Acura Legend Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
376 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I always knew the older 3.2tl had a motor similiar to 2nd gens but never knew how close till i looked at one yesterday. Now how come I never hear about these Tl's? are the power rating the same? displacement? computer? would this be a good idea for a swap? It would be a much newer motor. =) just tryin to find ideas and answers....and how bout that new accord v6 supercharger fom comptech?! haha

zol

·
Junior Mint
629 Posts
The 3.2 TLs from those years also had 200 HP. The only advantage to a swap would be a newer motor, but you might as well get a TYPE II swap.

The Comptech supercharger....it's pricey. It would be something I would get for my Accord if I ever get a few thousand extra lying around (not likely).

·
Registered
125 Posts
Hehe. As a matter a fact I was checking the forums there yesterday about the CL-S supercharger(same as Accord right?) Be cool to supercharge ma moms CL-S eh? VROOOM VROOM!

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
Re: Re: 97 3.2TL motor........exactly the same?!

E K said:
The 3.2 TLs from those years also had 200 HP. The only advantage to a swap would be a newer motor, but you might as well get a TYPE II swap.

The Comptech supercharger....it's pricey. It would be something I would get for my Accord if I ever get a few thousand extra lying around (not likely).
So, if the 3.2TL Engine can be swapped into a Legend and Comptech makes a supercharger for that engine, wouldn't that Supercharger also fit our 3.2 Type-I or Type-II configurations as well? :confused:

·
Registered
3,728 Posts
Re: Re: Re: 97 3.2TL motor........exactly the same?!

asianlegend said:

So, if the 3.2TL Engine can be swapped into a Legend and Comptech makes a supercharger for that engine, wouldn't that Supercharger also fit our 3.2 Type-I or Type-II configurations as well? :confused:
Comptech does not make a supercharger for the 1st gen TL. They do have one for the Current Gen CL

·
Registered
3,728 Posts
Re: Re: 97 3.2TL motor........exactly the same?!

E K said:
But it's a lot harder to find a TypeII engine with low miles than to find a 1st Gen 3.2TL engine with low miles, since they did make those til 98.

My question is why did Honda/Acura choose to put the TypeI engine in the 3.2TL over the TypeII. It just doesn't make sense to me, both engines were availible in 96, why not put in the bigger one. Although the 3.2TL's speedo does to go 160mph like the typeII.

·
0000$$$$0000####0000
4,926 Posts
Re: Re: Re: 97 3.2TL motor........exactly the same?!

WhiteLegend said:

But it's a lot harder to find a TypeII engine with low miles than to find a 1st Gen 3.2TL engine with low miles, since they did make those til 98.

My question is why did Honda/Acura choose to put the TypeI engine in the 3.2TL over the TypeII. It just doesn't make sense to me, both engines were availible in 96, why not put in the bigger one. Although the 3.2TL's speedo does to go 160mph like the typeII.
My guess is because the TL is actually a Vigor replacement, and a 200HP 3.2V6 was a big imnprovement over the 5 cylinder 170HP engine, even if that same eninge is available in the 2.5TL. Also, the probably had high hopes for the newly released G3 Legend (RL to us) and that car only had 210HP, so maybe they didn't want to one up the RL.

·
Registered
3,728 Posts
Re: Re: Re: Re: 97 3.2TL motor........exactly the same?!

ChrisK said:

My guess is because the TL is actually a Vigor replacement, and a 200HP 3.2V6 was a big imnprovement over the 5 cylinder 170HP engine, even if that same eninge is available in the 2.5TL. Also, the probably had high hopes for the newly released G3 Legend (RL to us) and that car only had 210HP, so maybe they didn't want to one up the RL.
Then they should have put the Type II in the RL, **** STUPID STUPID ACURA :mad: Probably the only car company in history that downgraded the engine in their flagship vehicle.

·
Registered
1,564 Posts
Whoa man, not only Acura downgraded their flagship, but so did Infiniti. The G2 Q45 was bumped down to 4.1 liters and had less power also.

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
takemorepills said:
Whoa man, not only Acura downgraded their flagship, but so did Infiniti. The G2 Q45 was bumped down to 4.1 liters and had less power also.
That's all right, since BMW did the same in there 3-series in 98-99, when it dumped the 325 and bumped it down to 323. That was a mistake, as the American market sees numbers instead of what was the result of the bumpdown as a sign of strength. So, the 2.3 liter 6 was a good design, but people were like what the hell?:mad:

·
Registered
1,590 Posts
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: 97 3.2TL motor........exactly the same?!

WhiteLegend said:

Then they should have put the Type II in the RL, **** STUPID STUPID ACURA :mad: Probably the only car company in history that downgraded the engine in their flagship vehicle.
Well to be fair, the RL did have more torque and a broader and lower torque curve.

·
Registered
4,657 Posts
The RL motor, was tuned more for smoothness, and more torque at lower RPMs. More Luxury type, not geared towards performance/high rev. Let's face it the RL, needs a V8 to compete with the big boys (not mention a restyling)

·
Registered
376 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
another quick question, did the newer (94-95) TypeI motors have TCS? because the TL i saw had it, and i wasnt sure if it was standard on non-TypeII's. =)

·
Registered
3,728 Posts
Zol said:
another quick question, did the newer (94-95) TypeI motors have TCS? because the TL i saw had it, and i wasnt sure if it was standard on non-TypeII's. =)
Nope, no TypeI engine ever came with TCS. Only 93-95 LS coupes and 94-95 GS sedan came with TCS.

·
Registered
397 Posts
With all this in mind, since the G2 Type I engine (non-TCS) is the same as the 97 TL, shouldn't we be able to use some of the same aftermarket parts i.e. intakes?

·
Registered
3,728 Posts
pYmpdaddi said:
With all this in mind, since the G2 Type I engine (non-TCS) is the same as the 97 TL, shouldn't we be able to use some of the same aftermarket parts i.e. intakes?
Problem is aftermarket support for the 1st gen TL is as scarce as ours.

·
Registered
376 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Nope, no TypeI engine ever came with TCS. Only 93-95 LS coupes and 94-95 GS sedan came with TCS.
Whitelegend- So this is getting a bit confusing. No 1st gen TLs came with TypeII motors. And no TypeI motor came with TCS. CAN SOMEONE EXPLAIN TO ME WHY THIS TL MOTOR LOOKED LIKE A TYPEII AND HAD THE TCS SYSTEM ON IT? =)

zol

·
:)
436 Posts
In 2003 the TL-S will get a 6spd tranny:) I'm thinking that they are going a close swap for the Legend and once it is out I will be looking into it. :) Yeah a 260hp v-tec 6spd

G

·
WOW, I'm getting really really confused here. So what Generation TL was it that has a C32A1 engine? Is it the G1 or G2 TL?

How sure are we that this is the same motor, does anyone have pictures, I'm very interested in this because of the mods that may be available for this car that we don't have for us.

·
Registered
376 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
It's the 1st gen TL. and IMO we legend owners are way ahead of the game when it comes to aftermarket parts.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts