Acura Legend Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
869 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This post is long so if you dont have the time to read everything (or are just lazy :D , just read whats in the bold print).

Ok heres the info first:

-122.000 miles
-both front engine mounts changed Thursday last week
-rear tranny mount replaced yesterday

The problem I am having is:

1) when I accelerate in any gear, most notably 1st and 2nd, then release the accelerator my car starts to buck back and forth like I'm braking hard then accelerating hard very quickly. This happens when I let off the accelerator quickly as opposed to easing off it gradually. Also, if I am going downhill in 2nd, approx. 25mph lets say, I can feel the car "pull" me foward out of my seat slightly towards the windshield. In fact, when I am braking in 2nd the car will feel this way (this is normal) but when I let off the brake the car will start rocking back and forth again like I described at first.

2) the shifter vibrates almost all the time, I don't know if this is normal since there are times when the shifter actually feels very stable.

I know that manual tranny cars usually transmit more of the feel of engine's
torque than autos, so something like accelerating and decelerating first will be more intense in a manual, but this just doesnt feel right.

I changed the tranny mount myself yesterday and the one I took out did not look broken or worn at all. The only thing which really differed from the new one was the old mount was colored light brown, similar to a rust type color.

I havent changed the mid mounts since they seem to stabilize the side to side motion of the car more than front to back.

This problem is also accompanied by a clunk sound that correlates to each back and forth movement the car makes. Changing the engine mounts made the most noticable difference in my ride, these motions are now not as bad as they were before, I would say they were reduced about %40. Does anyone have any suggestions?

P.S. Sorry for the long post but I could not find anything I didnt do already when using the search button, well actually, I havent tried this yet.

·
Registered
4,037 Posts
mmmm

I have the the same problem once in a while. Not as bad though. I do get the clunk sound and the vibration really bad, but as far as the driving experiance--not as bad as yours yet. My rear tranny mount is fine, and all the bolts connecting it to the engine. Since mine isn't that bad i haven't looked into it. I just thought it was from the raw power!! :D

·
Registered
869 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
swift said:
I have the the same problem once in a while. Not as bad though. I do get the clunk sound and the vibration really bad, but as far as the driving experiance--not as bad as yours yet. My rear tranny mount is fine, and all the bolts connecting it to the engine. Since mine isn't that bad i haven't looked into it. I just thought it was from the raw power!! :D
The sensation has definitely come down with the changing of the engine mounts but I wonder if the feeling is normal or not. This is my first car, and first time driving a manual transmission, I have driven my bro's 2000 auto civic previously, so Im trying to figure out whats normal and whats not. I think Im gonna test drive another manual legend coupe for comparison.

·
Registered
4,037 Posts
yup

I can think of it being the engine mounts also--just being worn out(bushings).

·
Registered
4,106 Posts
Perhaps the shifter needs to be rebuilt. In looking at the HELM (page 13-44 1992 Cpe Manual) there are several parts which could be worn.

·
Registered
869 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
LPB said:
Perhaps the shifter needs to be rebuilt. In looking at the HELM (page 13-44 1992 Cpe Manual) there are several parts which could be worn.
Does rebuilding the shifter necessitate removing the tranny? Are you referring to parts of the shift and torque rod assembly being worn?

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
misdeismo said:
1) when I accelerate in any gear, most notably 1st and 2nd, then release the accelerator my car starts to buck back and forth like I'm braking hard then accelerating hard very quickly. This happens when I let off the accelerator quickly as opposed to easing off it gradually. Also, if I am going downhill in 2nd, approx. 25mph lets say, I can feel the car "pull" me foward out of my seat slightly towards the windshield. In fact, when I am braking in 2nd the car will feel this way (this is normal) but when I let off the brake the car will start rocking back and forth again like I described at first.
This is completely normal behavior for a manual transmission. In an automatic car, the torque converter absorbs what would be the 'bucking back and forth', but in a manual, the engine and transmission are linked directly so any quick modulation of the gas pedal at low speed will result in much more direct feedback. The 'pulling you out of your seat' feeling is called engine braking. You will learn to drive smoothly with practice. At low speeds, do not make abrupt throttle adjustments, try to maintain at least a little pressure on the accelerator, and use neutral to coast instead of remaining in low gears with your foot off the gas.

·
Registered
869 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
alexc said:
This is completely normal behavior for a manual transmission. In an automatic car, the torque converter absorbs what would be the 'bucking back and forth', but in a manual, the engine and transmission are linked directly so any quick modulation of the gas pedal at low speed will result in much more direct feedback. The 'pulling you out of your seat' feeling is called engine braking. You will learn to drive smoothly with practice. At low speeds, do not make abrupt throttle adjustments, try to maintain at least a little pressure on the accelerator, and use neutral to coast instead of remaining in low gears with your foot off the gas.
Would it be accompanied with a clunking sound though?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.