Acura-legend.com banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I live in the Bay Area, have a 91 5-speed sedan with 218K and I've decided to say goodbye. I'm trying to decide if I should junk it, part it out, donate it, or wait for it to fail the biennial smog next year and get my $1K from Arnold (assuming the state isn't bankrupt by then).

Major issues: It burns oil pretty badly, which I assume is from the valve seals. After idling, it will put out a pretty good amount of smoke. That pretty much guarantees it will fail smog with the new "visable smoke" rules. The clutch started chirping a week ago, which I assume is the release bearing from what I've read here. Other than that, it runs well.

Misc: Timing belt is due for replacement. The hood is dented in front and the body has little dings here and there. The auto door locks cycle for about 30 seconds every time you lock them. The leather interior is a bit beat. Salvage title from minor accident that dented hood.

Given all of that, what would you do? My preference is to see it gone in the next month or so. Do you think I can get $500 for it somehow? If not, I guess I'll let it sit until January and wait for my DMV notice.

Thanks for all of the help over the years. This is a great forum and has saved me a lot of time and money.

·
Registered
1,601 Posts
Part it out. You will make a lot more money if you have the time and space. If you list the parts you have on this forum they seem to go fast, even i can use some stuff from a junked car.

·
Registered
3,784 Posts
If you have time then parting it out might be a good idea, however you won't get it done in a month. Put it on craigs list and see if you get a bite for $1200. Otherwise many recyclers/junkyards will buy it but the price can vary from $300 up.

·
KA8 Legend Killer
452 Posts
I'd part it out you'd get more $$$ that way

·
Registered
162 Posts
If the interior/exterior (i.e. non-mechanical things) are in good shape, you'd probably be better off parting it out (provided you have the time and space of course, otherwise sell/junk it).

In fact, if it's an LS and you have the wood MT console, I'd be happy to drive up there and start the part-out! :rolleyes: Seriously. :giggle:

·
Registered
8,258 Posts
WAIT! you're in my area, if you decide to get rid of it, ive been looking for a 5-speed with a bad motor!

·
Registered
1,910 Posts
If the interior/exterior (i.e. non-mechanical things) are in good shape, you'd probably be better off parting it out (provided you have the time and space of course, otherwise sell/junk it).
+1

Wait, in cali you get $1000 if you don't pass smog????? Why don't you wait until then and get your money and then part it out. Am I missing something?

·
Registered
1,910 Posts
Well in that case, part out the interior and the taillights and headlights and anything else that you can so that it still runs. Take it to the junkyard and get a check for a G on top of what ever you could sell first.:yes:

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for the suggestions

To get the $1000 "retirement" payment it has to drive under it's own power and have the following:

All doors are present.
• Hood lid is present.
• Dashboard is present.
• Windshield is present.
• At least one side window glass is present.
• Driver's seat is present.
• At least one bumper is present.
• Exhaust system is present.
• All side and/or quarter panels are present.
• At least one headlight, one taillight, and one brake light are present

That doesnt leave a whole lot to sell. I guess my best bet is to sell off the rest and take the $1G. I'd probably take $500 to be done with it next month, so if anyone's interested, let me know.

·
Registered
643 Posts
any more specifics like the color of the car and the interior color? i'd love to pick this up... dont think i'll have any space for it though.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts