Acura Legend Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
744 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just wanted to let everyone know that I did the conversion from legendtuner.com and I am very impressed.

I do follow the threads about HIDs and all that - BUT - I have to look at getting the best bang for the buck and so far the cheapest I have found was $54.00 cause I had to feed her dinner!

KNLNGUS

·
Registered
744 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ah, what do you mean you could never do it?

I used my dremel tool. What I did specifically was...

I kept the bulb in the packaging and used my exacto to cut out the plastic that covered the female end. I did this so I would not chance touching the glass.

Within 20 seconds the dremel tool at up the two ridges and I went outside to pop them in. Peace of cake and a definite improvement.

KNLNGUS

·
Registered
216 Posts
KNLNGUS said:
I just wanted to let everyone know that I did the conversion from legendtuner.com and I am very impressed.

I do follow the threads about HIDs and all that - BUT - I have to look at getting the best bang for the buck and so far the cheapest I have found was $54.00 cause I had to feed her dinner!

KNLNGUS
Sorry to here about your plates. That's F'ed UP.

I did the 5-6 conversion and the light was great but my 9005 bulbs did not last. First I used the Sylvania 'Cool Blues' at $14 each and they lasted about 2-3 months. Then I converted the new Sylvania 'Silverstars' ($50/pair) and they lasted about 2 months. But they looked reeeeeaaaal good.
I called Sylvania and complained. (obviously I did not tell them I did the conversion.) They told me that performance high beam halogens have a much shorter life than low beam bulbs (which is normally OK since you use high beams much less.)
They sent me a free set of SStar 9005's.

I put them in as high beams and bought 9006 PIAA Extreme White Plus for the lows. The PIAA's are nice but not as nice as the 9005 to 9006 Silverstar conversion - but hopefully they will last.

I hope you have better luck with the conversion.

Before someone say's it ---- I know --- HID HID HID

The're on the List (somewhere)

·
Registered
233 Posts
I did the 9005 conversion too, using PIAA 9005 xtreme whites and they're pretty bright and put A LOT of light onto the road compared to stock. Thanks for the tutorial Koji_H !
Real HIDs are the ultimate and they are sooo tempting, but i have to be realisitic, spending $500+ on a 94 car? Think i'd rather save that money for my future Acura :rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
Re: Re: 9006 - 9005 conversion

Double Legend said:
First I used the Sylvania 'Cool Blues' at $14 each and they lasted about 2-3 months. Then I converted the new Sylvania 'Silverstars' ($50/pair) and they lasted about 2 months.
2-3 months on the Cool Blues? Why such a short time? The Philips BlueVision cost about $7 each and the 06 to 05 conversion worked wonders!! It's been 8 months and they are still going strong.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Re: Re: Re: 9006 - 9005 conversion

asianlegend said:

2-3 months on the Cool Blues? Why such a short time? The Philips BlueVision cost about $7 each and the 06 to 05 conversion worked wonders!! It's been 8 months and they are still going strong.
As I said I after my experiences I went with the Extreme White Plus for my Legend. For my wifes Leg - I tried the conversion again - one Cool Blue and 1 BlueVision. I'll see how long the bulbs last.

I used a sodering gun (heat) to melt out the plastic strips in the bulbs. Based on y'all's good experiences I'm thinking that the heat shortened the bulbs lifespan.

Next time I'll try a dremel - I know the knife will work - but I need zoom - zoom.

·
Registered
744 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for feeling my pain Double Legend - KNLNGUS on my plates has been the she~ite.

You know... I feel about HID HID HID about how I feel with TINT. I would prefer to have it when the vehicle is brand new. I wish the Legend came with HID stock and everyone knows you get a better result with TINTing a brand new window OR having factory TINT.

Also, I wonder how many Legend owners have had the front and rear windshields removed to put on the TINT (factory style). I do know that a close friend of mine had his Legend repainted and EVERYTHING was removed - all glass, trim, lights, doors, every single stich of rubber top to bottom and that is when he had his glass TINTed.

KNLNGUS

I most certainly hope that these light last! I still have a smirk on my face because I installed the lights and stood in front of the car facing forward and I still say WHAT AN IMPROVEMENT!

Has anyone experienced what G Rahn is talking about - I didn't pay that close attention (although I have not been hi beamed, yet)?

·
Registered
163 Posts
I have read the thread but I am still not sure what the conversion does?
Is it just the high beams bulbs working inside the housing of the low beam?
I think that is what the conversion does, but I am not clear on it. thanks alot

·
Banned
2,260 Posts
jedmund1 said:
I have read the thread but I am still not sure what the conversion does?
Is it just the high beams bulbs working inside the housing of the low beam?
I think that is what the conversion does, but I am not clear on it. thanks alot
Exactly, I took my stock low beams and cut the center plastic divider out with a very sharp switch blade knife. After putting them in and turning them on, WOW!!! It was bright. This was 4 months ago and still going strong. Converting some PIAAs may be in the works after reading FORMULA_1_Legend's post.

·
Registered
744 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
A Quote from legendtuner.com....

"One of the quickest and easiest upgrades that you can make to your lighting system is to modify 9005 high beam lightbulbs for use in your 9006 low-beam sockets"

Now, the creator of this forum (legendtuner.com) has yet to delineate "in a later tutorial" why you would but a 9006 bulb into a 9005 highbeam socket....

NOW - this might sound very obvious, but someone please explain... Would the 9006 lowbeam bulb burn very very bright into a 9005 Highbeam socket because of voltage/ watts?

KNLNGUS

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
KNLNGUS - Look at this thread about 05->06 Conversion on the Legend Forums. I asked why anyone would want to do this. It got several replies, but that one I linked to is the most signifcant. Hope this helps! :)

KNLNGUS said:
NOW - this might sound very obvious, but someone please explain... Would the 9006 lowbeam bulb burn very very bright into a 9005 Highbeam socket because of voltage/ watts?

·
0000$$$$0000####0000
4,926 Posts
Koji_H said:
GRahn hit the nail in the head.

The yet to be updated info on LEGENDtuner.com is my idea to use of the stock headlamp high beam (9005) positions as yellow colored fogs lights with lower wattage (9006) bulbs. The problem is the base diameter difference that is not really a factor for 9005->9006 (small base to big opening) but does make a difference for 9006->9005 (big base to small opening) if you catch my drift.

For the past year I have been running a set of weathervision light yellow 9006 in my 9005 high beam locations with the bulbs purposely installed at an angle to alter the position of the filament within the reflector to alter the beam output pattern. So far so good. However I would like to get some bulbs that are even more yellow if anyone has advice on where to obtain some... the more yellow the better. The reason I don't use 9005 is that I don't really want to be blinding people and I want to be able to use the lights in inclement weather.

I havent yet come up with a solution that I am satisfied with but once I do I will write up a full tutorial with photos.
I'd say use a H3 yellow bulb. You just need to make a small adaptor to make it fit.

·
Registered
3,292 Posts
ChrisK said:

I'd say use a H3 yellow bulb. You just need to make a small adaptor to make it fit.
But H3 is only 1 wire correct? Where do u ground it?

·
Registered
3,728 Posts
Blo said:
But H3 is only 1 wire correct? Where do u ground it?
Sup, the base of the H3 bulb is the ground for the bulb.

BTW: My HIDs are lighting up the road....haha:D

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.