Acura Legend Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 87 Legend previously had a start problem, if it rain for the whole day, it will not be able to start in the morning. Let it stand for couple hour, it will start. But two months ago, after one day rain, it cannot start whenever I tried.
So far I have checked:

Battery charged to full. It crank but cannot start. Replaced starter still cannot start.
Spark plug get spark. Distributor igniter checked ok. Coil, spark plug wire resistance as spec. Distributor cap and rotor are new.
Main relay looks like work because it has signal to ECU, fuel pump, EICV and starter. Apply 12v to EICV, it will click. Turn key to start I can hear fuel pump sound.
Replace ECU same problem. There is no PGM-FI code.
COmpression check are 120 psi some cylinder with 5 start to get this number.
There is crank angle signal.
TW sensor is 5k at 35 degree.
TA sensor is also 5k at 35 degree.
Throat sensor vary from 600 ohm to 1.2k
Alternator sensor has 4.6 volt at ECU pin.
There is injector signal when I measured at ECU pin at start.
Check the fuel flow, measure the fuel amount flow out the return line that connected to the pressure regulator around 6 oz when start switch turn on for 10 second.

Look like it has spark, fuel and compression but it cannot start. Any expert can give me more suggestion. I might miss something to check. Thanks.

·
Registered
293 Posts
You sound like an expert with everything you've tried - however, just from my experience, I think the main relay should be replaced if it's original. These tend to create odd starting problems. No idea if this will solve the problem but it seems everyone eventually has to replace the main relay.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Rick,
I look at the service manual, the main relay control the fuel pump, starter and ECU. If it does not crank or does not hear fuel pump sound or ECU light does not blink one time, then it is the possibility bad main relay. Some person had start problem and he told me he replaced the main relay but it did not fix the problem. I believe my problem is not the main relay because I got spark, fuel and ECU diagnose ok. Thank you for your prompt reply.

Fred

·
Registered
293 Posts
The problem I had that a new main relay fixed was the following: Car would get hot from sitting in sun all day, engine would turn over (ie, crank) but not actually start. Like it was out of gas. Others have detailed other starting problems (not associated with hot inside the car). Good luck.

·
Registered
703 Posts
If you're sure it's getting spark, the problem is most likely related to fuel or air. Maybe water is getting somewhere under the hood somehow. getting the distributor wet or something.
If you think about it, the things required for the engine to start are first spark, then adequate fuel/air mixture and compression inside the cylinders. assuing the other components are working properly. Since your car runs, they probably are.
I don't know if this helps any, I can't think of anything else to check that you haven't already.
Maybe water is getting into the fuel somewhere (lines or somewhere else). I don't know where it could, but it might be something to check.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Erick,
How do you check the water is in the fuel? This might be the problem because it has the hard start problem after long day of rain. The distributor which I have removed and checked there is no water? I do not think that is the problem. Another possibility which you mentioned fuel/air mixture. Is anyway I can check the fuel/air mixture problem? This is important too. Thank you for your reply.

Fred

·
Registered
703 Posts
As far as the air/fuel mixture, I'm betting if that is the problem, it is off because of water in the fuel.
Maybe you could remove the fuel line at the fuel filter and run the fuel pump a few times by turning the key on and off. put the fuel or water in a glass or something. if there is water in it, it will sink to the bottom. Sometimes it's hard to tell when the fuel and water is mixed up. Try pulling what's in the bottom of the mixture out with a dropper and smell it to see if it's gas. If there is water in it, it may be a very small amount.
Again, this may not be the problem, but it's something to check as it seems like you've checked everything else already.

Another thing. It may be a long shot, but if you know someone else with a G1, you may want to try putting their main relay in your car just incase that is the problem. I doubt it would work, but stranger things have happened.

Hope this helps, good luck,

Eric F

·
Registered
308 Posts
chenfred,
you have spark, fuel, and compression. Have you checked your timing? How old is your timing belt? If it has any mileage to it, pull the upper covers off and see if the belt skipped a tooth, or three.

Luck

·
Registered
703 Posts
If it only doesn't start after it rains, timing wouldn't be the problem.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I think I should give up and let the mechanic to figure out. I will post the result when it fixs. Thank you all for your help.

·
Registered
1 Posts
chenfred I know this is old but could you detail the remedy.
I have the same problem. My mechanic just told me he has spent 6 hours trying to get this started? Periodically it would do this but now for an entire weekend the car won't start? Do the keys have a chip in them. We lost the original and we are using a copy (although this copy has worked prior). That's what it reminds me of.

Ed

·
Registered
584 Posts
Nah, the acks didnt have the chip thing, the old LS400 did though.

Not hard to get around that anyway.

Probably should list your exact problem and issues.

·
Registered
4,253 Posts
I have the same problem. My mechanic just told me he has spent 6 hours trying to get this started? Periodically it would do this but now for an entire weekend the car won't start?

Ed
^^^ Faulty ignition switch is another possibility.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts