Acura Legend Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
On my daughters 87 acura legend, her brake lights will not turn off. I know the brake pedal switch needs to be replaced. I just don't really know what the replacement part looks like, or how to install a new one. Do I need to take it to a mechanic?

Thank you,

Christine

·
Registered
843 Posts
My guess is that the switch is probably okay. On the brake arm, there's a plastic insert that engages the brake light switch plunger. Eventually, that plastic piece breaks apart, falls out, and leaves a hole where the plunger is supposed to engage. As a result, the brake lights are constantly on. My guess is that if you look closely in the driver's footwell, you'll see the remnants of that switch. I have no idea why they designed it like this, but it is what it is.

I'm sure you can get a new plastic insert at the dealer. What I did was replace the plastic tab with a small carriage bolt so that it will never break out again. It was a hassle threading a nut on the backside, but at least I know it will be there forever.

One final thing is to know that if you replace it with anything other than the factory plastic tab, then you may have to adjust the switch to get your cruise control to work. Even if your brake lights work properly, the switch can still be out of adjustment enough to prevent your cruise control from engaging. Good luck....

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
My guess is that the switch is probably okay. On the brake arm, there's a plastic insert that engages the brake light switch plunger. Eventually, that plastic piece breaks apart, falls out, and leaves a hole where the plunger is supposed to engage. As a result, the brake lights are constantly on. My guess is that if you look closely in the driver's footwell, you'll see the remnants of that switch. I have no idea why they designed it like this, but it is what it is.

I'm sure you can get a new plastic insert at the dealer. What I did was replace the plastic tab with a small carriage bolt so that it will never break out again. It was a hassle threading a nut on the backside, but at least I know it will be there forever.

One final thing is to know that if you replace it with anything other than the factory plastic tab, then you may have to adjust the switch to get your cruise control to work. Even if your brake lights work properly, the switch can still be out of adjustment enough to prevent your cruise control from engaging. Good luck....

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you. We did find the broken piece in the car. Now we can't find any dealer that can order it. They said we need to go to a junkyard? Does that sound right? Thank you in advance for your help.

Christine

·
Registered
843 Posts
Thank you. We did find the broken piece in the car. Now we can't find any dealer that can order it. They said we need to go to a junkyard? Does that sound right? Thank you in advance for your help.

Christine
I'm not terribly surprised as G1 parts are getting harder to find at the dealers - mine even has to order common things like valve cover gaskets. Wish I had known you were looking for one since I was at the junkyard earlier this week.

You can go the junkyard route and wait for it to break again (after all it's a 20-year old piece of plastic). Or you can go to Home Depot or some other hardware store and buy a small carriage bolt, along with a nut. It's a bit of a squeeze getting the nut threaded onto the bolt, but it's fixed permanently. Also, remember that you might have to adjust your brake/cruise switch because the carriage bolt isn't as tall as the plastic tab.

Actually, I suppose you could probably get a normal bolt that's about the same height as the plastic tab and maybe avoid adjusting the switch, but the carriage bolt fit snugly into the square hole where the plastic tab mounted, so I went that route. Just make sure to get a lock washer so that it doesn't work loose over time. Good luck....

·
Registered
843 Posts
You can grab one from anywhere really....Autozone has those "HELP!" brand odds and ends and you can find one there....I've even gotten away with using one of those plastic clips that hold on the door panel :lol:
Didn't think about that - they may well have something that would be a good sub...

·
Mo*or Mo**h
1,730 Posts
The switch doesn't come with the plastic insert. And, it should be way less than $50. The $16 sounds close, iirc.

My Dealer had the plastic insert, so I went that route after running around for a few months with a short piece of strap metal bent around the pad and further wrapped around the pedal arm.

The Carrage Bolt is the best solution, imo. Even better than original and won't break out again causing the battery to drain from brake lights running.

Even after all this time, I still wonder from time to time why Acura put a plastic part there. It's a pure push pad for the light switch button. Wouldn't seem any need for an electical break there for grounding. The only thing I figure is the plastic is for quiet. But, it's a fully engaged contact all the time, no real friction or pounding contact. In fact, it's normally OFF with full plunge, meaning the low end of the switch plunger, that's why the brake lights stay ON when it's not there. Like a dead-man's switch.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.