Acura Legend Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,643 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yup lost to a my buddy's new sentra SE-R not a spec-v but he has CAI. Here's the situation. I got my coupe 10 months ago. It had 101K miles with original clutch, now with 124K miles on odometer. Could bad clutch effect performance that much? I'm also behind in tuneup. I'm thinking at least a second and a half. We're even in first gear which seems to grab fine until I shift into 2nd, which the rpm stays at 5.5K rpm for about 3 seconds. My friend in passenger side was cracking up because my shifting was smoother than his IS300. And into 3rd... same thing happens. So... those of you with 6 speeds... when you shift are you suppose to feel your head flying back? I could never feel it. It sure does in 99 M3's... 240hp vs. 230hp isn't that much difference. Has anybody tried the stage II clutch from www.clutchmaster.com?? Sorry for long post.
I wasn't pissed off too much because I knew I would lose because of the clutch.:p

·
Registered
847 Posts
legendtype2 said:
Yup lost to a my buddy's new sentra SE-R not a spec-v but he has CAI. Here's the situation. I got my coupe 10 months ago. It had 101K miles with original clutch, now with 124K miles on odometer. Could bad clutch effect performance that much? I'm also behind in tuneup. I'm thinking at least a second and a half. We're even in first gear which seems to grab fine until I shift into 2nd, which the rpm stays at 5.5K rpm for about 3 seconds. My friend in passenger side was cracking up because my shifting was smoother than his IS300. And into 3rd... same thing happens. So... those of you with 6 speeds... when you shift are you suppose to feel your head flying back? I could never feel it. It sure does in 99 M3's... 240hp vs. 230hp isn't that much difference. Has anybody tried the stage II clutch from www.clutchmaster.com?? Sorry for long post.
I wasn't pissed off too much because I knew I would lose because of the clutch.:p
First thing, you should never be behind your in tune up. Second, you should get the clutch replaced if you "think" it's the cause. If not, then you can try to pin point later on and at least you can be assured that it's no the tranny. About the flying head....... I think it's mostly because of the gear ratio and stuff, I've been in a GS and have never felt it too. I think GodFather has the stage II clutch.

·
Registered
3,100 Posts
U lost to a sentra? thats not good there must be something worng withy your car. i wondder why it stays at 5,500 RPM that is very strange. A stage II clutch is good when you are racing and shifting fast so if u wana beat him that might help.

·
502MotorSports.com
9,296 Posts
go to the shop

no way you lost to a SEntra!
I think you need to definitely replace your clutch.

I mean, according to www.nissandriven.com
the SE-R has 165hp and 175 lb tq

Legend 230hp and 206lb tq
COME ON!
that's 65hp and 31 lb ft torque difference!

Get your car fixed, lil daddy and try again. Are you sure he's not spraying?

·
Registered
1,643 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I know for a fact that clutch is the cause. I could hear chattering noise when I engage the clutch, not to mention old fuel filter. I let him drive my car and he said "I think your car will bone out with new clutch" I wanna go stage III like Godfather but can't afford $800 for a clutch so stage II is a better option. He has nos kit ready to be installed. I'll race him again after the clutch is done.

·
0000$$$$0000####0000
4,926 Posts
You need to replace your clutch. My clutch does NOT do that. I had a friend who had a NSX whoes clutch was doing the exact same thing as yours. It was riding on high RPMS for a long time after shifting at higher speeds. Anyway, during that time, he could barely keep up with mildly modified Civics at high speed :) Once he changed the clutch, thinks were back to nornal.

·
Registered
1,643 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
You need to replace your clutch. My clutch does NOT do that. I had a friend who had a NSX whoes clutch was doing the exact same thing as yours. It was riding on high RPMS for a long time after shifting at higher speeds. Anyway, during that time, he could barely keep up with mildly modified Civics at high speed Once he changed the clutch, thinks were back to nornal.
ChrisK, is your clutch stock? For how long did you have it? Do you recommend stock or aftermarket? Is clutchmasters my only choice? I've putting it off while I was getting rims/konis/eibach. I think next mod should be the clutch. Thanx your advice.

:p

·
Registered
863 Posts
me too...

I was in san fran on thursday night with 4 of my buddies (plus me) and we were all in my 2dr 5spd G1, and this new (looks like an '02?) SE-R or whatever pulls up next to me and yells some bullsh!t about notorious racing or somethin and the light changes... well to make a long story short. i got reamed. But, then i found a G2 sedan (auto) a beat it. I felt bad. is it against the rules to race felo legends??? :confused: i felt kinda bad...

-bryan

(i just found out u can get the SE-R in a 6spd...ehhh....)

·
502MotorSports.com
9,296 Posts
Re: me too...

legend2die4 said:
I was in san fran on thursday night with 4 of my buddies (plus me) and we were all in my 2dr 5spd G1, and this new (looks like an '02?) SE-R or whatever pulls up next to me and yells some bullsh!t about notorious racing or somethin and the light changes... well to make a long story short. i got reamed.

-bryan

(i just found out u can get the SE-R in a 6spd...ehhh....)
The G1 is a closer match to that vehicle as far as stock HP and TQ go

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
It must be your clutch and that can make a HUGE difference on your acceleration times! When my clutch was going I had a hard time even passing cars on the highway!

I dropped in the clutchmasters Stage III which made a huge difference. You can drop that thing at 6000rpm and it'll take the abuse and grab! Also powershifting between gears you would feel the "forward jerk" from your car as it should spin your tires going from 1st to 2nd.

If you do your clutch, make sure you inspect and machine down the flywheel from a reputable machine shop. Those things are more espensive than the clutch itself and depending on the condition of it, you can probably save it and have it machined which is waht I had done to mine.

However, I must get in touch with clustchmasters soon and get some tech info from them. Lately I've noticed (rarely happens though) that if I'm in alot of bumper to bumper rush hour traffic and i'm riding my clutch alot, then I get onto an open road, my clutch slips like mad between shifts! And the engagement point in the pedal gets soo soft and mushy! It's wierd and it feels like I need a new clutch or something. But after the car sits and cools down, it works good again. This only happens in an extreme traffic situation where you're riding the clutch all the time.

Could this possibly be a defective pressure plate? I'm going to call them and find out what's up. Perhaps this is a normal behaviour.

G

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.