Acura Legend Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

· Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
just wondering if anyone esle has done that conversion/mod. i first saw it on legendtuner.com, so i recently tried it. Now i burn harnesses and pop bulbs left and right. Any feedback? could it be the fact that i use 100w 9005 bulbs, and what should i do to fix this problem. Should i start replacing the 9006 harnesses with 9005 harnesses instead.

· Victory is fleeting...
5,575 Posts
I did this conversion about a year ago, did not replace the harnesses and only had to replace one bulb about two weeks ago.

· Registered
1,491 Posts
94ac-leg said:
just wondering if anyone esle has done that conversion/mod. i first saw it on legendtuner.com, so i recently tried it. Now i burn harnesses and pop bulbs left and right. Any feedback? could it be the fact that i use 100w 9005 bulbs, and what should i do to fix this problem. Should i start replacing the 9006 harnesses with 9005 harnesses instead.
Ummm.....bad move on the 100w bulbs. Some "might" get lucky and it will work but I tried that on my GTP and my Honda Prelude and fried the wiring.

On Legentuner, it did say this:

IMPORTANT: a word of caution, DO NOT attempt to perform this modification on aftermarket "high-wattage" (80-100W) bulbs as the increased current requirement will overtax the OEM wiring harnesses and may lead to serious damage of the lighting systems. If you do want to use high wattage (80-100W) bulbs in your Legend it is recommended that you upgrade your wiring harnesses to compensate.

· Registered
4,086 Posts
k

I did the conversion about ...a year ago. Mine both blew out these past two weeks. I had the silverstars. Nice white light and you would know it was me :D ...now i just threw in some 9006(?) normal beam cold blues or whatever.

easy mod. and i had mine tilted all the way up for deer in WI.

· Registered
1,491 Posts
swift said:
I did the conversion about ...a year ago. Mine both blew out these past two weeks. I had the silverstars. Nice white light and you would know it was me :D ...now i just threw in some 9006(?) normal beam cold blues or whatever.

easy mod. and i had mine tilted all the way up for deer in WI.
Ben, what was the wattage on the bulbs you had?

· Registered
1,306 Posts
If you wanted 9005 bulbs in your low beam, get bulbs that are 80 watts or less, I believe the Silverstars are 75w. so that should work. I was thinking of doing this but why risk frying a harness when they make 9006 Silverstars?

· Fre OG
1,258 Posts
has anyone done a dual HID conv. Say 5300k for low and 4500 for high (i think 4500 is the highest light output u can get pure white) and a little less for the low more of a bluer light

· Registered
4,086 Posts
k

I had 9005 silverstars that were like 100W...or equal that. REally nice. I would be driving and could notice how ever one else was yellowish.

They are 4600k where TL's were 4400k or whatever for a while. Now they are higher for the HIDs.

· Registered
4,119 Posts
Anytime you install a high-wattage lamp system having a bulb over 70 watts, you MUST USE a heavy-duty harness and relays. Failure will burn out headlamp wiring and/or controls. For under $50, buy a kit. I have been using high-wattage 80/100 in all my vehicles for over 10 yrs. Raze havoc with timid woodland creatures.

· Registered
4,086 Posts
k

no probs here....but the bulbs burned out a year later.

· Registered
3,994 Posts
the conversion is a waste of time - I did it and it sucked.
Silverstars bulbs are a bit better for one year and burn out - Expensive !!!

Buy HIR bulbs and/or upgrade the wiring harness for high watt bulbs, cause any other plan is a waste of effort, with the exception of spending big $ on HIDs

· Registered
1,491 Posts
Stu said:
the conversion is a waste of time - I did it and it sucked.
Silverstars bulbs are a bit better for one year and burn out - Expensive !!!

Buy HIR bulbs and/or upgrade the wiring harness for high watt bulbs, cause any other plan is a waste of effort, with the exception of spending big $ on HIDs
Really?

I did this with the Silverstars and light output was better not to mention much better looking than the stock yellowish bulbs. I haven't had to replace a bulb yet.

For the moment, i'm okay with my set-up because I've got aftermarket fog lights but I plan on getting the HIR bulbs next spring.

I'm still waiting for someone to post up some pics of their HIR bulb set up.

· Registered
3,994 Posts
OhGeez said:
Really?

I did this with the Silverstars and light output was better not to mention much better looking than the stock yellowish bulbs. I haven't had to replace a bulb yet.
Yes, really. My light output was very slightly improved and both Silverstar bulbs lasted one year .... how long have you had yours ? I bet it hasnt been a year, lol. Yes, the light was whiter and not yellow at all .... big deal, so what, its whiter. Is that worth it to you ..... cause it wasn't to me.

HIR bulbs are a real MAJOR improvement. Silverstars are not.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.