Acura Legend Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This car has had problems with overheating off and on for about two years. There are no signs of coolant on the ground or on the engine areas. The last time it was in the shop for this they checked the following: Oil in coolant (none), pressure in cylinders (ok), and pressured the coolant system (ok). They add some conditioner to the coolant system just incase there may be a small leak. Then my son last night was driving back from LA to SF and the car start to overheat while stuck in traffic on Highway 5. He noticed the the temp gauge was climbing and some white smoke was coming out of the exhaust. The heater was also going from hot to cold. He pulled over waited a while then checked the coolant levels. He noticed that the reserve was full but the radiator was a pint or more down. He filled the car up and continued home. The car seemed to be okay. This morning I noticed when idling the car for 5 or more minutes that the lower radiator hose did not get hot? Maybe the thermasat is not opening? The heater did get hot? So how long should it take for the thermasat to open? Also what would be the best way to determine if the head gasket is blown, and which head?
Any thoughts?
Merr Christmas to all

· Registered
24 Posts
I think it's very likely another BHG. I had pretty much the same problems as you have now. I had tried everything else before I decised to spend a lot of money to fix the HG.

This is what I did. After I was disappointed so many times by those independent merchanics, I took my car to Acura dealer for check. I only let them check and declined the fix after they told me it was a BHG. The reason way their labor rate is too high. Here in NJ, my local Acura's labor is $100 per hour :confused:

The good thing at the dealer is: they are supposed to have better instruments. Let them check and call you first for the problem. If they tell you a little fix, like a leaking hose, just let them do the job. Then drive the car for several days. You get to drive her hard. Since after they replace and put in Honder coolant, it usually holds for a while (it was true in my case). Maybe this is why Honda coolant is better. It seems honda coolant is less prone to the bubble in the system. Anyway, if the car is still overheating, take your car back to the dealer and let them check again specifically for a BHG. You are not gonna pay for the second checking fee. If they tell you have a BHG, decline the fix and take your car to a mechanic you can trust.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.