Acura Legend Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I kinda fell for the lexus sc400. its got everything. please tell me serious reasons why i should stick to the 94 legend ls coupe 70k miles. the lexus has 250 hp and 260 torque. nakamichi 12 disk changer 70 k miles, etc.
help me through this troubled time
mark

G

·
Hmmm Waht would get to me about the SC is what condition its in. & $$$$.... How is the Paint? And what color is the car..... There is SOOOOO much stuff you can do the SC.....
If your going for show...:D

But BTW, the Legend to me looks more sophisticated as far as the interior.. well Lets be honest the LS Coupe is one hot Coupe... Ide the the LS... Coupe!:D

Also I dont hear many SC lasting for mor than 120,000K+ on the road... But I know ALOT of legends that are WAYYYY past 120 and going strong!

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks for input
both cars are pretty much mint. great shape in and out. legend is the desert mist grey color and the sc400 is pure white. both with extended warranties and fully certified and inspected to be top notch.
i might stick with legend. it will be my third legend owned. best one yet
i had 90 coupe, 91 coupe
both great
i thought maybe a change was due....thus sc400

·
Registered
158 Posts
I almost did the same thing and was looking at other luxury vehicles like the SC, BMW 3/5/7 series...but came to the decision to stick with the legend.

I like the looks of the legend more than any other sport sedan on the road right now, and if I REALLY wanted lots of power, I would buy a true muscle/sports car.

It's hard to have the extremes of both luxury and sport, but I feel Acura hit the mark with the Legend.

That might be why I have been the proud owner of two!

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
obviously you are correct but the fact is the legend and sc400 are almost identical in what types of vehicle they are and what they produce for the consumer. both are 2 door luxury sport coupes. ok the legend is bigger so it has a bit more space in side but obviously they both are niot identical or they'd have the same name. but still they were the competing models of those years. i still love the legend no doubt.

·
0000$$$$0000####0000
4,926 Posts
I'd say drive the Lexus first before you make up your mind. I think you will find that the Lexus has a more luxurious feel, but it really isolates you from the road. For those who think the G2 steering is not as tight and sporty as the G1 steering, you will find the Lexus to be even more numb. If that is something you can get used to, buy the Lexus. A good suspension modification can make the Lexus feel real nice, but the driving feel of the two cars in stock form is very different. There really is very little sport feel in the Lexus and mostly the luxurious soft ride. The Legend Coupe on the other hand tends to lean toward a sporty touring ride.

·
Registered
158 Posts
True, but like Chris said, Lexus has that Cadillac feel with the floaty, luxurious ride...maybe not that extreme...but the feel is less sporty than that of a legend.

I still like how everyone who gets in my sedan comments on how smooth the ride is, and how comfortable it is. But as the driver, I like feeling connected to the road, so the legend offers the best of both worlds.

Not trying to nock on the SC...it is a nice looking ride.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Thai.95LCoupe said:

Also I dont hear many SC lasting for mor than 120,000K+ on the road... But I know ALOT of legends that are WAYYYY past 120 and going strong!
The SC400 engine is bulletproof and will easily last past 300,000 miles with proper maintenance. I'm a huge Acura fan, but with the exception of the interior, the Lexus is just a superior vehicle.

mr29rose, go to the SC400 forum at clublexus.com. Thay should be able to help you out with questions on the Lexus.

·
Registered
4,606 Posts
ShowDiscipline said:

The SC400 engine is bulletproof and will easily last past 300,000 miles with proper maintenance. I'm a huge Acura fan, but with the exception of the interior, the Lexus is just a superior vehicle.

mr29rose, go to the SC400 forum at clublexus.com. Thay should be able to help you out with questions on the Lexus.
the lexus sc400 engine is not as good and will not last as long as the legend engine there arent many of thouse around and the ususally dont make it to 200,000

·
Registered
50 Posts
also check the...

On the SC check the gauge cluster turn it to full bright and look at the lights to see if there is any slight blink in the gauges or needles. The SC gauges are really nice, but if one bulb is burnt, even on the needle, then you need to replace the entire gauge unit - @$450! Lexus does not sell the individual bulbs and only the entire unit.

Also look in the rear view mirror - some have problems with foging and replacing one is pricy.

Look at the headlight housing - some sc's have problems with foging as well. Sc headlights are projectors.

The trunk space sucks in the sc, there really is no space.

