Acura-legend.com banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Premium Well Wisher
2,776 Posts

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
I smoothed out the shifts in my manual trans with some penzoil syncromesh (sp?) It really helped cut down on how much I snag second gear.:thumbsup:

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys, I love the Halo guy jkurl haha... I am beginning to think my 220k miles Legend is behind on maintenance. Fuel filter looks original, ac filter is original, dont know too much more about it yet... plugs were bad, but the car is still awesome, no issues at all, I got it inspected at the Acura dealership and no problems at all.

Starting to do maintenance on the car, already did the plugs (NGK Iridium IX), new front pads and rotors. New rear rotors and pads next week, new ac filter soon, new fuel filter (after I get the stupid bolt off).

·
Registered
857 Posts
I smoothed out the shifts in my manual trans with some penzoil syncromesh (sp?) It really helped cut down on how much I snag second gear.:thumbsup:
Hey JK... how are you doing? Where did you get your Penzoil synchromesh? I'll be doing this soon. Let me know.

Nice ride you got... by the way.

·
Registered
1,655 Posts
what transmission oil you guys recommend for a automatic tranny ? i'm about to do it myself. the shop is charging too much for labor.

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
Hey JK... how are you doing? Where did you get your Penzoil synchromesh? I'll be doing this soon. Let me know.

Nice ride you got... by the way.
got mine from auto zone any auto parts store should have it or another brand of syncromesh

what transmission oil you guys recommend for a automatic tranny ? i'm about to do it myself. the shop is charging too much for labor.
genuine honda ATF only! accept no substitute, sold at any honda acura stealership.

·
Registered
1,639 Posts
I use Amsoil for everything, I use Amsoil ATF and after I get a 6 speed I would be using Amsoil Synchromesh, results dont lie

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
I need a DIY with pics :) I am still lost on the mixture for the 6 speed... penzoil synch?
synchromesh is a type of manual transmission oil with friction modifiers added to help old synchros grab a little better, and it made/marketed by more than one mfg.

trans and dif are both similar in that there is a low plug to drain then a fill plug halfway up the side of the case or so that you pump your fluid in right till it spills back out then put the plug in, done. Good quality 80-90w gear oil for the differential, syncromesh or good 30w for manual trans.

EDIT Correction 30w not for differential but for manual trans. 10-30w actually.

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
I use Amsoil for everything, I use Amsoil ATF and after I get a 6 speed I would be using Amsoil Synchromesh, results dont lie
does amsoil make a honda formula atf? how many miles have you had with what type of amsoil in your tranny, very curious. Amsoil seems like good stuff pricey but good, I never realized they might have a good atf with enough silicone in it, so the question is do they?

·
Registered
1,639 Posts
does amsoil make a honda formula atf? how many miles have you had with what type of amsoil in your tranny, very curious. Amsoil seems like good stuff pricey but good, I never realized they might have a good atf with enough silicone in it, so the question is do they?
Iono if it has the "correct" amount of silicone as you put it but I have been using it for around 1 year and I really abuse the sucker so Amsoil is working great. I used their ATF high performance fluid

·
Registered
288 Posts
synchromesh is a type of manual transmission oil with friction modifiers added to help old synchros grab a little better, and it made/marketed by more than one mfg.

trans and dif are both similar in that there is a low plug to drain then a fill plug halfway up the side of the case or so that you pump your fluid in right till it spills back out then put the plug in, done. Good quality 30w oil for the diff, syncromesh or good 30w for manual trans.
30W for the diff?

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
30W for the diff?
No,:uhh: I dont know what I was thinking, gear oil for the differential

Ditto.
Should be about an 80-90w.
For the differential yes, I think I confused the thread by mentioning the differential since this was a transmission thread, it didn't help I put out bad info either.

·
Registered
962 Posts
I just did mine this week and the transmission took in between 2 1/3 and 2 1/2 quarts. That is also in the range of what the specs. call for. Why yours did not take that much is a good question. I had my car jacked up on the pass. side. Maybe having it jacked from the front as you did makes the difference.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts