Acura Legend Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Banned
3,429 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Any of you guys have anything to say about the 2004 Audi A6?

I know it comes with the 3.0 V6, the 4.2V8, and the 2.7T. I'm looking at adding another car to the fleet and I want something along the lines of my RL...just not another one because I already have 2.

Here's my list

1.) Audi A6
2.) Acura TL
3.) Nissan Maxima

Let me know your opinions :)

·
FRISCO LEGEND BABY!!!!
9,585 Posts
My boss owns an Audi. Funny part was, he was coming back to work from his lunch on the freeway. Then all of a sudden, the car shuts off. So he pulls over and tries to start it, but no budge. So he took the car back to the dealership and all they did was updated the software on the car. It ran perfectly after that. Its kinda weird how the car knows the software is out-of-date.

·
I'van der Rohe
13,069 Posts
to be honest, Since i'm a Fat Cat, and I love big cars, I'd go with a W140 benz...But for you, i'd probably suggest a Chrysler 300C, a Maxima.

But also, there's nothing like the Rush you get from a TurboCharged car. So with that said, if you get the Audi A6, get nothing but the Turbocharged Version. If I'm going to buy a european car, the only way i fox with them is if they're turbocharged. I realized this just now...Mercedes, BMW, Volkswagen, Audi, Volvo...none of them get my attention if they're not turbocharged LOL! Too many things can go wrong to be stuck with a lamebrain car.

A6 2.7 turbo :bigok: I have to warn you though, if the car has been abused or run hard, it's possible the turbos are shot, and you'll have to replace them. also, if you get an upgraded ECU and drive the car into the ground, the turbos could be shot...the Tipple K turbos don't like lots of boost, but there's kits to change over to garrett units that i'm told.

just know it's an EXPENSIVE car to own. In that instance, I'd say "i only fox with the A8"

what part does that play in car choice for you, i'm curious? Crash safety?
For him, i'm not sure.

As a general rule, that plays in, crash worthiness, durability, presumed quality (interior part fitment and noise abatement), even down to the serenity of the ride and the stability of the car in an emergency avoidance maneuver.

noodle chassis cars feel "cheap"

·
Registered
3,994 Posts
Audi owners seem to change cars when the warranty runs out.
Do not buy a used one unless its cheap, and owned by an enthusiast very anal about having all the dealer servicing done.

The A6 is a great choice for a used luxury car.

I owned an used Audi 5000 for 4 years. For YEARS I regreted selling it when the tranny let go. Was my ex -MILs old car :giggle: That car drove like a dream. In fact to be honest, it drove better in town than my Legend as it was quieter, more comfortable and definately smoother.

Interestly, the MIL replaced the Audi with a G1 Legend and my ex-wife ended up being given that car - and that tranny need THREE changes. :giggle: :giggle:

·
SGM / Type F
3,699 Posts
Audi's are definitely a quality ride, but expensive to acquire, maintain an repair. Of the motor choices unless you're specifically looking for V8 grunt, the twin k03 2.7L is the way to go. Nuclear is right, because of the S4 market there are tons of aftermarket options for that motor and it's proven itself to be a reliable turbo engine.

On exterior looks I'm not big on the C5 platform's 'rounded' rear end. I prefer the newer C6 (05+). From your list I like the looks of the TL best. Also the Audi AWD quattro system is an absolute road handling dream, but the TL's AWD isn't shabby either. The Audi's interior fit/finish/quality is way ahead of either of the other two cars, although the Acura is not bad.

It comes down to what you're looking for in a car I suppose. For power, interior fit/finish and upgradeability get the A6 (but keep in mind it is by far the most expensive of the three to own). For exterior looks, reliability and fuel economy go with the TL. I'm not a Nissan guy so can't tell you much about the Maxima's.

·
Registered
2,207 Posts
what part does that play in car choice for you, i'm curious? Crash safety?
Honestly, I don't think it'll necessarily be unsafe.

I prefered the stiffer chassis mostly because it will handle AND ride much better. With the Maxima, like Wheelhop mentioned earlier in another thread, it has to have a stiff suspension with shorter travel to handle good and that usually means the ride suffers but it'll still wheelhop. But with the BMW the chassis is so stiff the suspension can be supple and allow lots of suspension travel for a smooth ride while being just as grippy in the curves.

Plus a stiffer chassis makes just about everything else better as well. The steering control and feel can be very precise and intuitive. The car will feel more solid and ride quieter. The stiffer chassis would also be better for power mods because it can handle high power 'chassis twisting' engines and put the power to the ground better.

Pretty much what Ivan said.lol

But the Max is cheaper to own.

·
Registered
346 Posts
I'm surprised a BMW 530i isn't on that list. I used to own one (2004) before trading it in for the sportier 335i and it was one of the best cars I've ever had. The handling is unparalleled, especially when compared to the Audi, and fit and finish is great. It's also priced out similarly with the A6 if not better, yet much more reliable.

I believe a 530i from 03-04 is currently going for approximately $28-35K, although I don't know your price range. My old lease on the 530i was about $750 a month with $6K down payment, which is probably where it's still close to today if you're looking to buy new.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.