Acura Legend Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
2003 RL no V8 per Car preview magazine

Did anyone see this months Auto Preview Mag the 03 or 04 now that I think about it RL is one that is featured in it, they say no V8 will be present but due to new technology the V6 will put out 300hp and will be AWD. Of course the the picture is a drawn one and it dosen't look anything like the one that was floating around here 6mos ago. In fact it looks like nothing I've ever seen, the thing is absolutely ugly although they said it will be toned down a bit, they also made mention that technology will be their focus with this model. They made no statments as to pricing but I assume it wont be too much seeing it will not have a V8, these Acura guys are so stubborn, I think their trying to make a point though (What they can do with a V6)

·
Registered
358 Posts
V6 AWD...that makes no sense. Although, if you see the new DN-X concept from Honda, it shows a hybrid and gas engine put together to make 400hp. Maybe the new V6 is going to be the same way and the RL will get the 300hp version and the NSX will be bumped to 400.

AWD...thats going to be a new one to me.

·
Registered
2,565 Posts
ok...an AWD V6 is still pretty [email protected] good. 300hp, sure. how was the sketch lookin? any good?

·
I'van der Rohe
12,803 Posts
truthfully i think htey are headed WAAYYY in the RIGHT direction withthe RL. V6 has always been a trademark of the everpresent legend even when competion had 8's it still hung tough so to switch to a V8 would be doin the same thing lexus did with that hidious car the LS430 (copy the competion). acura has always tried to beat the competion on theire own field i like th Idea of 4wd especially where im from withthe snow that can come by surprise. KEEP THE V6 GO 4WD IF NOTHING (Bias it towards the rear if thats what it takes) but not RWD.

V8-RWD= BANDWAGON

be original. but make it fast and luxurious like only the legend should be represented.

one...

·
Registered
1,152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
The sketch was very different even if they tone it down as they said it still will be very different, the front is a total redo the sketch shows slight humps over the wheels you know in the finder on both sides of the hood thats what made the car look ugly to me they dont show the back as they never do in sketches the lines are different the car as a whole is more sleek. Goto your local Barnes & Nobles book store and check it out thats where I saw it the mag is called 'Car Preview' by Consumer Report

·
0000$$$$0000####0000
4,926 Posts
I would love to see a V6 producing 300 or more HP. People need to forget about the number of cylinders and focus on the final results. What would you all rather have? A 3800 lb car with a V6 producing 300HP (Same as the current Lexus GS 430 V8), or a 3900lb car with a V8 producing 300HP? Look at the new Nissan 350Z. It's a V6 right? Look at all the Porsche's. It's a 6 right? Honda doesn't need a V8. While I don't mind a V8, the number of cylinders won't make me buy a car or not. I'd rather see Honda keep the V6 and start adding forced induction instead.

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
Re: Re: 2003 RL no V8 per Auto preview magazine

Yup it is. My father owns one... a 3.8L V6 Supercharged and Intercooled. 0-60 in 6.5 seconds with a 4-Speed Auto. But that car has fit and finish problems. It was the 1st GM car to offer value-priced pricing since the Saturn was such a great success. look at where it got them... low quality, but kick-ass performance!

NickD said:

Buick used the 3.8L V6 in the Grand National, turbocharged and intercooled it and **** that thing is fast.

·
Registered
653 Posts
Re: Re: 2003 RL no V8 per Auto preview magazine

NickD said:

Buick used the 3.8L V6 in the Grand National, turbocharged and intercooled it and **** that thing is fast.
Honda Never turbo charged any of their production engines EXCEPT the ultra RARE 1st gen Legend Sedan with a turbo V6. It was a prototype I think. They should have turbo charged the 2nd gen..... Yummy....

G

·
I went to Temple of VTEC, www.vtec.net and found an article but I had to register to read it so here it is to save you guys the trouble:

No 'me-too' for Honda on V-8, rwd
Company cites philosophy; analysts say cost is factor

By Mark Rechtin
Automotive News / June 24, 2002

LOS ANGELES -- Despite the auto industry's revived interest in V-8 engines and rear-wheel-drive cars, Honda Motor Co. Ltd. will stand by its contrarian reputation and resist both trends, a top engineer says.

Honda says smaller engines and front-wheel-drive vehicles fit the company's environmental conscience. But some industry watchers say that V-8s and rwd cars would be too costly for Honda.

Tomoyuki Sugiyama, executive chief engineer of Honda R&D Co. Ltd., said Honda can make its V-6 engines powerful enough to take on V-8s and make its fwd platforms as performance-oriented as other automakers' rwd vehicles.

"Other automakers have V-8 engines, so we would just become one of them. Technically, we can do a V-12 if you want. But this has more to do with the Honda philosophy in dealing with the environment, the future and energy consumption," Sugiyama said in an interview at the media introduction of the 2003 Honda Accord.

Rumored for years

Sugiyama said Honda prefers fwd because it makes for a lighter vehicle and more tire grip on slippery roads.

Honda uses rwd on two sporty cars, the S2000 and NSX. Honda also has all-wheel-drive technology, though it is derived from the Japan-market fwd Accord.

"There was a time in the past when front-engine, front drive was considered lesser than rear drive because of NVH (noise, vibration and harshness) concerns and driving feel," Sugiyama said. "But today we have the technology to provide excellent high-performance, even though a car might be front drive. Honda feels no crucial need to develop rear-wheel drive."

