Acura Legend Forum banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
1,639 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just picked up a set for 100 bucks lol and was wondering how wide and sidewall size I can go for best traction , they need new tires. They currently have 205' on but I'm pretty sure 215 will fit, what do you guys think.

I was told by someone I know that if I go with 215 they wont catch as well on turns because of its over hang on the wheel, I wasn't sure about that statement but Im really not that worried about slalom performance but offline straight performance

I was thinking of BFG KDW 2 i heard a bunch about them and they are not that expensive compared to like pilot sports.

thanks

·
Banned
14,676 Posts
well seeing how they are OEM size, personally i'd recommend 225/55's. that's what i've been running on my old GS wheels. i liked them more then the OEM 215/60's. you can also run 225/60's if u really want.

·
Registered
1,639 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
well seeing how they are OEM size, personally i'd recommend 225/55's. that's what i've been running on my old GS wheels. i liked them more then the OEM 215/60's. you can also run 225/60's if u really want.
damn I didnt think 225 would fit, 60's would probably be to tall specially since im pretty droped on some k sports,

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

what brand tires you running??

·
Registered
1,639 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
^^^^ hahah nice, damn 225 how do they grip around corners and a straight line??

·
Registered
472 Posts
I just picked up a set for 100 bucks lol and was wondering how wide and sidewall size I can go for best traction , they need new tires. They currently have 205' on but I'm pretty sure 215 will fit, what do you guys think.

I was told by someone I know that if I go with 215 they wont catch as well on turns because of its over hang on the wheel, I wasn't sure about that statement but Im really not that worried about slalom performance but offline straight performance

I was thinking of BFG KDW 2 i heard a bunch about them and they are not that expensive compared to like pilot sports.

thanks
First of all you have bought a wrong size of wheels for your 91 legend if you want to have the original size since they are 15 x 6.5 "tires: 205/60". If you want the original tires for the type2 LS Coupe and GS Sedan which uses 16 x 6.5 you should go with 215/55 tires which is the original size.
Now that you have changed to a different size of wheels just know that your speedometer will get the speed wrong since the sensors are programmed to wheels with the dimensions of 15 x 6.5 and not 16 x 6.5.
Using tires with a wrong dimension is not the smartest idea if you ask me(well you didn't ask me, but anyway) cause the 215/55 used for the 16 x 6.5 wheels are already kind of wide so going any wider would in my opinion make the wheels too wide which would wear down your tires faster and cause your car's traction to be reduced.
Well this is just my opinion and not a scientific answer at all.

·
Banned
14,676 Posts
First of all you have bought a wrong size of wheels for your 91 legend if you want to have the original size since they are 15 x 6.5 "tires: 205/60". If you want the original tires for the type2 LS Coupe and GS Sedan which uses 16 x 6.5 you should go with 215/55 tires which is the original size.
Now that you have changed to a different size of wheels just know that your speedometer will get the speed wrong since the sensors are programmed to wheels with the dimensions of 15 x 6.5 and not 16 x 6.5.
Using tires with a wrong dimension is not the smartest idea if you ask me(well you didn't ask me, but anyway) cause the 215/55 used for the 16 x 6.5 wheels are already kind of wide so going any wider would in my opinion make the wheels too wide which would wearn down your tires faster and cause your car's traction to be reduced.
FYI: 215/55/16 and 205/60/15 are the same size. run the math.

also, i'll point out i was wrong in the tire size above /\/\

my coupe has 225/50/16, 225/55/16's will work also.

16x6.5 is not wrong. its OEM spec's.

·
Registered
472 Posts
it has nothing to do with the math, it has something to do with the tire width and the rim width. If you're using 225 instead of 215 the wheels will have kind of like this balooning fit because the tire is wider than the rim. 16 x 6.5 is the OEM spec for the (93-95) LS Coupe and the GS Sedan not the rest cause they all use 15 x 6.5 and that's the official numbers.

Official from Honda/Acura on the 91 Legend:

Turning circle, Wheels: 34.8 ft. (10.6m) Sedan Cast aluminum alloy, 6.5J X 15
Tires: 205/60R-15 90V,V-rated

But yes we agree on the original tires for the car, but you say you're using 225 and they are in my opinion too wide and that is what I'm refering to above, not the difference between 205/60 and 215/55.

·
Registered
472 Posts
oh my ...
Listen you can't just put any tire you want on any size of rims(wheels) the tire will in case of using a narrow wheel versus a broad tire cause the tire to baloon outside of it's intended range. The thing about saying 215/60 versus 225/50 sure makes the numbers straight if you're only looking at the numbers, but you forget the wheels which is 6.5 in the width so in my opinion it makes an imbalance.... well I'm just saying to watch out for the risk of getting too wide tires for the wheels since they will baloon outside of the wheel width and therefor causing the tires to wear down faster and get a reduced traction as well, due to the imbalance.

I'm not saying I'm right, but I remember my mechanic telling me about that and why not to use wider tires for my legend.

·
Registered
1,639 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Using tires with a wrong dimension is not the smartest idea if you ask me(well you didn't ask me, but anyway) cause the 215/55 used for the 16 x 6.5 wheels are already kind of wide so going any wider would in my opinion make the wheels too wide which would wear down your tires faster and cause your car's traction to be reduced.
Lol I bought the rims on purpose, they are a different size than the stocks, obviously isnt that the point??? duh...

How is buying a wider tire going to reduce traction???

·
Registered
899 Posts
Dont know........ My understanding is that wider tires cover and grab more, they also help alot with handling. Look at the large size tires stock on all the sports cars. Those things are all about handleing and grip.

Chris (Mr Wood)

Frost on Ivory

·
Dont Catch
4,407 Posts
gotche is right...

wider tires doesnt always equal better traction... a common misconception

putting a wide tire 225 on a 6.5 will cause the tires to balloon... and therefore you can actually lose the contact patch that you thought you gained. sidewall deformation isnt traction friendly and will cause your tires to overheat.

also wider tires have less resistance to sidewall flex.. i dont know if you have ever seen it but it can cause the tread to actually roll over onto the sidewall... greater chance especially if you have a taller sidewall.

like i said in the other thread... i wouldnt run a 225 on anything less than a 7inch.. in fact a 215 would be ideal for a 7inch.

·
Registered
1,639 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
gotche is right...

wider tires doesnt always equal better traction... a common misconception

putting a wide tire 225 on a 6.5 will cause the tires to balloon... and therefore you can actually lose the contact patch that you thought you gained. sidewall deformation isnt traction friendly and will cause your tires to overheat.

also wider tires have less resistance to sidewall flex.. i dont know if you have ever seen it but it can cause the tread to actually roll over onto the sidewall... greater chance especially if you have a taller sidewall.

like i said in the other thread... i wouldnt run a 225 on anything less than a 7inch.. in fact a 215 would be ideal for a 7inch.
So your saying I should keep with a 205 or go for a 215??

·
Dont Catch
4,407 Posts
the 205/55/16 is actually a closer match than the stock tire size for the GS (215/55/16)

and according to your original post... your friend is correct... wider tires also affect turn-in.

anyhow the KDWs are made in that size according to the bfgoodrich but its not listed as a size on tirerack..

there are also some other nice tires in that size on tire rack... kumho spt, kumho mx, goodyear g2-d3 (expensive), pzero nero, fuzion zri, direzzas, and the ventus rs-2

so you shouldnt have trouble finding tires in those sizes either.

·
Registered
1,639 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
the 205/55/16 is actually a closer match than the stock tire size for the GS (215/55/16)

and according to your original post... your friend is correct... wider tires also affect turn-in.

anyhow the KDWs are made in that size according to the bfgoodrich but its not listed as a size on tirerack..

there are also some other nice tires in that size on tire rack... kumho spt, kumho mx, goodyear g2-d3 (expensive), pzero nero, fuzion zri, direzzas, and the ventus rs-2

so you shouldnt have trouble finding tires in those sizes either.
damn but 205 are so thin lol, yea the only place i found the tires were sears

1 - 20 of 42 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.