Acura Legend Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
boom? what would i have to get checked out before i could do it? gaskets, etc... ? i just want something small like a 50-shot. i don't even think id go to 75....

·
Registered
1,762 Posts
Why run Nitrous on a family car...? I'm not trying to be insulting, but Legends aren't Hot Rods, and I wish that people would realize that... part of the reasoning behind me buying my Mitsubishi was because I didn't want to destroy my Legend with Nitrous and hard driving... I can slam on my Mitsu all that I want, and it won't break, but if it does, I can buy the parts cheap and replace them myself. The Legend isn't meant to be a sports car, it's meant to be a sport/luxury car that looks nice and lasts a long time with proper care... please don't destroy your car with Nitrous, get a fun/weekend car and drive it instead...

·
88 sleeper
1,159 Posts
95Legend6Spd said:
Why run Nitrous on a family car...? I'm not trying to be insulting, but Legends aren't Hot Rods, and I wish that people would realize that... part of the reasoning behind me buying my Mitsubishi was because I didn't want to destroy my Legend with Nitrous and hard driving... I can slam on my Mitsu all that I want, and it won't break, but if it does, I can buy the parts cheap and replace them myself. The Legend isn't meant to be a sports car, it's meant to be a sport/luxury car that looks nice and lasts a long time with proper care... please don't destroy your car with Nitrous, get a fun/weekend car and drive it instead...
buy a consumer reports, see what rating they gave your mitsubushi engine.

in fact, bring your mitsu over to sacramento, & we can find out how fast it is against a nos'd legend w/149K on the odometer.

·
Registered
4,036 Posts
RICDOGG said:

buy a consumer reports, see what rating they gave your mitsubushi engine.

in fact, bring your mitsu over to sacramento, & we can find out how fast it is against a nos'd legend w/149K on the odometer.
(Instigate) Oh damn, is that a challenge? (/Instigate)

·
Registered
191 Posts
Everyone has a different opinion on what their Legend was made for. I dont think anyone can really catagorize it. If someone wants to make their car fast, go for it. Why is a Legend any less race worthy than some POS civic or integra? Our cars really are the best of all worlds: Stunning good looks, top of the line luxury, and quite a potent powerplant under the hood. I personally have a 75 shot on my baby (110,000K miles) and haven't had a problem yet. Follow your heart and make you Legend whatever you want it to be... After all, you can't be a LEGEND if you're just like everyone else.

-GR

·
Registered
4,106 Posts
I have always considered nitrous to be akin to sauntering down the sidewalk and having a 500 lb gorilla suddenly hit you from behind. Creates increased stress on the internals, and will decrease the life span. JMO.

·
88 sleeper
1,159 Posts
jose3030 said:

(Instigate) Oh damn, is that a challenge? (/Instigate)
Call it what you wish, but his remark was asanine & i took offense to that. If he doesnt like my remark he should retract his previous statement...then i will in turn.

Some people dont have the funds to have a race car & a drift car & an everyday car...as someone else put it... 'i wish people would realize this' & to us who cant afford 3 have to make do with one.

·
Registered
1,762 Posts
Rico -

Sure I'll bring my Mitsu over to Ca... if you wanna pay the shipping (not exactly street legal, can't just drive it)... watch yourself before you step on someone's toes, because if you think that your 149K mile Legend with Nitrous can stand up to a built motor and 20 lbs of boost on a rather large turbo, go ahead and try... but insinuating that I'm someone who has "The Funds" to afford 3 different cars because I have money... that's judging me without knowing me. I'm not saying that you CAN'T run Nitrous on your Legend, but before I even have the thought of doing it, I always think of the numbers of heads I've pulled off of Civics, Eclipses, and the like and see blown headgaskets, burnt pistons, and scorching and detonation problems, and it makes me think twice. The Legend is a great car, and before I decide to put additional stress on mine (My baby), I'll sacrifice my Mitsu Starion (there aren't any Consumer Reports on this car, because it's a nightmare... what's OBD I? OBD II?).

I've been around cars all my life - I don't buy new clothing, I don't eat out, I don't go to movies... I don't do anything but hang out with friends (sometime) and work to afford my cars... My Legend has been the nicest car that I've ever owned... it took me 8 months to find it, and the previous 3 years of saving to buy it. My other two cars were bought for both under $2000 a piece, and built, by me, into the machines that they are now... So please don't judge me, as I know how it is to work hard for something that you want, then to get it and feel like it is the best thing in the world because YOU paid for it and worked for it.

I'm just trying to give honest advice, because I am asked the same question everyday from people whose cars end up either outside my garage in TN or my house in GA with severe problems because of nitrous mismanagement.

Like I said, I'm not trying to get a flame war going here, but there's a simple formula for speed... get a car that's purpose built, or purpose build one yourself. Don't make compromises and don't cut corners or you'll end up in a world of trouble. That's the best advice that I ever gave someone about building a car, and they followed it, and the car came out great.

Anyone on this forum can think what they want, and choose to take my advice or not to take it, but there is a reason that people ask for my advice and bring their cars to me - because they trust me and I don't want to see them upset when something bad happens... that's probably why my buddy is trusting me with his Turbo S2000 buildup - because I've got some experience behind engine building and turbocharging/fuel management... do what you like, but watch what you say, and I'll in turn try to keep comments to myself.

Let's not fight, that's not what this forum is for. Didn't mean to sound brash, but I was asked this same question 3 days ago by a younger guy, and this morning (Sun), I get a phonecall that he is now seeing a milky substance in his oil... I'm not saying that any of you are inexperienced (or that I'm some mastermind) - Look at the wonderful things that DV8's done - but just be careful when you decide to put additional stress on a car with that many miles... just a word of caution from someone who doesn't want to see anyone hurt their Legend...

·
Registered
83 Posts
I don't know about you all but I graduated high school 3 years ago... Let us all just stick to the damned facts and leave our childish opinions to ourselves.... This poor fella just asked if he could use NOS on his motor with 153.XXX and you all have to go blowing smoke up each others a$$es... geez...

I would say that just so long as your car is mechanically sound and you don't plan on using the nos very often then their is probably not going to be any problems at all with it... However, be on the safe side and go get you car's head gaskets and compression checked out...

Hope this helps,
Vito

·
*r**h *eller
1,920 Posts
Be nice guys or I'll lock this baby down.

Before you go with nitrous I would suggest you do a compression and leakdown check on the motor. If you got a weak or leaky cylinder don't do it. You'll only hasten the deterioration.

Be sure to go with a colder plug as recommended in nitrous tuning guides. Since we don't have ignition timing adjustments you can't retard the spark so you'll never be able to safely do a big shot. The biggest street driven shot I've heard of was around 80 by Dv8 (and he has eaten valves and melted plugs).

·
Life Ruiner
4,701 Posts
95Legend6Spd said:
Sorry buddy, but i think we'll do whatever, however, whenever, to a Legend.
Its peoples expressions when they see a 4 door Sport/luxury wannabe hotrod Legend, Blowing past some unasuming WS6 and posting a mid 13 second run that keeps me going!

And if you even think for a minute i cant, Come down to Napa, CA and be my guest.

15.2 W/O NOS
13.6 W NOS

~Hybrid

·
Registered
689 Posts
Chris- i respect you for working your ass off to gain all those cars. i didn't really judge you for it, but it did come off as a little strange before you explained yourself. i'm curious to know, then, what modifications, if any, could/should be done to G1 sedans? Its always nice to hear words of warning from someone who's been there and back.;)

·
Registered
1,762 Posts
Oh, how do I try to end this argument -

DV8 - I've always given you mad props for what you've done - I was there when you swapped out your last motor (I was even there when you got your car painted, although you don't remember me), and I'll never give you dickhead comments on trying to make your ride faster (because of all of the truly impressive work that you've done)

LegendHI - It wasn't you that I was replying to at all, you're ok in my book, as is everyone on this forum, but when RicDogg made that comment about me coming down (over) and racing my Mitsu against his Legend - well, no offense to him, but I'd walk him pretty easily, but if DV8 and I raced, Legend against Mitsu, it'd be a really good race!

Like I said, I'm not trying to get anyone mad at me, nor trying to beat anyone down over what they're doing, but the whole nitrous thing is a really angering topic for me, because of what I deal with everyday here in Savannah and also in TN, so if I come off stern or pushy, I don't mean to, it's just that I hear "My Mechanic says that I have a bad head gasket, you said it'd be ok..." and I reply "No, I said I wouldn't do it, but if you wanted to, I'd run a FPR, S-AFC (or something similar), get a good Nitrous Management brain (or a smart kit), and don't run too much..." then the conversation turns back around into "But I bought the kit, they said I could run a 100-shot on my '92 Civic with 200,000 miles on it... blah blah blah"... see where I'm coming from on this one?

Didn't mean to be brash - and DV8... I may be out in CA (Orange County or around there) this summer, if you'd like to meet up... no hard feelings and I really want to see that Type II and your setup.

Let's end this... I didn't mean to open up a can 'o worms....

·
Registered
191 Posts
Good job guys :) A healthy argument ends in what is probably an even tighter Legend community now. It's nice to see that there's still some sanity in the world and not everything has to turn into a pointless childish name calling match. I respect it :D

-GR

BTW 95Legend, did you ever sell that HDTV you posted? As someone who sells that stuff for a living, I'm curious to see if people can appreciate a good deal when it's right in front of them :D

·
Registered
179 Posts
sh!t. Did I miss the fight!!! :mad:

Just kidding! Hey guys, I've been seriously considering some NOS for my 92 L Sedan. But now, I'm a little scared. What I'd like to see are actual number as they correlate to individual upgrades. For example. I want to see the stock, dynoed HP and then the dynoed hp of just a new dragon intake...

Now that I think about it, this should be a separate thread... Look for it under Performance, Modifications.

·
Registered
1,762 Posts
GenII - Yes, the TV sold to Cody690... I'm just waiting for him to decide what he wants to do with it and if he wants me to bring it to him...

RicDogg - Ugh, I know Civics suck - I really hate those little cars, but that's what people drive around here (They read too much Super Street and Import Tuner)... "My Car's Fast Yo! It's got MAD PROPS from all my friends YO... It's on NOS and runs a 16 flat in the 1/4 YO! But that's ok, I'm all about the stylin' YO, and Impressin' the ladies Yo... did I mention that I'm only 16 YO..."

Ha, that's the concensus around here...

I guess I should have said the following when I first replied:

Run nitrous carefully - get colder plugs, get a compr. test and check all cylinders, get a good nitrous kit that can manage itself... and don't use too much...

I'm sure that that would have sufficed.

Peace Guys

·
*r**h *eller
1,920 Posts
Well now I have to disagree with you about civics. They are a good platform for hotrodding. Well built and lightweight with a good suspension. Do a H22 transplant and upgrade the brake system and you got a streetburner. Plus you got that huge aftermarket to pick and choose from (just pass on the washer nozzle LEDs).

·
Registered
1,762 Posts
Ah Dave, I didn't say that they weren't good platforms. A couple of friends of mine have a pair of red '92 Hatchbacks that have every Spoon and Buddy Club part that is made on em, and they're bad as all hell, but teh ones around here are a friggen joke... it's jsut that no one seems to know what quality is, and it doesn't start with "TenzoR" or "Aerospeed"... That's what really gets my goat - if someone would spend the money and do it right the first time, any car can be better than it was stock, but people are often just like "Why should I buy those coilovers, thery're $2200.00 when I can just buy some springs for $199.00..." These are the things that I get to hear... I almost just want to be an ass and point my finger while saying "You're stupid, you're not... you're stupid, you're not..." while rotating in a circle... Ha!

But, the B16 is a great motor - esp. with Toda Cams, Spoon header, Ferrea valves, JUN headpackage, etc... and Type R bottom end... wow...

1 - 20 of 20 Posts