·
Life Ruiner
4,701 Posts
the sc is a mid to low 14 sec car, because of the 4.0 V8. there are lots of mods in Japan as well as the states.

If you want fast get the SC

if you want style get the legend.

~Hybrid

·
Registered
1,643 Posts
the sc is a mid to low 14 sec car, because of the 4.0 V8. there are lots of mods in Japan as well as the states.
I believe only the 2000 model does somewhere in the 14's but definitely not low 14's. The model he's talking about is a 95, which is only capable from high 14's to low 15's.

·
Registered
299 Posts
If your coupe is a 6-speed I say keep the Legend...

Sportier, just as fast stock, and much more exclusive. I agree that the interior is nicer as well.

If your car is an auto though, I would say go for the SC.

·
Registered
314 Posts
the lexus sc400 engine is not as good and will not last as long as the legend engine there arent many of thouse around and the ususally dont make it to 200,000
Roger, what are you basing this statement on? The Lexus 32valve 4.0 V-8 *is* a bulletproof engine and will last just as long as the Legend's 3.2 V-6. I am a regular on the Club Lexus Forum and there are many many 4.0 V-8 powered SCs and LSs with over 200K, and there are even a few with 300K miles

Lexus build quality is second to none. Sure, all cars have some problems, some design flaws, etc, but overall the Lexus SC is a 'good' car just like our Legends are 'good' cars. In fact, before I bought the Legend, I was considering the Lexus SC, Infiniti Q, and Mazda Millenia, as they are all in the same price (used) @ $10-12K range.

As another has said, Lexus ride quality is way more isolated and plush compared to the Legend. My LS400 doesn't handle as well as the Legend, but it's definitely more powerful. I compare the Lexus driving experience more to Mercedes (passenger's car), and the Legend more to a BMW (driver's car).

While the Lexus ride *is* quite smooth and isolated, it's not the same floaty/plush all_over_the_road Cadillac or Lincoln Town car ride.

A big plus of the Lexus SC (and LS/GS series) is that it's RWD, as all world class luxury cars are. Since I am a huge Legend fan, I overlooked the FWD aspect of our cars b/c they offer so much for the money and look fantastic .

I'd say it's a tough call between a mid '90s SC400 and a clean Legend Type 2 Coupe. I've owned 2 gen 1 Legend Coupes (both good cars) and now a '94 LS Sedan, and I still would LOVE to own a '93-'95 Coupe.

Regards,

·
Registered
3,728 Posts
Roger said:

Roger, where did you hear that from? All the early 90's Lexus engines and trannys are built with the highest standards. It's almost impossible to run down one of those engines. Although I consider the Legend a well built car, I do believe it's not up to the level of Lexus of those years in terms of quality. But yes, the Legend's style is much to be desired than Lexus, except maybe the 1st Gen GS300, that's my favorite Lexus body style, it's classy and sporty, although it was underpowered. And it is extremely rare.

As for the SC400, yes, RWD is almost impracticle in MI. But hey, we do have at least 5 snowless months.:D

·
Registered
614 Posts
From personal experience i would say toyota engines and cars are more trouble free than acuras. My 95 legend has given me way more problems than my 88 toyota camry.

·
Life Ruiner
4,701 Posts
legendtype2 said:

I believe only the 2000 model does somewhere in the 14's but definitely not low 14's. The model he's talking about is a 95, which is only capable from high 14's to low 15's.
I guess you should tell that to the slightly moded 94,95,97 SC 400 owners at both Sears point and Sacramento raceway, that i see every now and again, running their respecatble 14.1-14.0

~Hybrid

·
Registered
154 Posts
I worked at a Lexus dealership last summer and learned that the 4.0L V8 by Lexus is literally one of the best, most reliable, and most bulletproof engines ever built. I consistantly saw LS400 (same engine as SC) with over 300,000 miles! Virtually every salesman and many of the mechanics drove some Lexus w/ the 4.0L V8.
When considering this car, I would look at the fact that it is rear-wheel drive. Having been a Lot Tech at Lexus, I can tell you that the SC400 will be TERRIBLE in the snow. I would consider another car if you live where it snows. Also look at the fuel economy, the 3.2L V6 will definately be better. The SC is a very nice car, I even considered buying a 92 SC300 w/ 5 speed (go to Turbo imports.com - there's one with 756 hp Twin Turbo). However, at the end of the day, when I got in my Legend, I was happy I made the decesion to get the Legend not SC.

Sorry about long post - hope this helps

1 - 20 of 20 Posts