Acura Legend Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
One Meeelion HP
2,907 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well they say a picture is worth 1000 words, so here's my 2000 word essay. This head was removed from a 97 3.5RL motor with green aftermarket coolant in it, the head gaskets were being done as preventative maintenance, I'm glad that we did them.

-Matt

·
Registered
1,109 Posts
Looks like someone used "stop leak" :dunno:. My 91' Coupe used Prestone coolant from about 128K miles to 350+K miles; When the engine was taken apart for head gasket repair (at 350+K) everything was perfect. Prestone is just fine in my book and so far, no one proved it to cause any ill effects (in a C series engine).

·
difficult to kill
710 Posts
WOW mine didnt look like that thank god.... even so, does anyone know a good internet source for the genuine honda coolant?

·
SGM / Type F
3,653 Posts
My local Honda dealership carries it for $15 a gal.

·
Registered
1,266 Posts
I'll have to look at my receipt, but if memory serves, AofA had it for less than $11.

·
Renaissance.
3,001 Posts
WOW mine didnt look like that thank god.... even so, does anyone know a good internet source for the genuine honda coolant?
After shipping, it might be cheaper to just pick it up @ your local dealer. My dealer price matches, as long as I bring in a screenprint of the site. I'm thinking others may, too. But my local Acura guy is an Acura enthusiast, so he looks out for me.

·
Banned
14,692 Posts
:werd: typeII coolant FTW. i found my local dealer usually sells it to me for about $10-15. considering other places carry other coolants for $10+ no reason not to buy the honda stuff for good measure.

·
Svc Mgr
51 Posts
also there is a tech service bulletin from acura on using they're coolant. it tells about how silicate in non honda coolant can reduce the life of water pump seals and other cooling system components. honda blue coolant is the only way to go for our cars!!

·
Registered
117 Posts
So for the new guys like me, Its Acura of A......?

·
Registered
380 Posts
yeah that shit is from stop leak not from coolant coolant wont build up like that. thats y i always say never use stop leak just think if the heads look like that, what does the heater core look like or the radiator, or the other passages in the block. that stuff is terrible for the car never should be used.

·
One Meeelion HP
2,907 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
It definetly was not stop leak. This was silicate buildup, it was the consistency and color of silica (and green aftermarket coolant). Also, similar deposits were found in the block.

-Matt

·
Registered
4,658 Posts
If this does occur, why do sites like Prestone. Basically say that silicates are more of a concern when the water has harder minerals (they use Euro as an example) and not a problem here in the U.S. But still say they still offer the Silicate free coolant as "peace of mind"....
I'm a firm believer in better safe than sorry, my uncle who is more mechanically inclined basically told me only suckers fall for it :p

I didn't persue the argument with him and rather pay the extra bucks for Honda coolant and peace of mind...

·
FRISCO LEGEND BABY!!!!
9,302 Posts
If this does occur, why do sites like Prestone. Basically say that silicates are more of a concern when the water has harder minerals (they use Euro as an example) and not a problem here in the U.S. But still say they still offer the Silicate free coolant as "peace of mind"....
I'm a firm believer in better safe than sorry, my uncle who is more mechanically inclined basically told me only suckers fall for it :p

I didn't persue the argument with him and rather pay the extra bucks for Honda coolant and peace of mind...
They just want your money. They don't care about your car lol.

·
Registered
420 Posts
I agree with Matt. I had an 88 Prelude where there was never stop-leak put in (I was second owner and it never had any cooling system problems and I bought it with a broken timing belt). When I had the head off, everything was spotless after running with the OEM coolant. I opted not to change the water pump as it was original and functioning perfectly after 6 years and 140k miles.

Two years went by and I decided to replace the water pump before a trip just for security. I replaced it with an OEM pump (because the first one lasted so long) and put in nice, fresh Prestone. Three years and about 40k miles later, the water pump started leaking from the bearing seals. When I replaced the pump, there was that same gooey stuff in there that Matt found.

NOW, I have my Legend. Water pump was replaced at 139k. Now, at 176k, after having Prestone in it, it's leaking from the bearing seals.

If you go to any radiator shop, they will tell you as well that Prestone uses a small amount of stop-leak compounds in their mix and that's what we see in those pics.

NO MORE PRESTONE FOR ME.

·
Registered
51 Posts
It looks like they resurfaced the heads and the metal fillings got in the ports. There was probably alittle coolant in the ports and mixed with the fillings.

·
Matthew is THE USER!
1,672 Posts
k w.t.f. these are the threads that scare the crap out of me. lol
im not having any problems atm. but i definately did not put honda oem coolant in my car when i got it flushed. but i know my mechanic, and he put some good quality shiiit. i'll find the name ..

*sigh.. my gaskets... you people make me worry about my car more than i have to :(..

since this is my first legend. when should i replace the gaskets? (km/mile) wise. i was given a price of 750$ to do the job too. is that a fair price?

1 - 18 of 18 Posts