Acura Legend Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
505 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
one of my optiblue super white bulb went out....so i replaced it with one of the apc super white bulb that i had before....and that went out shortly after that......so now im looking for a pair of 9006.....i want it to be bright (hid similation)....and also reliable...would it help if i buy a lower wattage bulb ?...the optiblue and apc are both 80W......stocks are 55W......are the PIAA any good ?? are they any difference from other aftermarket bulbs ?? though they are rather expensive..
thanks
the picture below is what happened to my optiblue bulb just one of them ... :confused:

·
Banned
2,261 Posts
Piaa 900x are good bulbs. They come in super white, super plasma, hyper white,etc. I pulled my blue low-beams out when the local news said that APD (Albuquerque Police Dept.) would be cracking down on the blue bulb bandits. That's exactly what they said. I did the 9005 hi-beam conversion on my car. So, I have a very bright white look now. Shines better also, those blue ones don't shine as far. Kinda dangerous, but buy PIAA's if you choose to go with it.

·
Registered
50 Posts
bulb

I have a set of 9006 hyper super plazma bulbs in my legend. I have had them for over a year (knock on wood) and they are very white - no yellow - no blue and I like them a lot. However, they are 80wat bulbs which is too high for our legends - I have not had any problems yet (knock on wood). Also, you can't tell the bulb is blue unless the lights are off and you shine a light into the headlamp or of course take the bulb out.

I also have a set of PIAA super white platinum series bulbs on my other car that has projection headlamps. They are not as white as the Hyper bulbs in my Legend- probably due to the lower wattage. They are fine for now, unitl I find a HID kit for Denali's, but not as white as my Legend. They look nice and white when you look at the bulb and the ground is pretty much white with the PIAA's but probably the PIAA extreme whites would produce more white light. I have only had the PIAA's on for about a week now.

·
No So*p For Yo*!
430 Posts
looks like your bulb just blew up! happened to mine too. i believe it's finger oil on the glass part. when one of my h3's went out for my fog, only the filament was busted, it didn't "blow up" and look all cloudy.

·
Registered
505 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
ohhhhhhhh so thats what happen when your finger touches the glass...haha...well life is full of surprises.....you learn new things everyday...

how bout these bulbs....anyone have any info on it ?? i found it on ebay ....do they last long ? brightness ?....i was gonna get the optiblue again but this bulb cost about half the price of optiblue....
thanks
oh and one more question.....what would happen if i do the 9005 conversion and put in a 100W 9005 into the 9006 place ???

·
Registered
432 Posts
>what would happen if i do the 9005 conversion and
>put in a 100W 9005 into the 9006 place ???

You would most likely fry your wiring harness. There are special wires you need for this - here's one company that makes them:
http://secure15.dellhost.com/~d30022975/headlight_harness.htm

That said, I would add that the PIAA bulbs that advertise putting out more light and yet drawing only 55W seem to live up to their claim. I've had the Xtreme white series of bulbs in my cars for over a year with no fried harnesses.

G

·
I don't understand you guys spending so much money on Halogen bulbs and wiring harnesses just to imitate HID looks. You can find a pretty good HID setup for like $300 now if you look on ebay, etc. I picked my stuff up for $260. In the long run I'll save money cause I won't have to pay for those pricey bulbs every six months and I won't have to melt wiring harnesses.

Plus with real HID it just looks better. One of my friends once told me "do it right the first time." It hasn't failed me yet.

G

·
Mine is 5000K, but I don't know where you can get one for that price. My ballasts came out of a wrecked Audi A6, and my bulbs came out of a wrecked BMW M3. My friend just looked around and found the stuff. I believe he got the ballasts from the dealership since he knew a guy that worked there, and then the bulbs over ebay.

BTW though, for those of you who want a good Halogen bulb.... I just threw some of those Sylvania Silverstars in my dad's excursion a couple weeks ago and they are pretty nice. Here's a pic (9007 Sylvania Halogen on right, 9007 Silverstar on left). They really look a litlle bit whiter in real life though, plus they are just as bright if not brighter than the regular bulbs:

The bulb isn't completely bule coated either (blue and purple), so it doesn't end up making your housing look blue when the light is off. You can get them at shucks.

Also, those premium Philips bulbs over at www.autolamps-online look pretty nice. Anyone ever tried those?

·
Banned
2,261 Posts
sfearing said:
>what would happen if i do the 9005 conversion and
>put in a 100W 9005 into the 9006 place ???

You would most likely fry your wiring harness. There are special wires you need for this - here's one company that makes them:
http://secure15.dellhost.com/~d30022975/headlight_harness.htm

That said, I would add that the PIAA bulbs that advertise putting out more light and yet drawing only 55W seem to live up to their claim. I've had the Xtreme white series of bulbs in my cars for over a year with no fried harnesses.
OUCH!!!!that me be too much. You never want to go to much higher than the OEM specs. I've read some horror stories about fried harnesses. Lots of buck to replace. $750 if I'm not mistaken.

·
Registered
1,357 Posts
i've went through 3 pairs of hyper white bulbs... after the third pair, i finally caught onto the scam that the makers of the bulbs are trying to pull... these bulbs have a cool look to it, but the quality is horrible. they blow out like nothing... they probably use some sort of cheap metal for the filament inside the bulb.

anyway, i decided to stick to halogen until i got my hid. i luckily got my hid set with projectors for 300. that's an unbelievable price. aaron's (speeddemon's) price is also unbelievable. get hid, you will not regret it.

G

·
LEgEnD4LiFe said:
where can u get it for 300
There is no where specifically. It's kinda like getting lucky and look around. You could call Junk Yards and see if they have any working HID kits from like new wrecked BMW, Audi, Mercedes. The problem is though that if the front end is messed up (which it most likely is if it's at a junk yard), the HID's won't work. There is so much electricity running through the HID ballasts that it could start a bad fire if they were broken from a crash. So they are set to automatically kill themselves if they get to much pressure on them (right before the point that they break). And then they will never turn back on again.

·
Registered
85 Posts
so exactly what are the HID kits i thought HID was the whole lamp peices ......so is it best to buy the HID kit then the one piece JDM headlight kits? what to HID kits look like? are they like little boxes? im confused........

1 - 18 of 18 Posts