Acura Legend Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
541 Posts
wow, thats pretty horrible. how can a judge do that? you cant predict what the OTHER driver will do, even though he initiated, he should not pay for what the OTHER driver did.

·
I'm too sexy for my car
2,496 Posts
damm, thats real sad because from that one accident, many peoples live have been changed forever. I hope people open up their eyes and realize that racing cannot only ruin your life but it can ruin the lifes of innocent people on the streets. Just be careful

·
Registered
864 Posts
I think the verdict was too severe. I think because the lamborghini driver died, they put all the blame on corvette driver. Which is not right. Think of all the people who initiated races, if you are part of that race and the other person ran into someone, should you be held totally responsible?
I dont think so, blame should be equally put on. Maybe more so on the other guy who crashed.

·
Registered
3,728 Posts
I think the verdict serve them right. illegal street races has no place in this society, all it does it harm innocent people. And for WHAT? To claim that your car is faster than the other car? BIG DEAL!!! People's lives are worth a lot more.

I hate it when I see people say, "I know what I'm doing when I street race" or "I becareful when I street race". The fact is you should not be street racing in the first place! When you are going that fast on a street or surface that wasn't designed for that kind of speed, it doesn't matter how good your driving skills are or how careful you are, all sort of SH!T can go wrong. You just don't know. Keep it on the tracks, it's not worth it!

And for those of you who is saying the punishment is too harsh, imagine if it was your loved ones who were the innocent people killed, because 2 stupid kids wanted to showoff their ego. Would you still be saying the same thing? Think about that.

·
Registered
9,142 Posts
I do feel for the loss of life, but I do not believe that the judgement was right. They didn't charge the driver that killed the people, he died too. Since there was no one to blame they charged the driver of the other car. If I race someone, I am not responsible for their mistakes! They said it was his fault because he started the race. I would like to see the factual exidence to back that up! Just my .02! I will run on the street, but I keep my eyes open. I know anything can happen. I could pass up a race at a light, then get T-boned at the next one. If I had raced I would be alive! That is just like stopping smoking, then getting hit by a bus. The reality is you never know what is going to happen in any part of life. I will not ever let the fear of what could happen hold me back in life.
Later!
Lee

·
Registered
3,728 Posts
sleeprlegendcp said:
I do feel for the loss of life, but I do not believe that the judgement was right. They didn't charge the driver that killed the people, he died too. Since there was no one to blame they charged the driver of the other car. If I race someone, I am not responsible for their mistakes! They said it was his fault because he started the race. I would like to see the factual exidence to back that up! Just my .02! I will run on the street, but I keep my eyes open. I know anything can happen. I could pass up a race at a light, then get T-boned at the next one. If I had raced I would be alive! That is just like stopping smoking, then getting hit by a bus. The reality is you never know what is going to happen in any part of life. I will not ever let the fear of what could happen hold me back in life.
Later!
Lee
Case and point:rolleyes:

·
Registered
9,142 Posts
glad to prove you paranoid view. You had better watch out for busses, ticks, smoke, bright lights, any open flame, driving any automobile! Basically if you want to live your safe life you need to run off into the woods and hide from society. That is your only option, but then you still got bears and many other things to kill you. My only point is you don't know what is going to happen in anything, but that doesn't stop you!
Later!
Lee

·
Registered
3,728 Posts
sleeprlegendcp said:
glad to prove you paranoid view. You had better watch out for busses, ticks, smoke, bright lights, any open flame, driving any automobile! Basically if you want to live your safe life you need to run off into the woods and hide from society. That is your only option, but then you still got bears and many other things to kill you. My only point is you don't know what is going to happen in anything, but that doesn't stop you!
Later!
Lee
You missed my point completely. My concerns wasn't for you, I could really care less if you die due to the results of your own stupidity. If you want to drive 100mph down a city street, then crash into a tree and dies. Be my guess, I don't have a problem with that. My problem start with you when you crash into a school bus full of innocent children and kills the kids.

You're right about never knowing what's gonna happen in ones life. If anything happens to me due to something I have no control over, then [email protected], that sux, my bad luck. But doesn't mean I'm going to go out there a look for my maker whenever I get a chance.

We live in a society where there are consequences to every action and decision we make. The driver of the corvette decided to race, and it resulted in the death of innocent people. He must suffer the consequences of his actions. He deserved the verdict, because the whole point of 2nd degree manslaughter means the defendant's INDIRCT actions caused the death of the victim. If the driver of the Lambo was alive, he probably would have gotten a vehicular homicide charge, which is comparable to 1st degree manslaughter or 2nd Degree murder. He should feel lucky!

Anyways, my bottom line is this. I don't want to see anyone die, and that include you. Live and enjoy your Legend, much better than crash your legend and die. Don't you think? Be safe. Peace

·
Registered
9,142 Posts
I do understand your point. But I have a little diferent view. First of all I was not suppose to live past 8 years old, so I try and squeeze as much out of what I can get. Second, I can not tell others to not street race when I know I do it myself. Third, When I do street race I keep the other cars on the road as way more of a priority than any race, pride, my own car, and even my own life (if it ever comes to that). Fourth, I am selective about my racing situations. I almost exclusively race on the interstate. I know there are still obsticles on the interstate, but as far a public roads go it is one of the safest places to achieve high speed. On that note I would also like to bring the Gum Ball 3000 race to your attention. They just raced from NY to LA. You can download the video from a post on this forum. They achieved speeds of 207MPH! They did do a few extreme moves, but most of the time they saved it for open road. Fifth, I have been "almost killed" more times at low speed and due to other drivers not paying attention. In a lot of these situation a normal driver would have had a horrible accident. Due to my racing experience, legally and il-legally, I was capable of avoiding the situation. Lastly, I have been in my fair share of accidents. All of them have been below the speed limit! The causes have ranged from a driver running a stop sign to a big puddle. Even in these accident I manuvered my car, barely, to avoid serious injury to anyone else. I have spun it into the trees instead of t-boning that moron who ran the stop sign. I did a 180 at 60 MPH and ditched the car when I hit the puddle. In both of these situation I made concious decisions to not harm any other being at my own expense. I would have also never been able to make those moves without my racing experience.

Just to end this,
I believe each person is entitled to their own views, and their own safety. I do not intrude on that.

Later!
Lee

·
0000$$$$0000####0000
4,926 Posts
The verdict was correct IMHO. While I will not say to anyone one way or the other about street racing, the Corvette guy participated in a felony which resulted in a death. How can you NOT give him manslaugher? It is 2nd degree man slaugher at that? I guess you could argue that he should have gotten neglegient homicide though. I' m not sure which one holds a higher sentence. Its like if you participate in a robery and you are the driver of the getaway car. If your partner kills a guy in the crime, you are charged in murder as well. As it should be.

Have you ever noticed on a traffic ticket there are check boxes that the officer checks off that says, Traffic Infraction, or Traffic Crime? They commited a crime when they reached the speeds they did, so it was a felony.

But, I'm no lawer or law student, so I may not have it all right.

·
Registered
120 Posts
As someone that races whenever the opportunity presents itself,
I am now very concious of the fact that I have no control over what the other driver does. This scares me in that it should scare
anyone else that street races. You as I could be convicted for what the moron your racing does. Whether he blows out a tire or crosses a double line and causes an accident, we are responsible according to the law. This makes me think twice about street racing because no matter how good judgement I have the moron I'm racing may not have the same judgement or skills that I have, however I will be held accountable as anyone who street races, for the shortcomings of the other driver.

·
Registered
9,142 Posts
My only comment is that they gotta get my tag # or something to catch me first. If I am racing, and some fool jumps off a bridge, I am not stopping. I won!
Later!
Lee

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
[email protected]

Dam That is so mean but a good point! lol

Did all you guys see the pics of the accident? IT was really bad.

G

·
Oh god, that verdict just makes me sick. Our justice system makes me furious some time. The guy never had any intention probably of hurting someone and I doubt that this guy ever would have crossed the double yellow line like the idiot in the lambro. I have raced many times before, and I never never never do it when there are cars that I have to be in the lane right next to. I will only continue to race on a road that is wide if I can be like 2 to 3 lanes away from a car because people are idiots and will change lanes without looking. I don't even want to talk anymore about this because it makes me so sick even though there is so much more I could say.

·
Registered
3,728 Posts
SpeedDemon said:
Oh god, that verdict just makes me sick. Our justice system makes me furious some time. The guy never had any intention probably of hurting someone and I doubt that this guy ever would have crossed the double yellow line like the idiot in the lambro. I have raced many times before, and I never never never do it when there are cars that I have to be in the lane right next to. I will only continue to race on a road that is wide if I can be like 2 to 3 lanes away from a car because people are idiots and will change lanes without looking. I don't even want to talk anymore about this because it makes me so sick even though there is so much more I could say.
You guys needs to understand the wording of the law. Intent is not required in manslaughter charges. I'm sure no one intended to hurt anyone, but fact is that the vette's driver's action DID play a part in the the victim's death, no one can deny that! And he is only paying for the part he played, like I said before, he could have gotten way more severe charges if he was the direct cause of the accident. You can't honestly think that the driver of the vette has absolutely no responsibilty in the case!

If you think the verdict is unfair, tell me what the vette driver should have gotten? Walk free and face no consequences what so ever? I agree our justice system isn't the best, but in the case, justice did prevail.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts