Acura Legend Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Guys I have 95 GS Legend Coupe and would like to install some nice cool blue light on to replace those plain courtesy lights.
Any knows where to get them and how much.

Thanks

-Keyless remote entry/ starter Alarm
-Type II
-Cell phone cradle

·
2,879 Posts
so you have a GS coupe eh??? hmmmmmm

goldylege said:
Guys I have 95 GS Legend Coupe and would like to install some nice cool blue light on to replace those plain courtesy lights.
Any knows where to get them and how much.

Thanks

-Keyless remote entry/ starter Alarm
-Type II
-Cell phone cradle

·
Registered
4,039 Posts
Re: Re: 95 coupe Courtesy Blue lights

Avarice said:
so you have a GS coupe eh??? hmmmmmm

Yea, they only made 12 that year.
They all seem to pop up on Autotrader.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Come on.
I'm sure they made more than 12.

No offense but I happen to own one -1995 Legend GS Coupe.

They come with :
-160 on the dash
-Traction Control System
-Type II Engine

Somebody please correct me if I'm wrong. Maybe I own the wrong car here.

If anyone knows where I can get the lights, please hollar.
thanks
:)

·
Registered
4,658 Posts
These guys are going to keep messing with you so I'll tell you how it really goes before more come along :D

1991-1992 Coupes = 200HP (ALL TRIMS, Base,L,LS) TypeI Engine / 140mph Speedo

1993-1995 Coupes = 230HP (ALL TRIMS, Base, L,LS) TypeII Engine / 160mph Speedo

Here's where you got confused, this is the sedan lineup, which is MORE complicated:

1991-1995 Legend Sedans = 200HP (ALL TRIMS, EXCEPT GS SEDAN) TypeI Engine / 140mph Speedo

1994-1995 Legend Sedans = 230HP (ONLY GS SEDAN) TypeII Engine / 160mph Speedo.

The only "GS" is on the Sedan Lineup, all Sedans are TypeI engine, EXCEPT for the GS Sedan. There are no GS Coupes.. all Coupes 1993+ are TYPEII

Basically the GS Sedan just got more "Sporty" then the other sedans by using the Coupe's Engine and Suspension. There are some minor cosmetic differences that make it different from other Sedans as well.

Does that make sense? Your Coupe is a TypeII, most likely an LS model (I don't think L came with Traction Control). All Coupes after 93+ are TypeII regardless of trim.

If you want some proof, run a VIN check, ILOVELEGEND will probably be nice enough to provide you with one. it will tell you your trim and vehicle history, ever been salvaged, crashed, etc..:

See This Thread:
http://www.acura-legend.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?s=&threadid=2392

Or you can go to www.carfax.com ... and it enter it there, it wont show you, your history (for the free portion), but you can still get the "Info" portion that shows your trim/year etc...for free

Hope that helps!

·
Registered
89 Posts
Don't mess with the junk on ebay. I have bought 6 times from 6 different "experts" and only got good bulbs once. The rest were either colored junk or browned out or just burned out within a couple of months.
Go to AutoDynamics or one of the other stores and just pay your money. You will get better bulbs and not have to mess around with changing them over and over.
Take the benefit of my "experience".

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Guys thanks for all your response.
You opened up my eyes. All this time I thought I had A GS coupe,
at least that's what the dealer told me. :)

Goold looking y'all.
-Goldy

·
Registered
38 Posts
hi, i put blue cold cathode flourescent lights as my courtesy lights for both front footwell. my bro sells them on his site, case-mod.com. u dont have to buy em from tehre but im just giving an idea. basically u buy an inverter and the cathode light plugs into the inverter. and what i did was i cut the wires from the old bulb, and soldered the inverter wires onto it. so the lights actually dim out when the door closes. also, they turn on with the courtesy lights. of course, u wont be able to change the other bulbs to cold cathode, cuz its a 12" bar. btw, i just used 2 sided tape to put the lights down there. but u have to be careful with the inverter, bcz the back of it can shock you. so i just heatshrinked the back side, though you can just put electrical tape. im sure there are many sites online that sell cold cathode flourescent lights and an inverter. try a search on google. here's a pic:

·
Registered
38 Posts
hi, i put blue cold cathode flourescent lights as my courtesy lights for both front footwell. my bro sells them on his site, case-mod.com. u dont have to buy em from tehre but im just giving an idea. basically u buy an inverter and the cathode light plugs into the inverter. and what i did was i cut the wires from the old bulb, and soldered the inverter wires onto it. so the lights actually dim out when the door closes. also, they turn on with the courtesy lights. of course, u wont be able to change the other bulbs to cold cathode, cuz its a 12" bar. btw, i just used 2 sided tape to put the lights down there. but u have to be careful with the inverter, bcz the back of it can shock you. so i just heatshrinked the back side, though you can just put electrical tape. im sure there are many sites online that sell cold cathode flourescent lights and an inverter. try a search on google. here's a pic:

·
Registered
38 Posts
ya im going to try it soon. ill just have to bring wire from somewhere and bring it under the carpet. if your lights dim out, it looks pretty sickkk, especially at night. im sure that the cold cathode lights come in diff sizes, but my brother only has 12". i know for a fact, that a lot of places sell different colors too. i like the look tho. at the very least, if u get bulbs in the door panels, then u can use this in the footwell, as they are pretty bright.

·
Registered
169 Posts
safoo said:
ya im going to try it soon. ill just have to bring wire from somewhere and bring it under the carpet. if your lights dim out, it looks pretty sickkk, especially at night. im sure that the cold cathode lights come in diff sizes, but my brother only has 12". i know for a fact, that a lot of places sell different colors too. i like the look tho. at the very least, if u get bulbs in the door panels, then u can use this in the footwell, as they are pretty bright.
if you have a chance... can you post up a tutorial/walkthrough/DIY for the front and back if its not too much trouble... i havent done too much soldering in my time... thanks for any help

·
Registered
38 Posts
sure i can tell u how to do it. here's how i did it...

for the driver side footwell,

the bulb is on the left side. just detach the clip that goes into the bulb (if you dont want to use that bulb anymore).

now use wire strippers to expose a little bit of the wire of both the ground and 12v wire that was going into the bulb.

now you will splice the 12v wire of the inverter to the 12v wire that was going to the bulb. and ground wire to ground wire. (red to red, black to black). to splice, u can just twist the inverter wire around the wire that was going into the bulb and use electrical tape around it, or u can actually cut the original bulb wire and use the splice things (dunno wat their called, their used to splice, u can ask anyone at home depot or even kragen). for this you would twist the inverter wire around one end of the cut wire, and put those 2 wires into one end of the splice thing. and then put the other end of the cut wire into the other end of the splice thing. then just press the tabs and all 3 wires are now connected. the 3rd way to join the wires is to solder. just use a solder with soldering wire to join the inverter wire to the exposed area on the bulb wire. then wrap electrical tape around the soldered parts.

i put electrical tape on the back of the inverter. depending on which one you buy, either it will already be heatshrinked, in which case u dont have to worry about getting shocked. but if the back is exposed, you need to put something there so you dont get shocked.

the cold cathode plugs into the inverter. i just used two sided 3m tape to attach the inverter and the cold cathode underneath in the footwell.

for the right side, you need to take off the 3 screws on the front part of the plastic cover in the footwell to expose the wire of the light. and do the same thing as you did on the left side.

its really very simple to do. and the lights look really sharp. maybe radio shack sells an inverter and cold cathode light. other wise just search the net for cold cathode kits. hope it was clear wat i wrote, but pls feel free to ask if its not.

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
goldylege said:
They come with :
-160 on the dash
-Traction Control System
-Type II Engine

Somebody please correct me if I'm wrong. Maybe I own the wrong car here.

If anyone knows where I can get the lights, please hollar.
Just so you don't think we are pulling your leg. Give us your VIN, someone here will run a check on your car and we can show you the proof. Believe us, this topic has come up LOTS of TIMES. So, believe us when we say there is no such thing as the 'Legendary GS Coupe'! ;)

Yours is definitely a LS or a L model with Traction Control, though, I am not sure if the L had the option of having TCCS, but if it didn't, then it's definitely a LS or a GS with 2 missing doors. It's easy to have the GS Emblem (if there is one, I own a L, so I wouldn't know) on any car. Heck, I can put a Type-R emblem on my L, but that would look too ricey.

·
Registered
760 Posts
what year of legend's have courtesy lights? my '93 doesnt, anyonw know how hard it would be to wire them in?

*CORRECTION: the passenger side doesnt have one, the drivers side has it, lol, im dumb some times.

·
Registered
4,658 Posts
Courtesey lights... aren't those the lights in the footwells and on each door?

The Courtesey light control knob... controls the brightness of each one, and they stay on when you're driving if at full brightness. At least I think so, that's the way it is on my GS Sedan.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts