Acura-legend.com banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My car used to whine like it had a supercharger when my Air Conditioning was ON. Being that it is winter, I haven't had a problem with it, it used to bother the heck out of me.

So end of last week I was at a stop light and had my tunes turned down and I noticed that I heard this strange sound coming from my engine. So I pulled over, and popped the hood, and the sound seemed to have been coming from the belts. They sounded loose, but when I had my boyfriend check it, he said that it was the a/c compressor, and that I needed a new one. Being that he is a Nissan driver, I figured I'd ask the Acura guys/girls who might have experienced the same problem, before I go to the dealer and have them break my wallet. The sound doesn't seem to get louder no matter what speed I am going, and if I rev it up it doesn't really change neither. If I do indeed need a new a/c compressor, anyone know if its an easy job to do? Or is it worth getting it done by the mechanic?

Any ideas?

·
Registered
744 Posts
Hello.

This job should be tackled by a facility that has a recovery system regardless of what R fluid your system requires.

If your system has lost all its AC fluid then I personally would remove and replace the compressor along with the rubber o rings to save some money and although you can buy the new refrigerant... I would have it filled and tested for leaks at a shop that has the equipment.

Give your B-friend the gift of a HELM manual for you car and have him go at it. His first repair action may very well pay for the manual. HELM says recovery should be performed by a shop certified to do so, however, gives specs and directions for charging the system with the correct R fluid.

KNLNGUS.

·
Registered
70 Posts
My Sedan had the same problem. A/C compressor was whining / failed so I had a mechanic cut the belt to A/C since it's winter time. Just ordered a new one from Acura of Augusta and will have it installed in the coming week. Good luck.

parts & install is around $900.00.

·
Registered
1,658 Posts
I have the same whining noise. I was told that these are the bearings making the noice.

Next time I change the timing belt, I'll change the bearings too.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts