Acura Legend Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
449 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wondering what most people favor. I have 3 12w6. I like them but i've never heard the aluminum's just know that they're some bad ass subs. Wondering if any of you have heard the both in person and what u think.

·
Registered
139 Posts
I have heard both speakers and I think I like the W6s better. In my opinion they have a cleaner bass when you turn it way up, and having three will give you much louder bass in general. But if you do want to switch I'll take the JLs

·
Registered
614 Posts
I have heard both speakers... 2 12w6 powered by a zapco and 2 12 eclipse aluminum powered by an xtant 1001d. Imo the eclipse sounded a lot more defined and musical. If i were to choose a sub, i would go with 2 12in crystal cmp subs. But out of the two you listed... definately the eclipse.

·
Registered
327 Posts
A BIG factor is what amp you are planning to run the woofers with. I have heard/installed speakers that were amazing, but with wrong amp they sounded BAD. With the eclipse I would go with the PG zti600(or something like that) because I did a friends truck (explorer) with that amp and 4 eclipse 15's and it sounded AMAZING (first we tried the Zapco AMG650 but it did not even have enough power to run 1 so we knew we had to go BIG. The Zapco was a 5 channel amp to do everything with one channel just for the subs, but it just did not have enough power)

The eclipse take a larger amount of power to run them, but when they have enough they sound amazing and especially if you are going for the "show" look because they are much more eye pleasing than the JL's

Good Luck,
Mark

AKA : Legendmap

·
Registered
449 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
right now i'm pushing the JL with an 800a2 bridge at 4 ohms mono. I plan on buying a JBL BP1200.1 as a sub amp. They do about 1375 watts on the bench. Best part is they can run at 2 ohms all day long and doesn't ever heat up. I've seen them run at 1 ohm with no increase of power but still no clipping or shutting off which is pretty impressive for an amp that you can buy for about 300.

·
Registered
449 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
you still got a lot of catching up to do joey in both show and audio joey. I'm already slowing down to wait for you man. Seems like I'm the only bay area sedan that's representing bro. LOLZ

·
Registered
167 Posts
Sorry man... snowboarding season's broke my pockets! I got an all new set up of everything- board bindings boots jacket pants etc... I'M BROKE!!! I gotta scrape scrills just to get myself some lift tickets! lol

·
Registered
167 Posts
thanx wallstrum

I've already swooped up that card... the snowbomb guys came to my school and i jumped on that deal quick. free lift ticket for northstar or sierra plus 4 free rentals and a bunch of other discounts.

·
Registered
99 Posts
I can't really comment on 2 subs...but if it were one....

I used push a 88012 DVC with a PPI PC 1400 in a G2 GSR 'Teg. The speaker was in a .85 cubic inch box and with about 13.8 volts off the alternator, I was getting about 470 watts out of the PPI with the sub wired for 2 ohm. Pretty good sound. I moved the box up to 1.15 cubic inches and the sound was much better. In this setup I was using a high quality amp but due to box size was not getting the full potential from the sub. Haveing a properly matched box size is VERY important to the subs overall performance. From a qualtiy of sound standpoint, the Eclipse 88 series is among the best. With highly rigid, but light wieght aluminium (or titanium) the speakers ability to acuratly reproduce low frequency bass is superb. I once listened to a GMC 2500 series SUV (Tahoe?) with 2 15" Ti subs. Each had its own 800 watt PPI amp. We sampled some classical music with heavy percussion. (Classical music can provide a very clean reference - even if you don't like that music.) Amazing sound.

Looking at the meterials used in JL subs versus Eclipse, I will always recomend Eclipse. The basket is more robust, the spider stronger, and the surrounds much thinker. Many installers and compettitors might recommend JL, but if you have the $$, get the Eclipse 88 series.

Either way you are going to have a lot of base. If you want thump, get more cheaper subs. If you want sound quality, get the Eclipse subs.

·
Registered
1,052 Posts
hey sup everyone just wondering . do you think there is enough room in the trunk to fit 1 18 210s and 2 6x9 subs? i am waitn for my friend to give me his 18s and i have 2 10 extreme competition Ma audio ubs ad a pair of 6x9 subs already you think there is a way to custom fit this? like take out my back seat and make allthe subs there. do yall think this is a good idea or should i go wth somethin else. need som feedback please thanks eveythng i have is ma audio. amp is top MA audio amps.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts