Acura Legend Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I heard from someone that the LS sedans came with 6 speakers: 2 - 6.5's
2- 6 X 9's
2- tweeters

Is this true?

I would also like to know if I can continue to use my factory amp to power my speakers since I am getting an AIWA CD player.
Thanks in advance.

Sim Garcha
1991 Acura Legend LS
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
89 Posts
Yes it is true

The tweeters are mounted in the center overhead panel by the dome lights. Gently remove the lens over the dome light. This will reveal screws that will allow you to drop the whole assembly CAREFULLY. Above the light and switch assembly you will find a pair of tweeters. My experience with the 91 factory speakers says DONT change them unless they are "blown dead". The Legend has a nicely balanced system. I think they would be a bear to replace as they are small and installed pretty deeply. You are right on the 6X9 and 6.5 inch in the doors. Also exercise caution if you decide to mess with the rears. The covers will come off from the top side but you will probably bust off all the mounting tits...that is what I did. I have read that you can remove the entire rear shelf as a unit...have not tried it but would recommend you do!
Buy a huge amp first, especially if your speakers are working. They are very high quality for 1991 OEM technology.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,728 Posts
simgarcha said:
I heard from someone that the LS sedans came with 6 speakers: 2 - 6.5's
2- 6 X 9's
2- tweeters

Is this true?

I would also like to know if I can continue to use my factory amp to power my speakers since I am getting an AIWA CD player.
Thanks in advance.

Sim Garcha
1991 Acura Legend LS
No, you can't, if you want new headunit, you need to bypass the amp and install new speakers. Because the Bose LS system uses 1-2ohms speakers. All aftermarket decks are designed for 4 ohm speakers. So if run your stock 2ohm bose to the new deck, you will double the load on the deck, which will cause the deck to overheat and fry.
Do your self a favor, get new speakers. Bose sucks nuts anyways.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,728 Posts
Re: Yes it is true

likeparty said:
The tweeters are mounted in the center overhead panel by the dome lights. Gently remove the lens over the dome light. This will reveal screws that will allow you to drop the whole assembly CAREFULLY. Above the light and switch assembly you will find a pair of tweeters. My experience with the 91 factory speakers says DONT change them unless they are "blown dead". The Legend has a nicely balanced system. I think they would be a bear to replace as they are small and installed pretty deeply. You are right on the 6X9 and 6.5 inch in the doors. Also exercise caution if you decide to mess with the rears. The covers will come off from the top side but you will probably bust off all the mounting tits...that is what I did. I have read that you can remove the entire rear shelf as a unit...have not tried it but would recommend you do!
Buy a huge amp first, especially if your speakers are working. They are very high quality for 1991 OEM technology.
Like party, I assume you have a L coupe? simgarcha has a LS, his system is different than yours, you can't run a new amp to the bose speakers in the LS system.
 

·
Junior Mint
Joined
·
629 Posts
Damn, I didn't even know about the tweeters. I just figured that the car only had 4 speakers. sheesh.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,165 Posts
Re: Re: 6 Speakers?/Amp

WhiteLegend said:


No, you can't, if you want new headunit, you need to bypass the amp and install new speakers. Because the Bose LS system uses 1-2ohms speakers. All aftermarket decks are designed for 4 ohm speakers. So if run your stock 2ohm bose to the new deck, you will double the load on the deck, which will cause the deck to overheat and fry.
Do your self a favor, get new speakers. Bose sucks nuts anyways.
This is correct. If you replace your headunit you will need new speakers or a line converter to fix the problem with the different resistances.

However, bose does suck. I am ripping that crap out ASAP.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ok. Let me get this straight. I replaced my 6.5's already. I am about to install the new deck. Do i have do replace the amp or the 6 X 9's or both? If I do have to replace the 6 X 9's I would like to know how to do so. I am not sure how to take off the rear deck. Thanks in advance

Sim Garcha
1991 Acura Legend LS
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I knew there was something funny about the speakers. Cuz, when I was trying to face the system, it would never quite fade to each side. By the way, are the tweeters in the dome light beside the sun visors? Thanks again.

Sim Garcha
1991 Acura Legend LS
 

·
0000$$$$0000####0000
Joined
·
4,926 Posts
The tweeters in the dome light area are actually part of the OEM cell phone hands free kit. Now all the Legends came with them, and infact many of the later LS cars don't even have them anymore. According to my 91 L window sticker, it is a 6 speaker system. However, what that means is the front is actually a COAX speaker that they could as 4 speakers since it has a tweeter mounted to it, then the rear 6X9 is the last 2 speakers. On the later 93+ Legends, the speaker system is actually a 8 way speaker system with seperate tweeters for the front and rear, and the 6.5 mids and 6X9s as well.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
191 Posts
Re: Yes it is true

likeparty said:
The covers will come off from the top side but you will probably bust off all the mounting tits...that is what I did.
:p LOL :p
Never heard that terminology used in car audio before :p

-GR
 
1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Top