Acura Legend Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
4,036 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is the most glorious feeling I have ever felt in my 6speed.
I never drive that fast, and when I *DO*, it's usually in 5th gear, but today, while driving in to work, I was going down an incline , it was a highway, and I was going 100-105 in 6th gear, and it was around like 2900-3200 rpms, I wasnt checking it too much.

It just felt so great. It's not a power gear , but the car just felt SO SMOOTH and so stable.

:)

·
Registered
4,036 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Roger said:
only 100 **** i get that feeling when im going 135
You can't do 135 in the Northern VA area. Too many dumb drivers that like to get in the left lane while going 60 for no apparent reason.

·
Registered
273 Posts
i just got my 6spd legend last week, and i learned how to drive stick last week also...so help me out on this...

if i want to go faster, i just downshift? for example, let's say i'm cruising in 6th at 70mph, and a rice rocket cruises by. if i want to catch him, i should downshift to 5? or 4th? is it possible to downshift from 6th to 4th or wil this mess up the engine?

why is the 6th gear not a power gear? which one is?

thanks

·
GS Hog
7,026 Posts
What I usually do when I have to accellerate while in 6th is to rev match into 5th, and then 4th. I'm not brave enough to go straight into 4th. :p

Technically though, you can actually drop as far as 3rd at 70 mph and still not hit redline. According to the manual 3rd maxes out at 94 mph. That said, I've never attempted it. :D

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
I'd double clutch into 3rd, use up that upper power band (that's where the juice is) and then power shift into 4th.

6th gear is not a "power gear". It acts as an over-drive gear for when you're cruising and you want to run low rpm for smoothness and fuel efficiency. You can actually *almost* top the car out in 5th. I have never hit rev-limiter in 5th, but I've taken it past redline to where the power curve drops so I popped it into 6th.

And I agree jose, it is sweet cruisin in 6th :D

G

·
Registered
143 Posts
downshifting

you can definately shift out of sequence!

back in the days of my miata (yea yea..) in my hometown, the cops were bad, but to race, i would gun through 1st and 2nd, but then i'd be at the speed limit, so straight to fourth...

on the interstate, however, a quick shift from 5th to 3rd never did any harm.

as far as i know, the only thing that can really beat up the car at highway accelerations is if you drop it from... say 6th (i dont have a 6spd -sigh- so i'm only going off of estimates) to 4th, and just drop the clutch, with no gas assist. (and you have to do this A LOT) - but it will really just result in beating up your drivetrain more than anything.

but, if/when you do encounter the ricers, i would just ride 4th out. by then you'll be ~125mph, if the ricer's still after you, he's likely maxing out, and you have 2 gears left :D

·
Registered
273 Posts
sorry for my stupidity, but can you guys explain a few of these terms... I'm new to stick shift driving!

rev match into 5th
double clutch into 3rd
say 6th to 4th, and just drop the clutch, with no gas assist.
thanks

·
GS Hog
7,026 Posts
and lamalama dingdong into reverse...

Rev matching is basically blipping the throttle to match the RPMs at which the engine would be at the same given speed in the lower gear while changing gears.

So, it's like say you want to drop from 5th to 4th while travelling at 60, you blip the throttle a little to raise the RPMs (while the clutch is in of course) to where it would be if you're travelling at 60 mph in 4th, get it in 4th, and release the clutch.

Double clutching is just that. You clutch once and shift out of gear, rev it, and clutch again to shift into the lower gear.

This may help (just found it) :)

http://integra.vtec.net/driving/dclutch.html

·
0000$$$$0000####0000
4,926 Posts
As I understand it, double clutching newer cars with syncos is useless UNLESS your car gear is hard to engage. As I understand it, you are wearing the syncros even if you double clutch, so you are actually wearing it 2X as you prss the clutch twice. It is the rev matching that would help reduce wear on the syncros. I only double clutch into first when slowing to a stop sign.

·
Registered
3,214 Posts
Roger said:
only 100 **** i get that feeling when im going 135
Yo Roger we're talkin 6 gears here!!! Is your '95 GS a 6 Speed? If so mad props to'ya, u'da man!! That's my dream car because so few were made.

One...

Fut :cool:

p.s. Not tryin to shi'ott on'ya GS if it's a auto. The pics of it are hiz'ott!!!

·
Registered
3,214 Posts
Roger said:
no six speed here i was just saying my car felt smooth and steady at 135
Tru'dat!!!! Just checkin'. Didn't want one to slip by me. So to date no one on this forum owns or has seen a '95 GS 6 Speed, right?

One...

Fut :cool:

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
ChrisK said:
As I understand it, double clutching newer cars with syncos is useless UNLESS your car gear is hard to engage. As I understand it, you are wearing the syncros even if you double clutch, so you are actually wearing it 2X as you prss the clutch twice. It is the rev matching that would help reduce wear on the syncros. I only double clutch into first when slowing to a stop sign.
You are half right there. With syncros, no.. you do not have to double clutch as they do the same thing as double clutching in respect to spinning up the layshaft.

But doing double-clutching will make LESS stress on your syncros, and if you are perfect at double-clutching, your syncros won't even be used at all. This will pro-long the life of your syncros.

Here's a quote from a technical article that I found that explains this:

"Does double-clutching do any good if you have a synchromesh box? Yes, it makes the synchros work less hard than they were designed to, so they will last longer. The synchros will make up for any errors. "

From the following article:

http://integra.vtec.net/driving/dclutch.html

I seem to have a slight problem with my syncros going into second gear, especially in colder weather I have a hard time getting the shifter into the 2nd gear position when downshifting. Double-clutching allows me to do this easily. I think I need to change my tranny fluid, perhaps use some Redline MT90.. I only have standard motor oil in there.

Double-clutching is also a good habbit to get into. No matter what car you get into in the future, whether it has syncros or not, you'd have no problem downshifting it successfully.

G

·
Registered
4,036 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Triton3K said:
DAMM ALL OF YOU SIX SPEEDERS. :D :D

LUCKY *******S.

I STILL LOVE ALL OF YOU

:p
You dont love me
Where are my flowers?
Where are my chocolates?

Where are my greeting cards?

·
Registered
143 Posts
xplaining

well, perhaps it's a skosh late but...

say 6th to 4th, and just drop the clutch, with no gas assist.

=

in 6th, put in the clutch, put it into 4th, and let off of the clutch fast. try it at a high speed (<125)... you'll see why it could cause probs ;)

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.