Acura Legend Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The time has come and I have to take my Legend (94) to the dealer for a 90K service.....I'm only 89K+ but better to get it done sooner than later.
I'm buying the Timing belt kit from Acura of Georgia....and since I'm getting everything done at the dealer...i'm not too worried about what they'll do to my car. However, there is an issue of whether i should change the timing belt tensioner/adjuster?
Acura of Georgia claim that you need to change them only once every two timing belts...so i should be okay i presume. But my dealer says i should replace it. Has anybody done this before and changed the timing belt tensioner as well? SHould i replace it? I think they go fo around 60 bucks. Any thoughts/suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

I know I'm gonna get raped by the dealer...but i'd rather spend the extra $$ with out having to worry about whether everything was installed properly. Also, another important factor was that they're giving me a loaner TL-s for 2 DAYS!! :D :p :D

·
Registered
358 Posts
I would go ahead and replace the tensioner....wouldn't you rather have that extra comfort knowing you replaced it and won't break? I dont think the tensioner is that expensive either.

Also, make sure your dealership will take your parts. I know my dealership will not take any parts outside of their own dealership no matter what. Even if they are OEM from another dealership. Most of them do this because some make more money off of parts than they do on the labor.

I know some dealerships if you have a good relationship with them they will let you slide with some of your parts. Just make sure so your not stuck spending extra money.

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah....

Unfortunately the timing belt kit that Acura of Georgia sells, doesn't include it. But i guess its better to change it and be safe than sorry....

I'll either buy it from them or A&H motorsports.

I checked with my dealer in advance....and they have no problem.

Thanks patrick..

·
Registered
1,448 Posts
I did not replace mine, the gold certified Honda mechanic at my shop examined mine and said not to waste the money...only about $35 bucks, but he was certain that mine was fine...no noise or wear....he said that failure is very rare on the tensioner, but most dealer replace for two reasons....they make money selling tensioners, and if there is a failure they don't want a customer blaming them, so they just replace....and it isn't too expensive, so most don't object too much. I am at 133K now and still fine.....

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the info bigdad......

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.