Acura Legend Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just made a post in the G2 Forum becuase I was looking at an acura Legend today and the guy told me it was a 91, but I have been looking at pictures of them and I now know that it is a 1990 V6 Acura Legend L, with an automatic tranny. I was just wondering if you guys here could answer a few of my questions. The car looks alright it will probably need a new front bumper, and the interior is is alrigh condition to besides the leather seats which are worn and have tears in them. But the main thing I was wondering is if there is anything I should be aware of on these cars that I should check out before I buy it from him. The car has 250,000 miles on it and He is asking $1K for it. I test drove it today and it seems to run good to me. He has receipts for some stuff he has done on the car already, He just purchased a new water pump for it about 3 months ago. You guys think the car is worth the money with that many miles on it? Also How long does one of these motors and transmissions usually last before you start having major problems?

J-Cub

·
Registered
1,290 Posts
Check for noisy valve lifters when starting cold ..not a big problem, but can be annoying. Also, check to see when the timing belt was changed last. It should be changed every 56,000 miles. If he changed the water pump recently, he should have changed the timing belt too ..they're usually done at the same time. Also, check for hard shifting of the transmission under rapid acceleration. This can usually be solved with a transmission flush and new fluid. Remember to use ONLY the Honda ATF in the tranny. Considering the cosmetic conditions you described, and the mileage ...$1K seems in the ballpark ...offer him $800 and dicker from there.

·
Registered
1,693 Posts
Take my advice, run away!

Unless he has every maintance record since day 1 that car with 250,000miles is ready to fall apart if it hasnt started allready.

You can find better for $1000, just be patent and look around more.

·
Registered
44 Posts
the year of the car should be somewhere in the middle of the vin #. if he's lying to you about the year what else is he hiding?? i would also wait and look around but if u can get it for $800 go for it..

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.