Acura Legend Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay I just dropped a new engine in my 91 legend ls. Before Jumping the gun. My name is Earl I'm new to this forum, I was following the legend.org forum for a while and am looking forward to sharing ideas, going in on group buys, etc with all of you.
Okay, I bought this car with 91000 miles on the tact back in november for $5500.00. I thought this was a great buy. Come to find out on a carfax report this car has over 200000 miles.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Okay I just dropped a new engine in my 91 legend ls. Before Jumping the gun. My name is Earl I'm new to this forum, I was following the legend.org forum for a while and am looking forward to sharing ideas, going in on group buys, etc with all of you.
Okay, I bought this car with 91000 miles on the tack back in Octoberfor $5500.00. I thought this was a great buy. Come to find out on a carfax report this car has over 200000 miles. Now I live in the Quad Cities area--Border of Iowa and Illinois and the race track was closed then. I recently put a used engine in that was japan direct--www.usedengines.com. I ran it out at cordova and this is what I me up with
60' 2.593 seconds
330 6.954
1/8 10.466 at 70.81 mph
1000 13.473
and Finally
1/4 mile time 15.879 @89.70 MPH??
This Freakin sucks. Of course this is completely stock w/ Bosch Platinum Plugs, and a factory air filter.
I'm sorry not to knock the legend but this doesn't seem very good for a 200 HP engine. Seeing I had a 93 Cobra 302 in the past and ran it high 13's with only 230 something stock I think. The only things i had done to it was a H pipe Flow-tech exhaust, k&n Filter, short throw shifter, and a Msd ignition Coil. oh and 8.8 MM spark plug Wires.
Why the huge difference in Q/M times? Is my idle to low at 1100 RPMS? Could a very very small exhaust leak cause this? Or is this the typical stock time for a type I engine?
Thanks for your response.

·
Registered
4,657 Posts
The cobra is a sports car...it has a lot of torque, and is probably a lot lighter. You have a TypeI Engine...I'm not sure of the 0-60 and 1/4 on that. A TypeII 6-speed yields about 0-60 6.7, and probably low 15s (15.1?)

You answered your own question, the cobra is a V8 302! isn't it? You said it has 230HP, I'm guessing it's an older model then. Your Legend engine is a 3.2L V6! That weights probably around 3600 lbs.

Does your Legend handle better than the old cobra? Is it more responsive at the high end? Did it have the same luxury features and look? They are in totally different categories...

If all you want is power @ low price, maybe you should've got a 5.0L Mustang. I seem them a lot for 2-4k. You might even be able to get a 4.6L Stang for 5-7k.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
sorry

sorry ya'll i pressed tab to indent then enter. ignore this. I got thread reposted and complete elsewhere in this forum.
thanks ya'll

·
Registered
4,657 Posts
That said, the Legend isn't the fastest in the world, but I think a non-VTEC V6 with 230HP is actually something for the early to mid 90s. (hehe the V6 Stangs had 145HP V6 back then). If you have the $$$ you can always modify the Legend, squeeze every HP out of that engine. Stuff is always being worked on, but of course, $$$ is always the main issue.

·
Junior Mint
629 Posts
These times are not bad for a stock Type I.

Is your car manual/auto sedan/coupe?

·
Registered
3,100 Posts
the legend is for Pimping man. And anyways take that ****stang and the legend out on the highway or a curvy road and see how it comes out. 1/4 times are for American ******* cars i would much rather know a top speed or see how fast it goes through turns. anyone can drive a car down a straight line it takes a real driver to go Highway racing or or a curvy road. And even though the 93 cobra only had 230hp im sure it had alot more torque. The legend wasnt built for speed if u want a car built just for speed and nothing else get a mustang and go in a straight line fast. :)

·
I'van der Rohe
12,803 Posts
w/ a 15.8 your looking at about a ~7.5 0-60. now you just told on yourself because you said the Mus had Hpipes ignition and somo' sh*t. that will boost the power nicely and if this is ~230 at the whels than thats like almost 300 at the crank. now to compare a 32-3400lb 230+ hp modified sports/muscle car to a 200 hp 35-3600lb luxury sports car thats bone stock is a little weak. 15.8 is nice for the legend especially for an auto. FutureX 2001 the legend has a 3.2 no dsrspct. but everybody is jive right, torque is a key player seeing as how it gets the car moving. those damn american torque monsters:D

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Re: American ******* Car

Yeah This car handles pretty pretty good. It seems pretty relaible. It has a little rust I was planning on getting fixed. Does $3000 seem expensive for 2 two inch rust holes, about 8 or 9 rust spot repairs and a paint job?
By the way its a 91 Legend Coupe
Also I'm buying NGK Platinum Plugs from the import store and am going out to Cordova in a few weeks I'll let you know on the improvements(if any).

·
Registered
109 Posts
FutureX 2001 said:
Oh, I thought the 5.0L was 215-225HP?

Didn't know it was a 302 :D
When I hear 302, I was thinking 60s Mustang, hehe
One thing we should all remember, firstly is that for the price you pay (speaking new cars here) the Mustang is a pile of cow dung for what you're getting, and two like everyone has said above, the Legend is for luxury, the Mustang is for performance....lets see you pack the family and take a cross country trip (in comfort I might add) in the Mustang hahaha

Also, a question for everyone....why is it that everyone says the Maxima's motor is in the top 10 of the worlds best V6's (the 3.0 is the one Im talkin bout), I've never heard anyone say if the Type I & II motors are in that same top 10, which in my opinion they should be....anyone know the answer????

1 - 16 of 16 Posts