Acura Legend Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

· Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been searching for this car for a while and I finally found it! I just picked up my '02 RL last week and drove it home (about 25 miles). The tank was full when I started and was 3/4 full by the time I got home! I couldn't believe it! Am I going to have to pay a fortune in gas for the rest of the life of the car, or is there something that needs to be serviced / replaced? The car has 72k on it. What are the suggestions? I've read that replacing the thermostat might help, but I would have never thought of that! Is there anything else that can be done? Thanks for all the help!

· Registered
995 Posts
You know when your thermostat is going bad when the temp gage moved up and down drastically depending on if the car is moving or sitting still. I dont see how just installing a new one will give you better gas mileage.

Check your mpg. I get roughly 22 mpg, which is better than what I got on my Integra Type R of 17mpg but not as good as my 94 civic 1.5L at 29-33mpg

Just be nicer on the throttle assuming everything is running great.

· Registered
12 Posts
Get 21 mpg on the road running 70 - 75 mph. My brother-in-law has a 97 RL and gets similar gas mileage. Had a Park Avenue Ultra that got 24 mpg at 75 mph and was a heavier and bigger car. This RL was apparently designed for speed, not mpg. My RL starts humming at 80 mph and its too bad we don't have unlimited speed limits.

· Banned
1,340 Posts
before you start crying do this:
fill your car up and set you mileage tripometer.run it to about half full then fill it up again and record the amount of gas needed to do so.now take the mileage difference and divide the gas used by the mileage difference and you will get your mileage per gallon.i think you will find it quite respectful.hope that helps.

· Banned
3,429 Posts
my gas mileage in the city sucks, but on the highway the car just eats up road and barely uses any gas. I think its because the car is more geared for highway driving...seeing as how once you get up to speeds of 60+ the car is like a rocket.

· Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
So do these cars get about 200 miles per tank? That's what I seem to be getting. The guage on the thermostat is steady so I don't think that's the problem. Could it be an oxygen sensor, dirty fuel system, some other mystery? Or, does the mpg on this car just suck? I drive on the highway about 80% of the time, and in LA, that's about 40 mph.

· Registered
473 Posts
u be allright

hey check your fuel filter or the fuel system and make sure u are not using a ty gas ! are u using premium? It should not use that much of gas i get about 350 miles with full tank.I can drive from Maryland to NY with the half tank 212 miles.

· Registered
81 Posts
Being that im in love with my RL. I tend not to drive so aggressively, because hard acceleration [email protected]#&s up your car. And i want my RL to last as long as it can. But i usually get 210 miles on a whole tank with premium that translates into 12 mpg. Probably because i drive it to school every morning, and the engine hasn't warm up. Oh and you shouldn't rely on ur fuel gauge, it tends to be very un accurate. When i drove my car to E, the low fuel indicator did not lite up and when i refueled it i still had 4 gallons!!! wth!!! :mad:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.