Acura Legend Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

· Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought this car two weeks ago. It is a 1989 Acura Legend L 5 speed with 215k miles on it. It started fine for two weeks and then...this morning I tried starting it...forgot it was in gear...the car surged forward...tried to start again and it just cranks. I can smell fuel after prolonged cranking. Could I have damaged something by starting it in gear? Please help... I only need this car for work until the end of Februaury and then I'm selling...it is my only car right now! Need help please. Also...drivers side door will not open from outside...any ideas?

· Registered
2,316 Posts
The only thing that comes to my mind is this ... look under your hood and check the coil wire! run a search on the form for this. Also ... the next thing would be the main relay. Again, a search will lead you into the right direction for both of these. BTW man ... where abouts it Powell in ohio? im in Lima but home now for the holidays.

· Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Powell Ohio is a suburb of Columbus...Northwest side, probably an hour or so from Lima. I'm not very good a fixing cars, but am pretty handy...are theses things you refer to somewhat easy to do?

· Registered
2,316 Posts
A coil wire is very easy. Its a wire that runs from the igntion coil to the distributer on the motor. What could have happend ... is i know how tight the wire can be and if the engine jerked it could have pulled it off the coil. I was just working on my car and dropped a tool on the wire and it pulled it off.

· Registered
2,316 Posts
Depends on your price! i would love another 5 spd legend! yes, you can see it with the hood open and no ... you dont need to get under the car. It will be on the driver side ... it will have a black or blue wire running out of it ... very well insulated

· Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Where do you live when you are not in Lima? As for price...Blue book retail value is all over the place. I know the 5spd is a great car. How bout we start at $2k for it. What is your offer?

· Registered
2,316 Posts
i would have to look it over .... i paid in the end ... a total of $1300 for mine .... I live in northern vermont, but i attend college in lima ... university of northwestern ohio, if you want ... hit me up on yahoo or msn .... [email protected] or [email protected]

· Registered
2,316 Posts
yea, i got your e-mail .... hmmmm, wish i had a faster connection ... and more pics, lol, umm, e-mail me a pic of the engine bay, someone on here is bound to have one. its a black box up high on the drivers side engine bay. Its got a wire that is run down to a tube that runs to the distributer cap that leads to the spark plug wires.

· Registered
2,316 Posts
yea, and it will have a large rubber connector, it will be high up on the strut tower. The wire should be blue or black and will look like a spark plug wire.

· Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Well...what a wild evening. I got home and tried to start with no luck. Let sit for a while, wiggled coil and plug, battery connections...no luck. Then got in the car, depressed the clutch and accelerator to the floor and turned it over. Started up and alot of white smoke came out. Let it run and then it would not go into any gear accept third, and even that was incredibly difficult. Managed to drive it to local oil change shop to change oil and check all fluids. Everything ok...had to force it into gear to get home, again third gear only. Arrived home...turned car off. Went out 30 minutes later, car started and shifted perfectly. Any explanation to this?

· Registered
2,316 Posts
It could have locked into gear when it was started in gear last time. As for it starting, it may have just been flooded.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.