Acura Legend Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 2.5L (243kmiles) is nearing the end of its life. I did a search and could not find much details. I thought about this once before as a desirable thing and we (meaning older members of board) concluded it would just be better to put a 2.5L in. BUT......

I can only find decent 2.7L engines on the used market here and the re-ring kit for the 2.5L is well over twice the price of the 2.7L. Talking to my local junkyard guy (who seems very knowledgeable), he says I can put a 2.7L in if I change "everything" over from the old engine to the new. I am trying to figure out what "everything" means - I figured the exhaust and intake manifolds and most of the other stuff comes long with them.

This is all just a long winded way of asking, anybody done this before and can verify the claim that a 2.7 can be swapped in. And what exactly that would entail. I can get the 2.7L (warrantied) for $400. The 2.5 core is $200 and the rebuild kit is $800+ (no joke).

·
Registered
45 Posts
Mechanicly I don't think the swap will be that hard, it's the electronics that will present the challenge.

"Everything" probably refers to the engine management system. The ECU, wiring, sensors all will probably need to come as a system.

When you get the 2.7 make sure that you get the electronics and the wiring. I don't know how much the wiring harness changed when they switched to the 2.7, so you'll need a detailed wiring diagram of your car and the car the 2.7 came from. Hopefully the harnesses are very similar. It's slow detailed work, but any mistake here will lead to gremlins in the future.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Yeh you will need an ECU from a 2.7l car. There are some additions I believe, such as the electronic idle air control valve (I have read that this was not added until 88). I would guess that the sensors you do have can be reused but you will have to add some more perhaps. I don't know how the ABS interacts with the ECU. I have a wiring diagram but need an adapter from centronix or db25 to the external 68pin on my 2940uw to hook up my scanner. I have not been able to find one for a reasonable price yet...

·
Registered
308 Posts
ladelberg,
Everything means keeping all of your OLD 2.5L components. Use only the long block from the 2.7L. You need to keep your 2.5L intake manifold (non dual stage intake), exhaust manifold(o2 sensors), distributor, crank angle sensor, accessories ( a/c, p/s, etc ). Most important are your distributor and crank angle sensor ( under front cam sprocket ) as the 2.5L initial timing is not computer controlled. Basically strip all electrical components out of the 2.7L and use your original 2.5L components. This includes oil sensors and valcumn sensors from LS 2.7L models. The only thing I would keep in addition to the long block is the 2.7L oil filter housing, which uses screw on filters instead of the euro style housing filters. Fuel injectors are identical so use which ever is in better shape ( usually existing 2.5L as the 2.7L has been laying around and dried fuel gums up the injectors )

Luck.

·
Registered
31 Posts
all in all, after buying the 2.7L engine and all the electronics, how much $ are we looking at ish?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts