Acura-legend.com banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ive searched and havent really found anything on this topic so hre it goes...i have a 91 ls and i think i might have a bhg...ive already replaced the hoses, thermostat and radiator but it still starts to warm up if im sitting in bumper to bumper traffic for too long...i was thinking that instead of just fixing the hg was it possible to swap out the whole engine out for a smalled 4 cylinder engine from say an odyssey or crv or even an accord? i love the body style of the legend so i just wanted to see if it was possible to go a lil smaller...i know i would be losing hp but those days of making my car faster have come and gone, now i just want high mpg and a good looking comfortabel ride. any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated

·
because i can.
10,163 Posts
Buy a cb7 Accord...:(

EDIT: Oh my bad itlooks like you already have a 92....either way, there is no easy way to put any other engine besides a c32a into a G2 Legend...

·
FRISCO LEGEND BABY!!!!
9,302 Posts
Are you serious!!! If you put a 4 cylinder in the Legend, thats like moving a tank. Go get a beater car. Just to warn you, your gonna get flamed for asking that question on the G2 section.

·
because i can.
10,163 Posts
Naw I dont think he should get flamed...I can see where he's coming from:

~Nice styling
~V6 with a BHG
~Gas Prices in SoCal...

Makes sense to me to at least ask...but yeah again...not too doable man...sorry...

·
FRISCO LEGEND BABY!!!!
9,302 Posts
Its best to go buy a Accord and drive that around. If you have space in the garage or driveway, you could fix the BHG, if you have time.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
the 91 legend is only like 110lbs more than the 95 odyssey (according to consumer guide auto) so i dont thing it would be "like moving a tank"...i know it wont be as fuun to drive as it is right now, but ive driven an odyssey and it has good pick up...and why should i be flamed for asking a simple question? thanks sam for the response, and yes i do own a 92 accord...well i did until i got t-boned on the freeway hence why i got the legend...

·
Registered
256 Posts
it would take a ridiculous amount of modification. get an acura tl 2.5. my brother had one with leather and an alpine head unit and infinity speakers and two infinity 12's with a limo tint and it was an amazing car. good gas mileage and it was comfortable.

·
FRISCO LEGEND BABY!!!!
9,302 Posts
Ouch sorry about the Accord, I'm just saying, I ain't flamin' ya, but it kinda happened before when someone asked that same question. I'm just tryin' to help ya out. But if your planning on doing the swap, look around, I know its possible, but thats gonna be a lot of $$$.

·
Registered
8,258 Posts
it would take a ridiculous amount of modification. get an acura tl 2.5. my brother had one with leather and an alpine head unit and infinity speakers and two infinity 12's with a limo tint and it was an amazing car. good gas mileage and it was comfortable.
they also require premium and get about the same MPG as the type I motor.

·
I'van der Rohe
12,824 Posts
^yep

Here's the thing. The more your car weighs the more power it takes to move it. 4 cylinders end up being less efficient as the power required of them increases due to mass and aerodynamics.

inherently you'll hurt the fuel consumption of the 4cylinder by stuffing it into a 3500lbs car.

That said, it's entirely possible to throw a 4 cylinder in there. hell, even turbocharge it if you want. The only thing limiting you is your imagination and your wallet.

·
SGM / Type F
3,653 Posts
That said, it's entirely possible to throw a 4 cylinder in there. hell, even turbocharge it if you want. The only thing limiting you is your imagination and your wallet.
Well said. Like others have already claimed it is possible to put in a 4 banger into the Legend, but there is no way to simply drop one in. The cost of the custom fabrication and powertrain design modification would be far more than the acquisition cost of a gently used 4 cylinder Accord. If you decide to fix the BHG. which I would recommend if the rest of the car is in decent shape, then there is an experimental air induction technology being developed that some of us have been discussing, feel free to jump in:

http://www.acura-legend.com/vbullet...r-fuel-combustion-efficiency-any-good-119687/

·
Banned
14,692 Posts
if u want better MPG, goto the junk yard, get yourself a decent typeII motor. do a full rebuild it. back to oem specs, maybe a improved parts here and there.

I get 25-30mpg on my legend and its performance orientated, with only 10k on the motor since the rebuild. i couldn't be happier, its powerful, strong and can get good MPG even if i hit the track on the weeks, i haven't seen under 20mpg yet

·
Registered
113 Posts
For the amount of money that you'll be putting into the swap, you would be able to buy a fuel efficient 4 cylinder beater. Chances are, the beater will be faster than the modification your proposing will be.

·
Banned
14,692 Posts
look if you REALLY want to swap in a 4cylinder, i'd probably use a K motor. its by far the best honda has to offer right now.

since you aren't looking for mega performance, you can probably just drop in a K24, grab the 6spd with it. call it a day.

or a hybrid like k20 block k23/4 head, or something like that, with a turbo.

·
Life Ruiner
4,701 Posts
ive searched and havent really found anything on this topic so hre it goes...i have a 91 ls and i think i might have a bhg...ive already replaced the hoses, thermostat and radiator but it still starts to warm up if im sitting in bumper to bumper traffic for too long...i was thinking that instead of just fixing the hg was it possible to swap out the whole engine out for a smalled 4 cylinder engine from say an odyssey or crv or even an accord? i love the body style of the legend so i just wanted to see if it was possible to go a lil smaller...i know i would be losing hp but those days of making my car faster have come and gone, now i just want high mpg and a good looking comfortabel ride. any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated
Disconnect two coil packs, your pick & voila, 4 cylinder....

~Dv8

·
difficult to kill
710 Posts
^^

lol thats what i was thinking

1 - 20 of 21 Posts