$125 IS a good price....that's the lowest I've ever heard. When I bought my '94, it needed a new windshield and since insurance wasnt covering it, I shopped around for a while.

BUT...what happens when you drive 50 miles and get a rock chip? they're unavoidable, so IMO, if it aint major, get it filled and keep on truckin

oh and I have had a spider crack get big...granted one of the spider's 'legs' was a little longer than the rest, so it wasnt a perfect star. but that long leg on my spider crack went running and got at least 3 times as big after I waited too long

Hey thanks chris. Now thats what i wanted to hear. well then ill deinatly do it. like i said its small. good though, i glad to hear the repair has been a success on numerous occasions. Thanks to the other guys too, i guess i wasnt clear enough the first time. By the way hows AZ, chris? ill be back on august 10th.
AZ's great Ethan, I'm seeing more AZ owners on here too. Monsoon's on us now though - it's been humid as a mofo....we'll def have to do a big meet in August!

#10 ·
Done it several times.
The patch of freeway I frequently drive on (I-80) is full of trucks constantly and it's not swept very often so rock chips happen somewhat regularly.
I found a place that does it for $10, they don't usually drill holes, they just put the glue in somehow with suction or heat or both.
Never had a problem with the repairs since.
But yeah, get it done soon, don't wait.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.