Acura Legend Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone:

I recently bought the most beautiful 133,000 mile car in the world.

91' LS Sedan - very sweet

I wanted to know - does anyone who has replaced the factory system want to sell me their old 200w amp so I can trade it with my 80w?

Will this work?

Anyone have any advice on what alternatives I have for replacing this amp. I want to keep the stock system though.

Thanks

wesquire

·
Registered
3,728 Posts
wesquire said:
Hey everyone:

I recently bought the most beautiful 133,000 mile car in the world.

91' LS Sedan - very sweet

I wanted to know - does anyone who has replaced the factory system want to sell me their old 200w amp so I can trade it with my 80w?

Will this work?

Anyone have any advice on what alternatives I have for replacing this amp. I want to keep the stock system though.

Thanks

wesquire
Yes, it will wrok. The 200W amp can be swapped with the ealier 80w amp .

·
0000$$$$0000####0000
4,926 Posts
wesquire said:
So does anyone have one of the Bose 200w amps sitting around that they would like to part with for some cash?

Please let me know:p
I actually have mine, but what kind of cash are you talking about. I personally don't feel comfortable selling the BOSE amp to people I know on the forums, simply because I don't know how long it will last. We as owners all know that the BOSE amp is not a totally reliable part. Mine was working when I took it out, but I don't know how long it will continue to work. For that reason, I was planning on keeping mine, but I would consider it, but It would really depend on the deal. As like I said, I don't feel real comfortable selling a used BOSE amp to anyone.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I dont mind taking that risk - I guess it all depends on what you guys think they are worth.

I was thinking something like $40 + shipping.

I dont really know what they are worth though.

·
Registered
3,728 Posts
wesquire said:
I dont mind taking that risk - I guess it all depends on what you guys think they are worth.

I was thinking something like $40 + shipping.

I dont really know what they are worth though.
Actually they're worth a bit more than that. The 80watt amp typically go for $100 on ebay, the 200w have gone for as high as $200.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
wow - well i guess i didnt realize that they went that high. I suppose I dont want to spend that kind of money on what you guys seem to think is not exactly a wonderful product.

We could negotiate something - I guess what I'm looking for is a motivated seller. Anyone wanna do some dealing?

Thanks everyone for all the info - its a big help

WW

·
0000$$$$0000####0000
4,926 Posts
Re: Wowee!

Sh0ck3d said:
If anyone has ANY 200w amp for sale cheap let me know! I need something to push a couple of Rockford 8" subs fairly well.
We are actually talking about the stock OEM BOSE 200W amp found on the Premium BOSE system for the Legends, and this amp will in no way be enough to power any subs. In realily, it is not much more powerful than the 80W BOSE system.

This is how they can claim 200W.

It is 200W peak.
It is actually 4 50W peak mono amps mounted in one chassis to make that 4 channel amp.
Break that down to RMS power and you are looking at roughly 25WRMS per channel.

Now take the 80W amp
Same deal, it is 20W peak for channel
10WRMS per channel/

The 200W amp has roughly double the power, so that means roughly a 3bd gain in perceived volume. That is about 2-3 clicks higher on the volume knob.

G

·
Couldn't you technically use any 200W amp that works at 2ohms. There shouldn't be many differences between that and the bose amp, I would think. All of the EQ stuff is handled at the deck level right?

G

·
Re: Re: Wowee!

ChrisK said:

We are actually talking about the stock OEM BOSE 200W amp found on the Premium BOSE system for the Legends, and this amp will in no way be enough to power any subs. In realily, it is not much more powerful than the 80W BOSE system.

This is how they can claim 200W.

It is 200W peak.
It is actually 4 50W peak mono amps mounted in one chassis to make that 4 channel amp.
Break that down to RMS power and you are looking at roughly 25WRMS per channel.

Now take the 80W amp
Same deal, it is 20W peak for channel
10WRMS per channel/

The 200W amp has roughly double the power, so that means roughly a 3bd gain in perceived volume. That is about 2-3 clicks higher on the volume knob.
I usually hear people say that the premium system sounds better, but actually the premium 200W system sounds almost identical to the stock one that I used to have. It just depends on what 80W system you have, I had the one with the 2200 Deck and the tweeters all the way around. Sounded amazing, but then I wanted to add a sub so I decided to change the headunit, and it sounds even better :).

·
Registered
1,357 Posts
I'm interested in swapping to the 200w amp, my 80w is starting to crap out. If anyone has a good price in mind, send me a PM.:cool:

·
Registered
138 Posts
Bose speaker/amp replacement

SpeedDemon said:
I usually hear people say that the premium system sounds better, but actually the premium 200W system sounds almost identical to the stock one that I used to have. It just depends on what 80W system you have, I had the one with the 2200 Deck and the tweeters all the way around. Sounded amazing, but then I wanted to add a sub so I decided to change the headunit, and it sounds even better :).
Ok. I'v etried to search the threads but havent found the info I am looking for.

I have a '91 LS Sedan with Bose system. I know that I can replace the speakers with virtually no problem, just slightly lower overall volume because of 2 ohm-4ohm matching.

However, I'd like to install an Audiobahn 4-channel amp as well. My car has the amp behind the back seat, not individually amplified speakers or an internal amp in the head unit.

Can I do all this and if so, how?

·
Registered
3,728 Posts
Re: Bose speaker/amp replacement

csamos2 said:

Ok. I'v etried to search the threads but havent found the info I am looking for.

I have a '91 LS Sedan with Bose system. I know that I can replace the speakers with virtually no problem, just slightly lower overall volume because of 2 ohm-4ohm matching.

However, I'd like to install an Audiobahn 4-channel amp as well. My car has the amp behind the back seat, not individually amplified speakers or an internal amp in the head unit.

Can I do all this and if so, how?
Your car has an Amp behind the rear seats

·
Registered
138 Posts
Re: Re: Bose speaker/amp replacement

WhiteLegend said:

Your car has an Amp behind the rear seats
Yes, I'm aware there is an amp behind the rear seat. My question is, can I install an aftermarket amp and speaker without having to re-wire teh entire car? What is the procedure?

Thanks!

·
Registered
3,728 Posts
Re: Re: Re: Bose speaker/amp replacement

csamos2 said:

Yes, I'm aware there is an amp behind the rear seat. My question is, can I install an aftermarket amp and speaker without having to re-wire teh entire car? What is the procedure?

Thanks!
Yes, you need to re-wire the car. You'll need to wire the amp to the stock HU, and wire the speakers to the amp. Actually for the speakers you can just take the wires on the output of the stock bose amp and wire them to your new amp. The tricky part is wire the stock HU to the new amp, since the stock HU doesn't have RCA outputs, and most amps only accepts RCA inputs

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.