Acura Legend Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
1,739 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Guys,

Looking to get a 2nd car for around $16,000. I have a 94 L which I'd like to replace with a 95 LS 6 speed but I have a lien on it and they won't let me take out another loan if I sell it. So I'm stuck with the 94 Legend L ( but not complaining though.) I want to get something fast, 8 cylinder, 5, pref 6 gears. Standard is a must!!! I don't like Camaro's, TA's are OK. I really want a supra with TT's but can;t find one that cheap - even on ebay. I test drive a 99 Cobra convertible today which was tight but I'm trying to stay away from Ford - never had much luck with them. I was thinking a 300ZX with tt. Any other ideas??

·
Registered
541 Posts
How bout a Pontiac Firebird?

·
Registered
1,739 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hey,

Firebirds are only 6 cylinders unless they are Formulas which are 8. So I'd go with a TA over a firebird. Everyone has one though so I want something that isn't as popular. Thx man

·
Registered
655 Posts
you can always add turbo to naturally asp. car

your insurance will be less and more cars will be in your price range, that will be comparable to the v8 speed.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Keep in mind Supra's, 300z's, 3000 VR-4 and RX7's are all 6 cylinders.

I'd go with a TA or camaro. You'll be able to buy a camaro/TA in better condition for 16000 then the cars listed above.

You probably could also get your hands on a Vette.

·
502MotorSports.com
9,296 Posts
LiasLegend said:
Keep in mind Supra's, 300z's, 3000 VR-4 and RX7's are all 6 cylinders.

I'd go with a TA or camaro. You'll be able to buy a camaro/TA in better condition for 16000 then the cars listed above.

You probably could also get your hands on Vette.
true, but can be built up to run even faster than their v8 counterparts

·
0000$$$$0000####0000
4,926 Posts
G2 MR2 Turbo. Its only a 4 cylinder, but it has enormous potential. You can pick them up for about $8-$10K, and add lots of turbo upgrades for a few thousand and have well over 400HP.

·
Registered
3,198 Posts
It depends on what you want. you already have luxury now, so I would spend the $$$ on a sports car, preferably something with potential (aftermarket) unlike the legend. My friend is also in the same situation as you. He wants to spend about $25000 CDN (~$16000US) on a sports car.

I told him that if I wanted a sports car for that kinda $$$, I would probably get a firebird formula or an SS camaro. RWD, V8, lotsa power, convertible too. I actually like those cars alot, and would consider buying one of I could find one that has not been driven like it was built to.

I agree with the other guys on the Rx7, Supra TT, and M3..... but those cars seem to be out of your price range. The only car I could see in your price range would be a 300zx TT.... but those are two seater, so you need to figure out whats practical for you.

I have heard some of the older 300zx TT are prone to Turbo failure if not taken care of properly... so watch out for that.

Stay away from the Mustangs though.... the new ones anyways. If you want a car for cheap with lots of power, and lots of potential, you can never beat an old 5.0L mustang. Tons of aftermarket support, and those cars are so fast... almost too fast. Every young person I know who has owned one has crashed it. The world record for fastest highway speed is a 5.0L Mustang sooped to the tits, at around 275MPH ...... so lots of potential there. :)

·
Registered
275 Posts
Leon Millette said:

true, but can be built up to run even faster than their v8 counterparts
That's true but he could also build up the v8's as well. Turbo kits for a TA/Camaro produce insane hp. It would cost a small fortune to make a Supra compete with that.

Or a cheaper route would be NOS. Those bigger engines can take a bigger shot.

He should pick what appeals to him.

·
502MotorSports.com
9,296 Posts
LiasLegend said:

That's true but he could also build up the v8's as well. Turbo kits for a TA/Camaro produce insane hp. It would cost a small fortune to make a Supra compete with that.

Or a cheaper route would be NOS. Those bigger engines can take a bigger shot.

He should pick what appeals to him.
this is true...
there's a guy at work who may sell me his 90-something z28...then I can fool with it....5 speed/ T Tops, too

LT1 anyone?

·
Registered
275 Posts
Leon Millette said:

this is true...
there's a guy at work who may sell me his 90-something z28...then I can fool with it....5 speed/ T Tops, too

LT1 anyone?
At least you won't have any problems with after-market parts:D

·
Registered
139 Posts
If you want something sporty, V8, 5 spd, rear wheel drive, cheap, and not very common get a Fiero and put a 350 chevy into it. That would stay well under your budget and get you an amazingly fast car. If you get a 1988 then the suspension was designed by Lotus. I've never driven a V8 powered one but I've taken the V6s for a ride and they are pretty **** quick as it is. If you want to check them out go here.
http://www.v8archie.com/
Just an idea.

·
Registered
1,739 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Guys,

It's great that you guys are so giving with your advice - I appreciate everyones answers. After going through it all I am still unsure. I really like the idea of suuping (sp?) up a 6-cylinder but Tulsa, Oklahoma isn't quite known for it's array of performance shops. We have about 3, and if you don't drive an integra, eclipse, or civic then they ain't got anything for you!!!

Also, I'm a big fan of the sound of an 8 cylinder, that deep throaty noise sounds awesome. I am kind of leaning towards a Cobra convertible. Anyone had any experience with them?? Keep the answers coming though - it's great to hear everyones opinion. Thx once again - peace

Drinkdontdrive

·
Registered
3,198 Posts
LiasLegend said:
Aren't those notorious for poor quality?
I think so.... but a friend told me that one year of the fiero GT was faster than the corvette, and consequently they scrapped the car all together because a cheap little sports car could beat their flagship classic sports car. Kinda sounds like the buick grand national situation.

I saw one at the track and they are prettty quick for a chev...

·
Registered
139 Posts
Mckenzie93 said:

I saw one at the track and they are prettty quick for a chev...
You mean a Pontiac? Anyway, the earlier ones had problems but the 87s and 88s were pretty well sorted out, especially the 88s. They are also one of the only american made mid engine production cars, which is pretty cool by itself. I think there was one other, maybe..... Throw a mildly tuned corvette engine into one and it'll spank anything on the road, including most supercars like Ferraris and Porsches. I heard of one guy putting a Corvette Z06 engine into his Fiero, scary stuff.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts