Acura Legend Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought a '89 L coupe.

I'm really happy with it, but the fuel line is pretty corroded and I want to replace it.

Any suggestions as to what to replace it with? Should I get a OEM/stock line, or are there any stainless steel ones or is a rubber hose good enough?

I live in Toronto where the winters can be harsh and the roads are heavily salted.

Any suggestions?

BTW, what is the stock line made of anyways?

·
Registered
304 Posts
take a cutting torch, cut the corroded line off, and weld on a new one, preferably stainless steal, or aluminum is fine.

·
Registered
842 Posts
Yeah, I'd be very leery about taking a torch to a fuel line, just in case you weren't joking.

I'd buy an OEM line or look for a good used example and just bolt on the new line. Stainless is nice, but I think it's overkill unless you're hoping for 40 more years of service. After all, the OEM lines are still hanging in there after nearly 20....

·
Registered
858 Posts
Well,
the fuel in the ful line will not catch on fire because there are no fumes, just liquid.
Considering how long the OEM lasted, I would replace it with OEM line.

·
Registered
842 Posts
Well,
the fuel in the ful line will not catch on fire because there are no fumes, just liquid.
Agreed, the vapors are the danger - I know welders who have worked on fuel tanks, but only after they were filled. However, I wouldn't take a torch to a fuel line because there is a good chance of vapors forming after the line is breached and the fuel escapes. Besides, it makes no sense to cut something that can be unbolted and removed.....

·
Registered
304 Posts
also smoke a cigarrette, to keep you calm and steady, as this process will stress you out.

·
Registered
4,253 Posts
legendvr said:
awelliott said:
Yeah, I'd buy an OEM line.
^^^ I too would prefer this route as well :thumbsup:

·
489,000 km's stil going
1,014 Posts
also smoke a cigarrette, to keep you calm and steady, as this process will stress you out.
:chainsaw:

:popcorn:

Not nice guy's - Sam too!? Your wife should spank you! Possibly on the hood of your car.

I believe he is kidding, don't go near your lines with anything that can ignite your gas. Get the line replaced with regular cheap line metal replacements. Your first set was good for 17 years, so are you planning on a second go round to 34 years? There are also plastic lines that can be put in instead if you want. Rubber will not always work because of the higher pressures in fuel injected cars.

Lines are a bitch to change/patch in a driveway - take it in (don't go to the dealer) any decent reasonably priced shop can do this.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts