Acura Legend Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2,796 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Ok, I am 6 foot 3" and I think growing, and my 92 Legend sedans "telescoping only" steering wheel is beginning to bug me...I just need it to be about 2 inches or so higher so my knees don't interfere...

I am wondering, if I am able to locate a used 94-95 Steering wheel that has the power telescope/tilt on it, would I be able to uninstall my current one and install that one?

What all is required? Like, wiring..etc...b/c isn't the power tilt/tele. connected to the memory seats...

I feel like I have other questions that I don't know how to ask...Just if anyone knows, it would be great if you can help me out in detail.... Thanks guys!:)

·
Registered
2,796 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Also, I guess this is a vital question...If I did the switch...Would the top tilt height be any higher than the furthest telescoping position on my telescoping only steering wheel? Thanks.

·
Registered
851 Posts
I personally think the steering wheel console with swap with no problem, but maybe you still need to use your old steering wheel and the airbag. And about the wiring, the easiest way is just to power it up, and don't connect it to the seat memory features, because I don't think it will integrate well and you might need new memory computer or something. So, if you did the regular powering, you will get the tilt and telescoping function, but not the memory, but I think it should work for you right? as long as you have the tilt?

And I don't really understand your second question, can you paraphrase it? maybe? thank.

·
Registered
47 Posts
I can measure the range in mine if you like. I usually turn the auto tilt-away function off but it seems to have a pretty big range of movement. Not many cars (in my price range) had this when I was shopping, except Lexus.

·
Registered
2,796 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Alexander said:
I personally think the steering wheel console with swap with no problem, but maybe you still need to use your old steering wheel and the airbag. And about the wiring, the easiest way is just to power it up, and don't connect it to the seat memory features, because I don't think it will integrate well and you might need new memory computer or something. So, if you did the regular powering, you will get the tilt and telescoping function, but not the memory, but I think it should work for you right? as long as you have the tilt?

And I don't really understand your second question, can you paraphrase it? maybe? thank.
Sure...ok...

My 92 Legends steering wheel is telescopic....meaning that you pull the wheel either towards or away from you...When you pull it towards you, it is coming at you at slight upward angle(Probably a 30 degree angle)...When you push it away, it is going back down...I have to have it pulled all the way out towards me to get it high enough up....

If I get the 94-95 steering wheel, and set the tilt to its highest position, will that height be higher than my current telescopics highest/most outward position??

If so, how much higher are we talking?

·
Registered
851 Posts
I don't have the new coupe with telescopic, so I don't know for sure how high, but it is going to be higher for sure. Maybe another inch or two, don't one more time, don't count me on this OK, because I had the same like yours, 93 Legend Coupe, but it is definitely going to be higher, because once I tried the 95 coupe, I used the lowest setting, because the highest setting will kick the airbag to my face, no my body.

·
Registered
47 Posts
The tilt wheel on my 95 moves about 3-4" total range. Seems like more when you're watching it but that is what I eyeballed.
Didn't measure the telescope range. the tilt away feature seems to move more but that's only used when you turn off the engine.

G

·
Hmmm, I had no idea that the pre 94 legends didn't have the tilt feature. I have never heard of a car that couldn't do this. Seems wierd, cause I wonder what type of person they made the car specifically for.

·
Registered
47 Posts
I think Honda was prompted by the Lexus coupes which had this auto tilt-away function too. It is tied in with the memory seat settings. If the door is open it doesn't work. I usually turn it off. It was added starting with the 94 Legends. Most new cars in this segment do not even have telescoping wheels at all and no power or memory functions.

·
0000$$$$0000####0000
4,943 Posts
If you set the 94+ tilt at full high, it will be almost like you are driving a bus. It does get very high. But keep in mind that only a short postion actually pivots up, so the clearence for the legs is still up the lower part of the steering column. What helps the most here is the lower part of the steering wheel clears out of the way fairly well.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts