Acura Legend Forum banner
1 - 20 of 86 Posts

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
im trying it out, using the lighter 5spd flywheel on my 6spd legend! the parts the shop were worried about working right seem to be ok now since they are the same part numbers as the 5spd.... if this works it will mean we(the 6spd owners) will be able to use the lighter faster reving 5spd flywheel and stronger overall clutch with our tranny's... i just hope it all works

·
Registered
202 Posts
Hasn't someone already done this...? I think Dv8 did this....

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
no ive talked to dv8 about this as far as i know no one has done this yet. if there is i would really like to talk to them about it

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
i know the fly wheels aren't the same part number but the shop was worried that the slave cylinder and the starter would not work with the 5 spd set up, but since the slave cylinder and the starter are the same partnumber everything should work fine.

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
all i can say right now, is that you need to get 5spd flywheel bolts becuase the 6spd bolts are way to long... the difference in the thickness of the 2 flywheel is about a 3/4" but that is the only parts you will need to get that i know of so far

·
Life Ruiner
4,701 Posts
Dave C ver2.0 said:
Type II 6 speeds require a dual mass flywheel. 5 spd flywheel is single mass. Whoever said same P/N is wrong.
if you use a 5spd flywheel, bolts and 5spd sprung clutch then everything should line up on a 6spd trans. Everything else is the same.

I would of done it but i didnt want to take chances. by the time i figured it could work i was way to anxiuos to put the engine back together and in and didnt want to go through the pain of sending my spec clutch back for an exchange.

~TRu Hybrid

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
the parts are in but the shop is just trying to work me into their schedule now... i will let you know as soon as i know what the outcome is

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
talked to the shop today and it will be done tomorrow!!! I hope it works, im gonna be pissed if it doesn't

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
WOW.. it works great... for smoother than my 5spd legend did. gave a lil blip of the throttle from idle popped right up past 4k like nothing idles down a lot faster too... the break in period is going to suck, cant open 'er up for the next 500 miles.
`tru hybrid :giggle:

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
sorry but your going to have to elaborate on that one...cuase to me its seems like it would be fine, just like a 5 spd. legend; same set up and they dont have problems. i have felt no vibrations at any speed or RPM.

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
How does the car drive? Is it a lot more responsive off the line and from below 2000? Do the revs drop a lot faster when shifting compared to the six speed setup? I'm really curious as to the differences you've noticed between setups, if you have time to elaborate.

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
alexc said:
How does the car drive? Is it a lot more responsive off the line and from below 2000? Do the revs drop a lot faster when shifting compared to the six speed setup? I'm really curious as to the differences you've noticed between setups, if you have time to elaborate.
the car drive great! it does feel more responsive in the low end, engaged the clutch and rolled at about 1000 then opened her up and felt a lot better then it did with the old setup. revs do go up and down faster. it engagement feels stock actually bettter than the other setup did, my engagement point is now right in the middle instead of on top with the 6spd clutch. How that answers your questions

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
Thanks for answering my questions! This is good info for all of us 6 speed owners, it means we can save about $1000 on a clutch job when it comes around. I'm thinking about having it done sooner anyway, because my flywheel chatters at idle and the throwout bearing squeals constantly when the clutch is out. It's kind of embarassing in parking lots and at stop lights. In your other thread, you mention getting a spec clutch. Which stage did you get? Does it chatter at idle or during engagement? Thanks for answering questions and posting up here, and for being the first to get this done.

http://www.legend-forum.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=60070

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 · (Edited)
alexc said:
Thanks for answering my questions! This is good info for all of us 6 speed owners, it means we can save about $1000 on a clutch job when it comes around. I'm thinking about having it done sooner anyway, because my flywheel chatters at idle and the throwout bearing squeals constantly when the clutch is out. It's kind of embarassing in parking lots and at stop lights. In your other thread, you mention getting a spec clutch. Which stage did you get? Does it chatter at idle or during engagement? Thanks for answering questions and posting up here, and for being the first to get this done.

http://www.legend-forum.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=60070
i only got a stage 1 which is almost like OEM. so no chatter at all. my car does idle a little high now, about 1k that can be adjusted.

P.S. my friend who owns velocity mustang performance is getting a dyno so when he gets that i will have some dyno numbers, and want to campare it to someone with relatively the same mods as me

·
Life Ruiner
4,701 Posts
badintentions said:
the car drive great! it does feel more responsive in the low end, engaged the clutch and rolled at about 1000 then opened her up and felt a lot better then it did with the old setup. revs do go up and down faster. it engagement feels stock actually bettter than the other setup did, my engagement point is now right in the middle instead of on top with the 6spd clutch. How that answers your questions
I knew it would work.

~TRu Hybrid

·
Registered
88 Posts
How do you tell the difference between the two flywheels?
I got a 6spd and a flywheel, etc, from a slavage yard, but they weren't sure
if the flywheel and tranny were from the same vehicle.
Also, if I've got a 5spd flywheel, I'll need a 5spd clutch? Yes/ No???
Thanks,
Fred
PS: If your wanting swaybars, get your orders in, we might be doing a re-run
on the rear bar also.

1 - 20 of 86 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.