Acura Legend Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello just bought a new 1989 Acura legend ls and it came with a aftermarket radio. I pulled that out and I bought 3 different oem radios and only one of them played audio and tapes. Unfortunately i can barely hear any audio. Is there a amplifier like the gen 2 models have in the backseat? There’s also alot of whining sounds coming from the speakers in the back. Thanks

· Registered
64 Posts
For credentials I have 5 each 1st gen Legends (2 sedans & 3 coupes) and my son has a 6th coupe. The "LS" top of the line model had an OEM Bose sound system wherein the amps & equalizers were located within each of the 4 speakers, not in the head unit, so the head unit only sends the audio "signal" from the tape deck or receiver to the speaker amps. The door & rear amps/equalizers fail with age so that's probably why the after market unit was installed.

I'd hazard a guess that the OEM speakers and their sound boxes have been removed and regular speakers that require a head unit with amp are installed. Thus, if you installed the OEM Bose head unit it doesn't have an amp to drive the speakers.

On the other hand if you installed an OEM head unit from a lesser "L" model, it does contain the amp and equalizers and tape deck and would be able to drive the after market speakers. You'll probably have to open the unit up and lubricate the tape deck mechanicals and clean the head. It's been my experience that the "L" model unit is robust and just needs a little TLC due to age, and I actually like it's larger console appearance better than the Bose unit.

Also, the non-OEM speakers always fail with age due to the foam "surround" deteriorating, and thus have to be replaced.

Let me know your phone number if you want to discuss with me and I'll call you.

· Registered
1,639 Posts
I installed an OEM unit, 39100-SW5-A000 (638-57014-NOA) 15 years ago when the factory head unit died. I think it's an excellent replacement for a non-Bose unit. It's plug-and-play (you will need the security code) and provided the factory harness is intact. The rear bracket needs to be modified where it attaches to the unit by drilling two holes. This is so the bracket will fit the existing holes in the console face.

The only down side is that you'll lose the dash controls.

Here's what it looks like: Acura TL 1995-1998 Radio AMFM Cassette CD Player 39100-SW5-A000 Face Number 1111

I got my refurbished unit (new logic assembly and motor) from Willman's Electronics: Factory Car Stereo Repairs and/or add an AUX input!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts