Acura Legend Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 90 Legend and it overheated on me yesterday!! I can let the car run for a very long time on my carport and it won't overheat but when I got into a congested area yesterday it go very hot, it got very close the the "H" so I pulled over and cut it off. It's very strange because I expected it to do it when the car was running while sitting at my house but it won't do it. The hose going into the thermostat was hot and I could feel the water flowing through it so the thermostat was at least working when I had the car at my house. I am wondering if maybe the thermostat stuck closed for a while and caused it to overheat. I am going to drain the antifreeze and change the thermostat this evening to see if that fixes it. Does anyone have any suggestions. My antifreeze is very dirty so I am going to put new coolant in it. I am hoping that the dirty anifreeze hasn't stopped up the radiator. Oh, and it is full of antifreeze now so thats not the problem :)

·
Registered
282 Posts
cooling fans?

Check to see that your electric fans come on when the car heats up -

they can be the culprit

·
Registered
282 Posts
water pump or clogg-

how long have you had the same coolant in the car?

could need agood flush and refil with a additive- check the color andy chunks or particles floating?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well, I drained the coolant and put new coolant in the car and I also changed the thermostat and I am driving it today. It did fine this morning but it was also 70 degrees and the AC wasn't on. The real test will be this afternoon, it's supposed to be 95 degrees so I will drive it home with the AC wide open to test it hopefully it won't heat.

·
Registered
282 Posts
coolant change

At least your system has a chance now- If there is a clog or a bad waterpump -then you will probably see the same heating-

i always try to stay away from standing traffic regardless-
Have a 90 vw bus and it hates to stand still- heats up just like you mentioned- but everythign is in order- some cars just dont like standing still -

- How is your ac? original freon? retrofit?-

I have to re-outfit my accumulator-- and possible my compressor -so I wondered if your system was still teh original /.

d

·
Registered
926 Posts
Please let me know if this helps I went through the same thing yesterday. When I pulled over it was smoking so I let it cool off,BUT MY DUMB A S S started messing with the radiator cap and it shot off and anyi freeze flew everywhere(got the burn marks to prove it) I got it towed to the mechanic and he said I need a new radiator cap. We'll see today

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.