install pics!! - Page 2 - The Acura Legend & Acura RL Forum
Acura Legend Forum Acura Legend Forum

Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   The Acura Legend & Acura RL Forum > Shop Talk > Audio, Video, & Electronics

Audio, Video, & Electronics Discussions about Car audio and electronics.

Acura-Legend.com is the premier Acura Legend Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-05-07, 03:59 AM   #16 (permalink)

Car 1: 1995 Acura Legend L

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Send a message via MSN to importenthusiast
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alperovich View Post
i would rerun the wiring, its easy. just removed the plastic piece above the door sill and you should have enough room to raise the carpet just enough to slide the wiring thru and htere is a spot by the under the seat that has a opening for the wiring from the seat control, or if its L, which now i see it is, there just should be a opening in the carpet.

personally, i think your speakers in the door wells are too intrusive. i would have to have something RIGHT tehre. not just b/c my car is a stick and the it woud cover my clutch, even if it was auto, thats way too far into the my left foot space, and looks worse installed then what he has. LOL. i do like the sub box, but i see u like to rattle your trunk lid. i used to have my typeR's facing that way, the truck rattled like a bitch. i faced them inward towards the car, and there isn't a single rattle in the body and the subs sound way cleaner coming into the cabin directly.

technically, you can't see the sub box. You can see a trim panel covering the box. There are ways to change the cleanliness of the sub besides pointing them into you seats, which is not directly into the cabin, it's through your seats. Also, did you try different distances between the box and the trunk lid? Did you try phasing the woofers out? You'd be surprised. About 1 in 12 woofers can sound cleaner by putting them out of phase. The box has a bit to do with cleanliness. I had my w7 in my EG in a sealed box and hit 143db. The same reading my friends Stratus hit with two TypeR 12's in a ported box. The sealed box was louder, but my ported box is cleaner. Getting an EQ for your sub-bass frequencies would help as well.

But, I'm a JL guy, and don't really like TypeR's at all. I could be wrong.
importenthusiast is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-07-07, 08:19 PM   #17 (permalink)

Car 1: 1992 Acura Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alperovich View Post
i would rerun the wiring, its easy. just removed the plastic piece above the door sill and you should have enough room to raise the carpet just enough to slide the wiring thru and htere is a spot by the under the seat that has a opening for the wiring from the seat control, or if its L, which now i see it is, there just should be a opening in the carpet.

personally, i think your speakers in the door wells are too intrusive. i would have to have something RIGHT tehre. not just b/c my car is a stick and the it woud cover my clutch, even if it was auto, thats way too far into the my left foot space, and looks worse installed then what he has. LOL. i do like the sub box, but i see u like to rattle your trunk lid. i used to have my typeR's facing that way, the truck rattled like a bitch. i faced them inward towards the car, and there isn't a single rattle in the body and the subs sound way cleaner coming into the cabin directly.
What's funny is my RE8's are facing away from the cabin and I hardly have any rattle at all, even with them turned all the way up. And there are people to verify that they pound like crazy. You can barely hear them from the outside but once inside the car they are loud.
drmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-07, 09:52 PM   #18 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmonkey View Post
What's funny is my RE8's are facing away from the cabin and I hardly have any rattle at all, even with them turned all the way up. And there are people to verify that they pound like crazy. You can barely hear them from the outside but once inside the car they are loud.
Same here, there's little rattle, even all the way up. That's with out any extra sound deadener besides the Honda stuff that's already in the car.
Old 07-09-07, 04:46 PM   #19 (permalink)

Car 1: 1992 Acura Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by importenthusiast View Post
Same here, there's little rattle, even all the way up. That's with out any extra sound deadener besides the Honda stuff that's already in the car.
Yep, I have no sound deadener either. Last night, my friend was checking my stuff out and couldn't believe that two 8's could get that loud on such little power; 250x2 RMS...
drmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-07, 07:42 PM   #20 (permalink)

Car 1: red '94 L coupe

Quote:
maybe should have run the amp wired under the carpet? And how much of that did you buy at WalMart? I assume everything from the beer to the deck and amp. Maybe even the small gauge amp kit. The TypeR's prolly from Best Buy, no? Oh well... I guess you got what you wanted.

Did you look at mine?

pics of my ride
Only the wiring harness for the HU (the one at circuit city was $20 , walmart: $5 ) and the cooler. The Type-R's from woofersetc.com IIRC.

The wiring kit was assembled from many previous installs. The fuse holder is knukonseptz (if your familiar) and the rest I just found in around the garage.

Yeah, the wires could go under the carpet, but they're perfectly fine they way they are now. They're not going to move around and they're totally out of view.

EDIT:
After viewing your system - nice, but did you install it yourself?
Old 07-22-07, 11:34 PM   #21 (permalink)

I did the head unit. I didn't do the install on this car. But I have worked at the shop that did it. I've done several installs on several cars. I used to do this for a living, so you know.

The guy I had do the kicks has competed in the installers challenge at SEMA and his team has won every year he's competed. He knows what he's doing, too.

At the time, I had the money, and not the time. Next car I get I'm doing myself cuz I'll have time, but not the money. I still get my materials at cost, so the stuff is still a decent price, and if I do the install, labor is free.

I think I have a picture up of my Lancer on here somewhere. I did that install while I was working at Good Vibrations. 7" flip out monitor, fiberglassed a DVD player in to the coin pocket, components in the doors, coax's in the rear fill, amped components, 3 10" aluminum cone woofers, memphis PR1000 for the woofer, Stinger cap for power. Did the box, trunk all by myself, along with everything else in the car.

The insallation process is time consuming, not hard if you do it right the first time. I'm in Wichita, if you need help, or consult with anything, lemme know.
Old 07-24-07, 06:17 AM   #22 (permalink)

Car 1: Acura Legend 1993 LS

Quote:
It also appears that one of his tweeters are mounted a tad overlapping his door handle trim, and the other is not. Maybe it's the photography. Sorry about the WalMart comment. After being in the car audio game for so long... it's hard to take "roachy" installs seriously. I suppose a Schoche amp kit is a Schoche amp kit, regardless of where it's bought, as is a Pioneer deck or Jensen amp. Not to mention it took him 2 days. And he brags about a 900 watt RMS system in his previous ride.

Anyway, to each his own, and I owe him some respect for DIY. I gotta give some props to the Wichita folks.
are you actually serious? you insult someone again in the same paragraph as an apology?

1. the tweeter looks fine (i dont see a bad overlap)
2. schoche copper wire is the same as any other copper wire from any brand
3. pioneer has made some of the best hu's ever (ever hear of the odr series?)
4. i can tell its a soundstream rubicon amp from the photo...so you obviously do not know your amp history.

you said:
"unlike the door mounted tweeters, where the higher frequencies meet your ear much sooner than what your woofer of the component set is getting there"

read this and tell me what you think? (first page should suffice)
http://www.diymobileaudio.com/forum/...ead.php?t=5664

also said this:
"If you tied strings to the speaker grills at 90 degree angles, they both point to the head rest of the driver's seat."

it funny how most world champions aim for the center for true sq!

if your going to hand out insults, you better bring your A-game here.
davinci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-07, 07:32 PM   #23 (permalink)

my A game here? This is just an online forum. And it's an acura legend forum to boot. my A game has no need here. Honda-tech, yeah, but not here. The good thing about forums is that it doesn't really matter what you have to say about me. I'm just trying to help out.

Oh, the whole aiming for the center thing, that's for SQ that is measured in the center of the car. I drive in the driver's seat, so for me, that's where I want the sound focused. It's not a competition car, it's what I drove to work... 47 miles one way. That's why it is pointed to me. I used time delay, so it gets to my head at the same time.

The whole insult/apoligy thing is an critique technique. You are never supposed to have only negative things to say. You should either start or end with a positive note, and use constructive critisism, examples, and possible solutions. Also, you should be able to show your own expertise, making you a valid critic. You, however used a link to a thread, and had no positive reinforcement towards either myself, or the OP. You didn't commend on their achievement directly, but negated what I said in order to possibly help the OP out, or give them a different perspective on what they may not have seen/noticed. You mentioned the tweeters, and the brand of amp. That is the only reference to the OP. Not that it was a great amp, or that they placed the tweeters in a really good spot. You mainly focused on my input.

I'm sure the OP can stick up for themselves, if they feel the need. Hopefully, the OP sees that I was only trying to help, or give insight with my comments. Sorry that I have offended you by commenting on a public forum.

Also, I apoligise to the original poster. This little rant doesn't help your original post much.
Old 07-26-07, 08:03 PM   #24 (permalink)

I read the first 6 pages. I agree with everything they said. However, I'm not trying to compete with my car. If I was, I would have used the mirror/lazer method to determine my sound stage. I wanted a nice reproduction of sound that wouldn't break the bank.

I think I missed the point of you posting that for me to read. I already know that stuff. Just cuz I didn't do it to my car doesn't mean I don't know it. Maybe it would be good for the OP to read.
Old 11-28-12, 12:28 PM   #25 (permalink)

Car 1: red '94 L coupe

Many years later....

Hey all! It's been many years sense I installed this system, and a few things have stood the test of time and a few have not. Here they are:

1. The wires under the floor mat a few where worried about, well they've held up perfectly fine.

2. The amp (Soundstream Rubicon, FYI, props to davinci for recognising it) has been a great amp and is still going strong. It did overheat once and turned itself off, it was a hot summer day driving on the highway with the volume turned to max. After that I turned it around so the cooling fins would get more breeze and I haven't had that problem again.

3. The Pioneer head unit is going bad. It still works but barely. I was many years old before I even installed it in this car, it could be 8 years old by now.

4. The Alpine speakers till sound good. In the back I have Alpine Type-S coaxial 6x9s, bought used from my brother and one had a broken cone that I repaired with fiberglass. Some times those rattle badly and not sure if I just need to replace them or if the rear dashboard is just prone to rattles.

5. importenthusiast: you're right, the passanger side tweet does slighly overlap the door-handle-pod-thing and I didn't do as good a job on that side as I did the driver's side. But you can hardly tell (good eye, btw) and I'm still pretty proud of how they look and sound.

But over all it still sounds good!

A word on the argument between davinci and importenthusiast: you're both right so just quit arguing.

The Acura Legend & Acura RL Forum > Shop Talk > Audio, Video, & Electronics