Honda Motor President Hiroyuki Yoshino has resisted calls for Honda to build a V-8 engine.

For nearly a decade, analysts have predicted Honda's entry into both V-8 and rwd segments because luxury vehicles such as the fwd Acura 3.5RL have fared poorly against its V-8-powered competition.

The trend toward rwd is growing: The Chrysler group will replace the Dodge Intrepid and Chrysler Concorde with rwd cars in 2003. General Motors will revive the Pontiac GTO next year with a rwd car from its Australian subsidiary.

Honda insiders confirm the automaker has gathered reams of market research on V-8s and rwd, but recouping the massive development costs is overwhelming.

A consultant who declined to be named estimated that developing and tooling up both a rwd platform and a V-8 engine family would conservatively cost $2 billion. At that cost, even if Honda sold 100,000 such equipped vehicles a year, it would take 20 years to recoup its investment, the consultant said.

Dan Bonawitz, American Honda Motor Co. Inc. vice president of planning and logistics, agreed that the high costs are a barrier. "There is a significant investment involved, and you have to have the volume to get the return on your investment. The U.S. may have big horsepower V-8 bragging rights, but a lot is changing with the certification of fuel economy standards, the fuel supply and environmental regulations. We need to show other options."

Q45's lesson

The market for V-8 rwd vehicles is small, with many costing more than $50,000.

"Having a V-8 and rear drive doesn't guarantee success or large volumes. Just look at the new Infiniti Q45," Bonawitz said.

The Q45 has sold just 1,676 units through May, off 38 percent from a lackluster 2001.

"Other companies do a large V-8 as an image halo," Bonawitz said. "But does Acura need it to be considered successful? No."

There also is the matter of manufacturing productivity. Honda and Acura claim 7 percent of the U.S. market with just 3 percent of the product offerings, Bonawitz said.

Adding low-volume products equipped with a V-8 or rwd or both would lower that manufacturing productivity.

·
Registered
1,152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
That is one insightful article, here in the US image is everything never mind the possible harm it can do to our enviornment just gimme more more more its also interesting how auto magazine buy into that and feed we americans the message that if a luxury car dosen't have a v8 then its not luxury and so it effect the sales of these cars because people read these articles in motor trend and the like and are greatly influenced. Honda makes a lot of sence, if they make a v6 with 300 HP and it looks good I'm all over it, forget a heavy gas guzzling V8.

I initially gave this new 04 RL a thumbs down not because of the features but because I don't like the sketch, its ugly, in person it my turn out to be just what the doctor ordered I duno we will just have to wait and see.

·
Banned
2,642 Posts
SpeedDemon said:
"Other automakers have V-8 engines, so we would just become one of them. Technically, we can do a V-12 if you want. But this has more to do with the Honda philosophy in dealing with the environment, the future and energy consumption," Sugiyama said in an interview at the media introduction of the 2003 Honda Accord.
I don't totally agree with this statement. I mean they would be following the competition by going to a V8 RWD car but they are already following the competition in every other aspect. The G1 and G2 lead the market, the RL by no means leads, only follows. It looks like a mix of a Mercedes, Lexus with a touch of Lincoln to it. Very conservative. Very underpowered. Very plain and boring. Right now the V6 FWD in the RL looks like they are taking what was once and award winning platform and just getting lazy by keeping it unchanged. Sales numbers show, 80,000+ Legends sold in 1988 and 16,000 RL's sold in it's best year (96 I think). They ***** that going to RWD drive and a V8 would cost to much. How much more money could they have made if they made a real G3 Acura Legend???

Did Honda not like the idea of car designers trying to design luxo performance say "Well, what's Honda up to?"

I think the RL should have been a V8 RWD car and our real Legends V6's without a doubt. I don't wish for a V8 in my Legend and a smile everytime I pop my hood and see the beautiful V6. From the design ques and marketing of the RL they are trying to compete in the pure luxury catagory where people want big V8's the jump off the line. If this new "Legend" has a 300hp V6, it **** well better be a Legend and not an RL.

·
Registered
1,152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
Heres the reality not that I agree with all this but to stay politically correct, if you decide to change your name from Legend to 3.5RL only here in the US because that's what the other Luxury guys are doing, then follow through on the rest with that same principal here in the US give us a V8 RWD since we don't have the same enviroment issues and you keep your V6 and that way you wont have to spend as much on production, Heck you did something simular with your Accord. Appeal to the wants and needs of the people and you will sale, i.e. Lexus/ MB/ BMW. Obviously your Idea isn't working (RL) here in the States. Its broke fix it, you know what we want, and if you do stick to your possible 300hp v6's it sure better be under 50k and look good other wise you still be a caboost behind like 5 others wondering what happened.

If its a money thing pull it off the line and focus on something else, either do it right or don't do it at all. Or just produce it only in Japan.

How much money you think they lost with the failure of the RL?
Wake up Mr. Sugiyama.

When it comes to wants (material things) we Americans have a bad habit of saying screw the enviornment or anything else that may get in the way of what we want just gimme I got the money as long as I like it, thats harsh and of course I'm generalizing but its the hard core truth.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts