Acura Legend Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
1990 Legend 4 dr, 6 cyl, auto trans, 248K miles.
The transmission started shifting from 1st gear straight into 4th gear around 3500 to 4000 rpm.
Thanks to this forum, I was able to remove the solenoids from the tranny and clean them. The problem went away for about six to seven months.
Now the same problem has started again.

A few questions please:
*Will changing the fluid two or three times to flush the system help the transmission.
*After changing the fluid several times (assuming I do), I would prefer to replace the solenoids rather than cleaning them again. Does anyone know a reasonable source where I could order new solenoids? My local dealer wants $198 per solenoid bank. ($400 total)
*Where is the TCU unit? Is the error code light on the front or rear of the TCU?

Any advise would be welcome. The body of the car and the interior is in excellent condition however I would not want to spend the money for a tranny rebuild.

Thanks again for the help.
DT

· Registered
23 Posts
I agree. If the solenoids work, they work. New solenoids won't solve clogged screens. If you're worried about the screens tearing apart (mainly thinking about the gaskets that house the screens here) you may want to replace those. Wash-rinse-repeat and all that. While testing my solenoids, I used some brake cleaner to flush 'em out good. If I remember right, that was all part of the test (that I found in a post on this site).

· Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Worked great again everyone. Thanks for the help.
This time I drained the tranny and cleaned out the tip of the magnetic trans drain plug. Hopefully this will help keep the noid screens clean longer. The stuff I got out of the drain plug recess looked like the same stuff in the noid screen.

Regards... DT

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.